Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Reptile Pet

First Reptile Pet

Hi everyone,
    People in my family have allergies so I am allowed to get some sort of reptile/amphibian.
    I have my hermit crabs( which are doing fine)
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Bearded Dragons or a Leopard Geck or Chameleon or if anyone could reccomend some other pets, I have read different websites and got info, but some info is different from the other can anyone tell me which of them pets can be good for beginner and something thats OK with being handled?
    Thanks So Much!

I wouldn't recomend a Chameleon as they are VERY hard keepers and shouldn't be handled alot.

Bearded Dragons are cute, my friend had one and I loved him to pieces!

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

chameleons are very hard to keep but snakes are probably the easist to keep. but if u want a lizad lepord geckos and bearded dragons ae good its just beardies need veggies also and lepord geckos just need small insects
    X
    [IMG][/IMG]
    viperess
    [IMG][/IMG]

Lepord Geckos and Beardies are excellent but all depend on how much money you want to spend.
    Beardies need a BIG tank but Lepords need crickets all the time and you always have to go out and get them wich cost mmoney for gas. As for a Beardie since they eat veggies then you dont have to run back and forht buying crikeckets al the time because they dont eat as many crickets as the Leopards. I would think Beardie.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Thanks Everyone, Maybe in a few years or when I am older I'll consider a cameleon, so I will a more experienced. I can provide the crickets and the veggies (hermits crabs need them too ) We have a petstore very nearby that supplies the crickets About how big tanks (gallon) do these Reptiles need? If I purchased any of these animals would they need a drip system? (just curious,I have been going through all these different things for reptiles through different petstores ), About the snakes, I would absuloutly love to get one but , people in my family are scared of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Horse Lover
    About the snakes, I would absuloutly love to get one but , people in my family are scared of them!
    To know them is to love them. If you do get a snake I highly recommend a corn snake as a first snake. They don't get too big and as far as snakes go they are about the easiest.

As others have stated chameleons aren't easy and should not be a starter reptile. I absolutely adore them and someday hope to have one.

I've never had a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon either.

I would like to say that iguanas are generally very popular because when you see them in the pet store they are small, cute, and extremely cheap. But I highly advise you to NOT get one. They grow to be very large lizards and they need a WHOLE LOT of space. They are also very very expensive to maintain. Sadly the majority of iguanas either die young because of improper care or they end up in an iguana rescue.

Good luck finding your pet.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Beardies need at least a 40 gallon tank, and Leopard geckos can live happily in a ten gallon (but really, a 20 Long isn't much more enxpensive and it gives them sooo much more space!)

Leos are MUCH cheaper to set up than beardies, they also live a lot longer, but they're both wonderful pets. My beardie boy is on my lap right now.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix
    To know them is to love them. If you do get a snake I highly recommend a corn snake as a first snake. They don't get too big and as far as snakes go they are about the easiest.

As others have stated chameleons aren't easy and should not be a starter reptile. I absolutely adore them and someday hope to have one.

I've never had a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon either.

I would like to say that iguanas are generally very popular because when you see them in the pet store they are small, cute, and extremely cheap. But I highly advise you to NOT get one. They grow to be very large lizards and they need a WHOLE LOT of space. They are also very very expensive to maintain. Sadly the majority of iguanas either die young because of improper care or they end up in an iguana rescue.

Good luck finding your pet.
    Yes, at one point in my life I was reading a book and I happened to find Iquanas, then I did my research, I figured they are too big for me right now! But they do look wonderful! If we got a snake, how big of a tank? I will do some reseach right now!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    Beardies need at least a 40 gallon tank, and Leopard geckos can live happily in a ten gallon (but really, a 20 Long isn't much more enxpensive and it gives them sooo much more space!)

Leos are MUCH cheaper to set up than beardies, they also live a lot longer, but they're both wonderful pets. My beardie boy is on my lap right now.
    Oh Ok! I just came back from petsmart and they had a whole big kit for bearded dragons! It came with everything(pretty much) but I guess not such a good idea cause the tank was 20 gallons , I saw a full grown leopard gecko there for 130$ but I wasnt sure how they act when they are healthy I mean this one was in a corner just sitting there, hardly any movement, So I dont know if this is regulaur? And they diddnt have Beardies!!! I have checked 2 giant petstores and no beardies! I was told they were sold out!

If you start with a youngin the 20 gallon tank should last a few months, during which time you could save up for a bigger tank. Young ones need to eat pretty frequently though, so be prepared to have lots of crickets handy!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by Horse Lover
    If we got a snake, how big of a tank? I will do some reseach right now!
    Thanks
    That depends on the species too. Rosy Boas are my personal favorite beginner's snake, and they're happy in a ten gallon. Corn snakes should have around 40 gallons IMO, but my aunt's lives in a 20 and he seems happy and healthy. (he gets lots of "out and about" time)

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Well, I did a bit of research on snakes and I came upon this really cool website with nice cages/ aquariums! its http://www.customcages.com/ but they are pertty expensive for me! Any how how big are the Boas you mentioned? I gotta do reseach soon!
    Thanks!
    And do you think its cheaper to buy a aquarium or make one? Just wondering , I highly doubt I will make one but just asking!

You have already gotten a lot of good advice, but I kust wanted to tell you a little bit about the Schneider's skink. If you can find them, they make good pets. I have had one for 11 years now. They are very easy keepers, love hot sand tanks, and mine lived in a 10 gal, then a propper 20 gal long. They are nice to look at but don't enjoy too much handling. They eat live crickets and a small bit of fruits/veggies.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    You have already gotten a lot of good advice, but I kust wanted to tell you a little bit about the Schneider's skink. If you can find them, they make good pets. I have had one for 11 years now. They are very easy keepers, love hot sand tanks, and mine lived in a 10 gal, then a propper 20 gal long. They are nice to look at but don't enjoy too much handling. They eat live crickets and a small bit of fruits/veggies.
    Hmmm, I will do some research on them , thye sound pretty nice But, I actually have never seen them in petstores... where did you purchase yours?

A Uromastyx. They need a big, dry cage, no messing with any humidity. Vegetables only- no live food needed. They get fat and about a foot long plus tail. My sister has two, they are easy keepers. I am usually afraid to hold the little lizards because they go so quick and seem so fragile. With the uros they just sit in our hands, they aren't quick enough to get away anyway. She's got two bearded dragons that are pretty tame but I still worry about them getting out of my hands and they have skinny tails and legs that I'm afraid to pick them up. They don't climb either.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton