Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why could a family dog kill kittens?

Why could a family dog kill kittens?

I already posted this in the behavior section of pet talk, but you wonderful ladies here, usually give me great advice here... So I'm just wondering...

What would make a family dog kill kittens?

This is the situation...

My XSIL has about 13 cats (6 of them kittens) and 4 dogs (one of them small, and the other 3 bigger breeds) up in a 2 bedroom apartment. Over the last three days, she has discovered that the female black lab, has killed two of the kittens. (they were around 4 weeks old) She actually caught her doing it. She's 10 years old, and a wonderful family dog. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Could the cramped conditions have anything to do with this? Or is this just normal agressive behavior?

Dogs are dogs and most will do that because of their instincts. She should have never trusted her dog with newborn kittens. It may seem cruel, but it's just the dog's instincts. I'm sorry about the kittens.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

She's got WAAAAAYYYY too many animals for a 2 bedroom apartment. I think that coupled with territorial issues is the problem.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Dogs are dogs and most will do that because of their instincts. She should have never trusted her dog with newborn kittens. It may seem cruel, but it's just the dog's instincts. I'm sorry about the kittens.
    To be honest with you, I think it's for the best.

But I was just curious why she would kill kittens.

I never thought of the Cat vs. Dog thing.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    She's got WAAAAAYYYY too many animals for a 2 bedroom apartment. I think that coupled with territorial issues is the problem.
    I thought so too.

She's supposed to be getting a 2 bedroom house out in the country.
    I've offered to take one of the kittens, but her 11 and 12 year old told me NO! And she has another female cat ready to pop any day n ow.

Oh, wow I must have missed how many animals she had. Sounds like that is way too much! I can't even imagine.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by 4theloveofzoe
    To be honest with you, I think it's for the best.

But I was just curious why she would kill kittens.

I never thought of the Cat vs. Dog thing.
    Yeah, it could also be because of the cramped space, too.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I posted a response in behavior as well, but basically....the dog is killing the kittens because she can! She is a dog, dogs do stuff like that. She needs to be kept completely seperated from the remaining kittens at all times. Kittens look, sound and move like prey.

My own lovely, sweet, gentle dogs have killed one of my cats--because they had the opportunity to--Dominique was where she shouldn't have been, I didn't know she was there, the dogs killed her. She was not a pack member or a loved pet to them. She was prey. They couldn't tell she was any different from a bird, squirrel or a mouse. Was it their fault? Nope, it was mine. I failed Dominique. The dogs were not vendicitive, aggressive or mean to her or me. They were simply dogs acting on their natural instincts. (which does not mean I wasn't angry and heartbroken because of their actions, but they were not at fault).

This is not aggression. The dog is no more likely to bite now than she was before she killed a kitten. Prey drive and aggression are completely seperate things.

Your sister's home sounds terribly overcrowded. I don't think this behavior is territorial. However, I think she should expect territorial behavior from the dogs and they will likely focus it on each other. That little dog is in danger, IMO.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I coulden't have said it better, Glacier.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I guess i lucked out all my dogs even the Newf are real gentle with my little baby kitten the cats even allow them to stick there heads in the box the baby is in,Now the puppy!!lol he thinks everybody should be playful so he aint allowed in my daughters room were the baby is being kept.

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    I coulden't have said it better, Glacier.

Your dog is sooooo cute. I just wanna cuddle with it.

A dog is a dog and doing that is the instincts. Labradors were practicly bred to retrieve small animals, so it is just behavioral instincts, I do not think she should have unspayed and unneatered cats around the house because with dogs you never know what will happen... it is not the dogs fault. It is just instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theloveofzoe
    Your dog is sooooo cute. I just wanna cuddle with it.
    Thank you! Molli would love to cuddle with you.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Thanks everyone!

Well I have a two bedroom apartment too, mine pretty small (or decent sized anyway) but I have seen some BIG two bedroom apartments, so I suppose a more accurate depiction of how big the place is is square footage, not just bedrooms alone.

Anyway. Dogs are prey driven. Small animals (kittens included) can and will be seen as prey to some dogs, especially hunting dogs such as Labs. They have prey drive and have been know to hunt, stalk, and even kill small animals. Not on purpose, not because they are "mean", not because they are "aggressive", but just because that is how they were born and bred. She should NEVER have trusted the dog alone with the tiny kittens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    I guess i lucked out all my dogs even the Newf are real gentle with my little baby kitten the cats even allow them to stick there heads in the box the baby is in,Now the puppy!!lol he thinks everybody should be playful so he aint allowed in my daughters room were the baby is being kept.
    HAha the worst my two will do to my kitty is try to herd him around the house

facebook