Thread: Horse;overeating

Horse;overeating

Does anyone happen to know what it is called when a horse, escapes, over eats grains, corn, hay, and sweet feed? Colic?
    Websites would be helpful as well if anyone knows any good ones.

Thanks in advance.

Keet

Are you saying that the horse is overweight, or has just been eating a lot in one go?

I don't think over-eating has a name as such. Colic is a term used to describe any kind of abdominal pain in horses. Horses who eat too much before or after exercise, or eat too much in general, are pretty prone to it. There's different levels of severity in colic, but you should always call a vet when a horse shows the signs of colic in case it is something major, like a possible twisting of the gut. The signs of colic are the horse pacing, looking at or even kicking its sides and belly, lying down and getting up more than usual, sweating and frantic rolling on the ground. You should never let your horse roll when you suspect colic as this could worsen the situation, that could mean fitting the horse with a special anti-rolling rug or leading him around to take his mind off rolling. Unfortunately, colic often comes back, and it can be treated simply but can be a pain for you to keep calling the vet, not to mention the bills and discomfort for the horse.

The best way to avoid colic is to give your horse a balanced feed and enough exercise. If your horse was getting this before, then I think that his little escape shouldn't be a problem Sorry, I don't know if this was exactly what you were asking and I don't have a website which comes to mind but I hope I've helped anyway

Zimbabwe 07/13

depending on the severness, if your horse has bloated, if the symptoms are too severe, call a vet. If the horse is laying down on its side, get the horse haltered & up on its feed. Lead it around, get it to pass something. If it wont, the horse may need an anemema (sp?). My mare bloated once last year, I had not timed her on how long she had been on the field & she over-ate & bloated. I had to walk her out quite a long while before she would urinate or take-a-dump. I usually only keep them on the field for about 30 hour a day, but sometimes I get carried away with other things

If your horse got out and got into the feed then he could develop laminitis, a potentially severe degenerative problem in the feet in which the laminae (the tissues and blood suppl to the hoof) that hold the hoof on dies and separates and they can even shed their entire hooves and the navicular bone can rotate and fall thorugh the bottom of the hoof. It can also cause colic but you need to have a vet see the horse immediatley and check his feet for heat and soreness. You need a vet to see the horse because if he does develop laminitis then walking him to help with the colic could cause permanent foot damage that can't be fixed. He can develop both colic and laminitis at the same time.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

There are so many different views on colic some say that the gut twists when the horses rolls, others say that the gut has already twisted and allow the horse to lay down.The symtoms of colic are that of the same as grass sickness so if you are ever in doubt call a vet straight away, however the best solution of colic i,ve found is to try to pin point what exactly it is causing the problem which stands to reason.But failing that i came across this website that is a pot of gold to me she is a equine nutritionist and you post your queston on the forum and she has a quick reply,it as helped me no end the lady's name is Dr Getty,www.gettyequinenutrition.com