Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yikes! need food ideas!

Yikes! need food ideas!

All of the sudden, a lot of RSVPs are pouring in for the baby shower I'm throwing for Ashley. I am overwhelmed because a lot of people who I'd swear would not come are coming!

In the beginning, I joked that I'll have 50 people at the shower, and now its looks as if that is going to be a very real prospect.

Sooooo...... what do I FEED 50 people?

Here's what we have planned so far:
    ~ Itallian hoagies for 20-30 people, from a real Philly hoagie shop (only the best!)
    ~ Wawa cheese hoagies for 10-15 people
    ~ chips to go with the hoagies
    ~ Fruit salad
    ~ Soft pretzel nuggets with a variety of dippings (cheese, mustard, etc) -- they are real pretzels and better than anything you've ever tasted! Not at all like the frozen pretzels ou can microwave or bake yourself.
    ~ a half sheet cake
    ~ a rubber duckie cake (thats is if I can master the process of making it between now and the shower!)
    ~ my aunt is bringing some type of dessert
    ~ Veggie tray

Now what else can I add that is NON-MESSY, and easy to prepare. I stress non-messy because hubby wants meatball sandwiches or roast beef, etc. I can see all these people crammed into my off-white livingroom dropping red meatballs or gravy all over everything as they bump into each other.

We had ordered wraps for my son's graduation party last year.... and not one of them were eaten. People devoured the hoagies. But I'm afraid another hoagie tray would be hoagie overkill. I'd like perhaps something different that would appeal to people who might not want a sandwich. But what?

HELP!

Also, what about chairs? I have enough for 20 people..... I also cannot fathom where I'll PUT an extra 30 chairs (as a matter of fact I can't see the 20 chairs in the hosue either.) Lets pray for a sunny day so people can spill outside and enjoy themselves without feeling like sardines.

My first suggestion would be cocktail shrimp (but I know Grant is highly allergic). Would having them around be too risky?

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    My first suggestion would be cocktail shrimp (but I know Grant is highly allergic). Would having them around be too risky?
    Definately risky. All he has to do is pick up a napkin that someone used to wipe their hands after eating shrimp and his throat starts swelling shut. Though I'd love shrimp myself! Yummmm

hmmm..... it might pose a cat public relations nightmare. 5 cats, 50 people appalled at cats up on the table stealing the shrimp! LOLOLOLOLOL

Kim, something my mom always brings to parties or serves is this..

Get a jar of whole pickles (garlic flavored taste best for this!)
    Cream Cheese
    Lunch meat Ham

Cover pickles (dry them with paper towel first) in cream cheese, wrap in ham. It usually takes 2 pieces.

Slice in thin slices. You can either just plop them on a serving plate or place them in a shape (at Christmas time my mom makes them into a christmas tree shape)

They are SO good but usually gone quickly.

Deviled eggs are another thing that goes quickly around here.

*edit* Here's a recipe I found for the pickles..
    http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/C...esePickles.asp

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I never had anything like that -- sounds interesting!

I was thinking deviled eggs. Hubby loves them, and I'm sure he'd be able to whip up a quick batch.

A few other things...

Hummus & Crackers/Fried Pita/bread
    Cheese & Meat tray (just cut some cheese and meats up, add crackers)
    Cheeseball & Crackers
    Coleslaw
    Potato Salad
    7 Layer Dip (Beans, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cheese, black olives, tomatoes)

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

What about a tray of chicken wings? Finger sandwiches made with chicken salad? Wish I could be there to help you do some of the food, that is right up my alley.... I'd cook up a big ole pot of Jambalaya and thay would fill everybody's tummy and cheap to make too...50 people...WOW! I see why you are frantic...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Pigs in a Blanket.......super easy to make, not messy and people love them. You can make a ton of them in no time too. Cold cuts, spread with cream cheese and cut in slices. YUMMY!!!! Macaroni salad-easy and makes a ton quickly also. Have fun! You guys will do a great job!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Fondue! You could do chocolate with fruit. Cheese with veggies. Beans and cheese with Fritos and crackers.

That is a lot of people to have in one house. Is there somewhere else you could move it to? My sister-in-law had her baby shower at church. There was plenty of room for a lot of people and there are tables and chairs already there so they didn't have to rent any. If you could move the shower somewhere else you could also have some messier foods. Even if you have to rent a room somewhere it may be worth it.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

How about stuffed celery? I bring that to all my family's functions. I mix cream cheese with blue cheese and stuff it in the celery. I've never had ANY leftovers. Great finger food too!

Another suggestion would be a nacho dip with chips. Follow the recipe on the back of a Velveeta box. To keep it warm, put it in a crock pot on low.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Donna, LOVE the idea about cheese and nachos! (maybe because I love to eat them ) but my biggest fear about something like fondue or chips, is people crowding around the pot, and when they turn around, they'll bump into somebody, and there goes gooey hot stuff all over someone else and my carpet. It is my worst nightmare. Thank goodness I have a steam cleaner on loan!

As far as macaroni or chicken salad, or anything of the like, the party might very well be on a hot day. Yesterday here was pretty hot, and as it gets closer to June, its goning to get much hotter. Anyway, I worry about it spoiling. I can't have 20 or so people digging into food that might trigger food poisoning while we only have one bathroom! LOL ~ I'm not terribly worried about the bathroom situation because last year when we had 30 people here for my son's graduation, it was never in demand. Most people weren't here long enough to use it.

But salad-wise, a pasta salad mixed with itallian dressing and lots of veggies would make a wonderful addition to the menu!

Please, keep the ideas coming!

I would like to move the location of the shower, but at this point we can't for two reasons: finances, and I don't want to re-send out 30-ish invitations with a change of address! Besides, I really don't want to load up the car with 50 presents!

This shower is taking on a life of its own. Lots of people pretty much saying, "can I come?" and lots of people asking, "can I bring so-and-so?" I have not turned anyone down yet and won't turn anyone away.

Yea girl, don't turn anyone down who asks if they can bring something! Why not cover your floor (and furniture) with some plastic sheeting so that would not be a worry and you could relax and enjoy the shower.

As for the chicken salad sandwiches, only put out a plate of them at a time and keep the rest refridgerated? I wouldn't set everything out all at once anyway. We did a wedding with the cheese squares and meat roll ups and we didn't set it all out because it was summertime in Florida and the coolness of the freshest set out stuff made it really appealing to everyone. We also did this at my grand daughters wedding recpetion.

I am SO excited over this for you, I hope you take pleanty of pictures and post them here for us to see...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Why don't you get a platter of chicken nuggets or chicken fingers from Chick-Fil-A? That's what my mom had at my shower and they were SO popular!

baked cheese fingers are great!!!, so are chicken balls, eggrolls, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed peppers, cheese cheese & more cheese

There is a really good KD bake! It has a box of KD, bacon & tomatos in it. If you go to the kraft website, they have all sorts of great recipes & with KD being cheap, its easy on the posket book

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about fried foods! We do have a fryer and it would so simple to just toss breaded chicken into it for a few minutes and put them out. Only problem with that is it makes the house smell like McDonalds But, the chicken fingers from Sams Club are So Yummy! Decisions, decisions!

I have already spent waaaayyy over my budgeted amount on this party, so anything now would have to be very inexpensive -- sigh. We could have so many more options if I had more money

Laura, a bunch of people are bringing food (thank goodness) but they asked me what they could bring, I would never dream of asking anyone else to bring something unless they volunteered.