Thread: flea control overdose?

flea control overdose?

My mother inlaw gave me some flea medican for my dog and now she is acting strange. She is a 4lb Maltise who is 3 years old. The flea medican said it was for dogs 33lb and below. My mother inlaw said she puts it on her male Maltise (who weighs 11 lbs) and it works great. The next day my dog started acting funny - example- she cries alot for no reason, she does not greet me at the door when I or anyone gets home. Before she would be crazy with excitment to see us come home. She acts scared and won't eat.. I gave her a bath the day she started acting strange thinking it was from the flea medican but she is still acting strange. She does not even beg for food when we are eating which is a big deal with her. I need some advice!!

Take her to the vet. I have never seen a flea medication for 33 lbs and under. It is normally for 10 lbs and under. It may also be something else totally unrelated so a vet trip sounds in order. Is she drinking? It is very easy for an animal this small to become dehydrated. Make sure she is drinking.
    RIP: Misty - Pomeranian
    Pearl - French Bulldog

Dixie - Pug

Lola - Pit/Boxer Mix

Sugar - Cane Corso

Veera,Festus, BigMac - cats
    Zeus, Bubbles, Kruzer, Hatter - guinea pigs

Thank you for the reply, yes she is drinking and will eat alittle but not like before..I will take her to the vet tomorrow. I work the night shift at the hospital and will not be home until 8am. I pull 12 to 16 hr shifts so having time to take her this week has not been an option. I am off tomorrow night so I will be able to have the vet see her.

How LONG Ago was she given the medication?

And what was the medication??

Not so sure I'd be *waiting* to see the Vet ...

sounds like some major behavioral changes going on here.

Good Luck with her.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Quote Originally Posted by preciousbaby
    My mother inlaw gave me some flea medican for my dog and now she is acting strange. She is a 4lb Maltise who is 3 years old. The flea medican said it was for dogs 33lb and below. My mother inlaw said she puts it on her male Maltise (who weighs 11 lbs) and it works great. The next day my dog started acting funny - example- she cries alot for no reason, she does not greet me at the door when I or anyone gets home. Before she would be crazy with excitment to see us come home. She acts scared and won't eat.. I gave her a bath the day she started acting strange thinking it was from the flea medican but she is still acting strange. She does not even beg for food when we are eating which is a big deal with her. I need some advice!!
    If it was a hartz product get her to the vet.

If you needto know any more infor go to
    http://www.hartzvictims.org/
    or
    http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/pets/execsum.asp

Yes we live with cats visit www.aarrff.org

flea control overdose?

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Pearl
    Take her to the vet. I have never seen a flea medication for 33 lbs and under. It is normally for 10 lbs and under. It may also be something else totally unrelated so a vet trip sounds in order. Is she drinking? It is very easy for an animal this small to become dehydrated. Make sure she is drinking.
    So sorry for your baby being sick & Please wait no longer & get this baby to the Vet's office.. I agree with Misty_Pearl about the flea meds.. Good Luck & keep up posted..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Yes, get her to the vet as soon as possible. Overdose on flea medication can be dangerous, it's not uncommon for animals to have fits as the medication is actually a toxin which enters the blood stream. I really hope that your little dog is OK! Sending good thoughts to help her.

Zimbabwe 07/13