Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cerebellar hypoplasia (video of Amy)

The shelter, Purrfect Pals, is very good and I know Wobbles is receiving the best care he can in the circumstances. He does have to be in a large cage (very airy with a solid floor and close to huge windows) most of the time but is allowed out when possible. The shelter doesn't specialize in CH cats the way The Hermitage does, they don't have room since they specialize in FIV+, FLV+ and ferals. They have so many socialization volunteers that when I volunteered recently they said they didn't need me. If only I had a huge house, something I know many on PT wish they had.

How old is Amy now? I'm sure you have posted this before, but I can't remember.

Amy will be 4 in August. I dread her approaching another birthday since each one brings a further and worse decline in her abilities.
    Last edited by Laura's Babies; 05-02-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Amy is such a lucky little witty to have you in her life to love and care for her!

Thank you so much for posting that of Amy, she is a beautiful and spirited girl with so much determination. I have heard of CH but never seen a cat with this condition before. I am so glad she has somebody who cares for her the way you do, she is very lucky.
    Is she on medication perminantly and is she in any kind of pain?

She is wonderful and and inspiration

I had not seen a CH kitty before and so I am glad to have been able to see Amy in action. I had no idea that the wobble was as severe as it is. CCL's Lucky may have a milder case but I don't think his is very noticeable.

I watched Amy when I got up an hour or so again and yes it made me have LES because it startled me. I keep thinking about her and now came back to post. I watch the video over and over and now she makes me

Like the others have said - I am thankful that she came to your house. I know you are one terrific meowmie to all of your babies.

I can see how determined that Amy is to go after her food - and she does not know anything is wrong or different with her right? She has all the perks of being a PT kitty

Amy is one pretty girl - nice shiny coat. I will enjoy seeing "the look" if you are able to capture it for us. Thank you for posting, Laura!!

I am glad I am the one that got her too! Like I told the vet when I took her for that very first visit, when I picked her up in that store, it was for a lifelong committment and there was no turning back, no matter what! I thank GOD it was me that got her for more reasons that you know.. It is the whole "Dance" that came with her and I wouldn't have missed it for the world, even as emotional as it is at times. It is an experience that I wouldn't have wanted to miss.

CJ & Sirrahbed, there is no medicine for this condition, no meds, no surgery, no physical therapy... nothing. I think she knows she is "different" but it don't bother her. The only pain she has is from the falls when she looses her balance and sometimes, even when walking on the floor, she falls hard. Everyone thinks she is in pain but she isn't. You can manulipulate her legs and hips, mash on them, pull them, and she don't care or try to fight you but in doing that, it makes them weaker for a few days so I forbid the vets to do that anymore. (That is what they want to do the first time a new one sees her for some reason)

I am glad this has helped some of you understand what CH does to them. That was part of the purpose in showing her in this video.

Here is a old video I got with my old camera (so the quality is bad) to show you the decline of her CH over the several years since this video was shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    These CH kitties are so crammed packed full of determination that I am in awe of this little furry bundle of love and sweetness. She sets her goals and just won't give up until she accomplishes it. I have had to learn to leave her to accomplish her goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    I am glad this has helped some of you understand what CH does to them. That was part of the purpose in showing her in this video.
    Thank you for posting this Laura. I've never seen this before so it's very educational. I'm also glad that someone with a wonderful heart picked her up to take her home that day.

I'm currently dealing with Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome with Nakita. It's a neurological disorder (possible seizure activity) that makes her attack her hind legs and back and sends her racing across the room (it looks like she has been shocked).There is no cure (or known cause) for that but there is meds that I may have to put her on since her 'episodes' seem to be increasing. I'm trying everything (nutritional, environmental, stress reducing etc) to see if I can control them before applying the meds.

Give Amy a hug for me, will ya?
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

My CH cat Diva is 10. Her condition seemed to level off at about 4 or 5, I forget. I'm just used to her. Unlike Amy, she INSISTS on help using the box! One of us has to hold her while she does her (sometimes aromatic) business!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

That is so heartbreaking to see.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Im so thankful Amy came to live with you and bless you for taking care of her! It must be so hard, and sad sometimes but it is great to hear she is a fighter and that must be so rewarding! I had never heard of CH before, Lut had mentioned something about Inka's balence before but I never knew that it could be this severe. Keep up the good work Amy and hugs from Coco and Caramel!

Thank-You Kay (Kfamr) for the beautiful signature!

Marie

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Great job Laura! So happy to see you are still promoting our special little kitties! Amy actually seems to get around quite well for a CH girlie. If you saw some of my herd in action, you'd be stunned, but having had special needs, and CH kitties for close to 12 years now, I don't bat an eye anymore except when one particular boy climbs the stairs. Teeter Totter is a very determined and headstrong young boy, and sometimes he does things that scare the wits out of me! But to NOT let them take things at their own pace, and to coddle them, doesn't help them gain confidence, and learn their abilities. Kisses for sweet Amy from my gang of misfits, and hugs to you for teaching others.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Wow. Laura I know you have described her condition before and I thought I had a grasp of what it's like but to see this video just amazed me. I had no clue. I sat here with my mouth hanging open as I watched. I just had no idea at the extent of CH on Amy.

I agree with the others that she is very lucky to have you. When I watched the second video I realized that I would be fighting the urge to help her all the time. What a little trooper she is.

From Decker with Love

I had no idea what CH kitties were. Thanks for the education.

I truly admire you and all those who have pets with chronic health issues, although I think it often more stressful and difficult for us the humans, then the animals themselves. Your video shows what a determined, brave, and beautiful girl your Amy is. She probablly doesn't realize there is anything special about her except that she is a happy girl in a wonderful home!

I am amazed at the response to this video am I am glad so many of you have had the chance to actuallty SEE what CH is for the first time with my little go getter Amy!

Jan, I am SO glad you saw it, that is what I wanted, for you (and others with CH kitties) to see it and give me some feedback as to how bad/good Amy's is. Since she is my first experience with one, I don't have a clue. Jan, do you have video mode on your camera so that you can take video of some of yours and post them? (So I can see... Perhaps a little more promoting and educating, there are a lot of new people here!)

The vet that Amy and Giz saw today has experience with CH kitties. He is a new graduate from LSU Vet School but he has a friend who has a cat with CH and he said Amy's Ch is mild compared to his friends so that made me feel lots better.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Blue
    I'm currently dealing with Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome with Nakita. It's a neurological disorder (possible seizure activity) that makes her attack her hind legs and back and sends her racing across the room (it looks like she has been shocked).There is no cure (or known cause) for that but there is meds that I may have to put her on since her 'episodes' seem to be increasing. I'm trying everything (nutritional, environmental, stress reducing etc) to see if I can control them before applying the meds.
    Poor Nakita! I had nerve damage after extensive jaw surgery and for a few years afterwards would suddenly and occasionally feel as though I had hundreds of ants crawling all over my lower lip and across my gums. It wasn't like pins and needles, it was more like a mild electric current running across. There is no escape from it and I did used to feel as though I was desparate to run away from my own body. I hope you can find some help for Nakita. Are the meds some kind of sedative?