Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dog attacked my dog today

Unhappy A dog attacked my dog today

Tonight I took my dogs on a walk, on leash of course, down to the local park. My husband went too, we each had one of the dogs. We sat down on the bench and our dogs sniffed around. I noticed a little boy being pulled by a dog on a leash. The boy was trying to tell the dog NO but the dog was clearly in control. This dog sniffed my Winnie first, and everything seemed fine. The boy's dog seemed a bit snippy and I sensed this so I got up to keep a better hold of her.

Then the dog just went after my Lily. Lily started yipping and yelping and crying and I jumped up, going into what I call protect-my-baby-at-all-costs-defense mode. Everything happened so fast. I got in there and tried to grab at the dog, yelling, but they were moving so fast and Lily rolled over on her back and just couldn't get away. My husband grabbed at the dog and tried to kick it off. I know that sounds mean but this dog was clearly hurting my baby and wasn't about to quit, it was getting worse. We were scared what was going to happen. The boy laid there and was just crying his head off. I'm not sure what happened next I think DH got ahold of the dog but by then the boys mother ran down and pulled the dog off and put it up.

I was glad she took the time and responsiblity to come down and talk to us. The first thing I asked about was shots, and luckily the dog had had it's shots. The lady said her son was not allowed to take the dog out when other dogs were around, or out of the fence but he did anyway. I feel for the boy but he needs to learn and like I said, I will not sit and watch my dog get it's butt kicked. Anyway we chatted for a bit, and my dog had some teeth marks but no blood. She was shaking though. But she's OK.

I just wish I could have gone at it better. When I was trying to get at the dogs I just felt so disorganized and helpless. I just felt it took way too long to seperate them. I clearly have no experience in breaking up dog fights.

Im so sorry you had to go through this. It's scary. You don't have expierence because you panic! Don't worry I think you did fairly well. Im glad your fur babe wasn't hurt.

Sorry to hear this. Hope your Lily is Ok. The good thing to come out I suppose was at least the mother seemed responsible, and perhaps the boy learnt a valuable lesson.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

Instinct always takes over, not common sense (with me, anyway!) I know how to break it up (either pulling back legs or using the "chuckit" against their throats) but I did the same when a dog attacked Chloe at the dog park the other day. I instinctively reached in to grab a dog, and got bitten on my hand for my efforts. Thankfully no skin was broken but I had the most painful huge bruise for over a week and it's still sore. Not smart being a musician and having trouble playing at the moment.

Someone grabbed my Chuckit and did the throat thing to break up the fight. Same bloody dog attacked Chloe a few weeks previously, and a few other dogs at the park. Owner did NOTHING, but eventually left.

Good God. I think you handled it very well. You seemed to have remained cool, calm and collected. And I'm so glad your dog is okay. I hope she doesn't freak out when she sees another strange dog now.

Fenway hasn't been attacked by a dog but if he ever was (which to God I hope that NEVER happens) I can just picture the scene. I think I'd be thrown in jail...seriously. I would wail on that dog and then I'd go after the owner. I really hate irresponsible people. I know the boy was too young to realize the consequences but it still makes me so mad.

Again, I'm so glad Lily is okay.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I'm so glad that Lily is all right. It's scary when other, and need I say bigger dogs attack. I would most likely have done the exact same thing. Good thing neither dog got hurt bad.
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

Oh my, what a horrible experience!!
    I hope little Lily is healing well.
    Also, I hope you won't blame yourself.
    You were not at fault in any way.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

I clearly have no experience in breaking up dog fights.
    WHO DOES? It is just kind of a reactionary thing. You do the best that you can and like you said... it all happens so fast! Glad your baby seems to be OK!!!

What a horrible expierence. When I lived in Las Vegas they had nice dog parks then some people started bring their dogs their who were aggressive that ended me and my dogs going to parks again. You did a great job. I would have done just as you did. My motto is nothing is going to hurt my babies without going through me first. (not the smartest thing to do but thats how most people think) Glad your bad was just shaken up and not seriously hurt.
    Rio&Nickysmommy

Unhappy

i feel very sad for this i heard someones dog attacked a cat i dont know who....
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.NEC-D156618C862\My Documents\My Videos\My Pictures\redfire.gif

Glad she's okay. I had a large dog attack one of my pomeranians. It happened so fast I wasn't even able to get ahold of the dog. Had I been able to I doubt there would have been much left. Dutchess had to have 18 staples across her abdomen and side. It took her a while for the shock to die down also. It was a really horrible experience.
    RIP: Misty - Pomeranian
    Pearl - French Bulldog

Dixie - Pug

Lola - Pit/Boxer Mix

Sugar - Cane Corso

Veera,Festus, BigMac - cats
    Zeus, Bubbles, Kruzer, Hatter - guinea pigs

Praise God that all turned out for your baby and you and your husband were unhurt. I've had several rounds with aggressive dogs and it can be both frightening and unnerving. I've had dogs come onto my property, 10 acres, that have turned into a pack. As a single dog they are OK but together they become a vicious pack. I don't know who owns them because just about every house on my road has a dog but they roam free. Mine are confined to my property via "Invisible Fence." so they stay home.
    I had "The Pack" come after my three, one day, so I pulled out a pistol and shot into the ground in front of them to frighten them away. I had no other option, am an excellent shot, but they were 50 yards away and I had to act fast. The one they were coming down on was Pookie, a lover and not a fighter, not a mean bone in her body and I had to protect her. The dogs haven't been back since and I always check outside if they begin to bark to see if a stray dog is on the property.
    I am an animal lover to the highest hilt but will do what I have to do to protect my own. All of my animals are adopted and neutered so I am responsible. I just feel sorry for the dogs in the neighborhood that people have brought in and turned loose.
    Enough said and if I say any more I'll get upset.
    Take care,
    Donna

How scary!! I'm glad Lily is all right!! I had something similar happen with a little boy and a large powerful husky, but it never escalated to actual fighting.

One thing that I've found works when fights break out at the dog park is to dump water on the fighting dogs. Then again, if your park has a water fountain you probably don't bring water with you... Hopefully you'll never need to try it...

Thank you Wolf_Q!

WHen I was working with Parking Enforcement I had to break up a dog fight on the street between a pitbull and a Corgi! Scary stuff!!

I'm not sure what I would do if Riot got into a big scuffle.. the only thing with him is hes a semi-dominante dog where as if a dog attacked, he'd fight back just as hard(poses problems sometimes lol). Riot knows the word "off" and listens fairly well to it, but obviously if I told him off that other dog would keep on at him.
    I'd be doubley freaked out for sure! #1 hes my baby and #2 hes a show dog! lol You can't have a bald Terv in the show ring lol

I know everyone says not to dive into a dog fight b/c you may end up the victim by its defiantely everyones first reaction.

What breed of dog was the other one?? What breeds do you have?

I suggest taking your girl to the same spot soon though so she doesn't develop a fear!

My dog is a lab breed mix and the other dog, I'm not sure.
    I understand about not breaking up fights, but problem is this wasn't really a fight, but a dog attacking mine and my dog doesn't seem to know how to defend herself. We've never been in this situation though. I guess she didn't understand or know what to do. She rolled on her back and started yelping. This dog looked like a kind of mutt too, not a specific breed but your average looking, average sized mutt. I don't know what that dog would have had in it at all, hard for me to tell but nothing distinct.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. My dog may be big but she's just a big soft baby with not a mean streak in her.