Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need drinking advice (Adult Advice)

Need drinking advice (Adult Advice)

I've decided to learn how to drink. Not hardcore or anything like that, just a drink or 2. I just don't know where to start & how much is enough.

Tom thinks it would be best to drink beer (Keiths). So I'm going to pick up a 6 pack tonight. But how will I know if even 1 beer is too much? I'm not a very big person (5'2) & I've never had a drink in my life (I'll be 24 in Aug)..
    My folks don't drink so I don't know how I'll react to it... Tom thinks it'll be best if I went to a bar for a drink (he said drinking alone starts a bad habbit & I agree). BUT I'm so darn shy I don't think I can go alone (I hope I can make it into the beer store). I don't know anyone in this city that I could go with. I know Tom wont go with me, I know I can drink with him at his place (I just want to learn how to drink before I go to his place as I'd rather not accidently get drunk off my rocker & be near him)...

another question.. How fast or slow are you suppose to drink? Slow like a tea (ok I'm not good at drinking tea slow, but I know the proper speed) or fast as in a can of pop (lasts maybe 10 mins)?

I'm a late bloomer in just about everything. Didn't even try to start to drive until I was 20yrs old (didn't feel like I was ready) & here I am almost 24 learning something else new (smoking & drugs will forever be off my list!)...

Thanks guys (feels stupid for even posting this)

Best not to go alone to a bar, as you don't know how alcohol will affect you. Drinking isn't a necessary socialability, so dunno why you'd like to start, but even if you are going to drink at home, invite a friend over, as if you get drunk, you won't be a good judge of your actions anyway.

If you can find a friend to go out with you, you can always make sure you have a snack before you go, so the alcohol won't hit you on an empty stomach, and alternate glasses of alcoholic stuff with nonalcoholic - bars always have gingerale, and I'd often order a ginger ale/orange juice combination if I didn't feel like getting harrassed about "not drinking," people just assume it's a screwdriver.

Ok, just asking because I remember you saying you have anxiety -- are you taking any meds for it? Generally, anxiety drugs and alcohol should NOT be mixed.

Stop and think WHY you want to start drinking. It seems to me that you are in a low point. Hubby left you, your other support wants to go back to his hometown. You're alone and unsure of the future. All BAD reasons to start drinking. You could spiral into binge drinking and a drinking problem very quickly once you see that it tends to take the sting out of emotional pain. I can see how it might seem attreactive right now -- nobody wants to revel in the heartache you must be feeling. ((hugs)) to you, and know we are here to help you heal, alcohol is not.

I urge you to refrain from learning to drink at this time. Wait til your life is 100% back on an even keel before you try to drink.

Why even start, drinking is a waste of time IMO, you can live a happy life without it,if you must i would just drink a little , but then how many people can actually drink a little and not stop, believe me you are missing nothing, hangovers are not much fun, personally i now hate the taste of alcohol,so I am now a teetotaller,(and no i did not have a drinking problem) but if i had my life over again, i would never ever drink, one just does not need to.,but its your life and up to you,but remember you have no idea how alcohol will affect you, you could be one of the unlucky ones who cannot control your drinking, or then again you may have no problem, but why even take the risk.

My advice is DONT START. I don't mean to sound unkind, but I think to start now at 24 is plain foolish, if you have had no desire to drink before why now, ask yourself that? please.

I agree with the others, you seem to be turning to drinking at a time that is not a good one for you, please try and find another healthy alternative, you asked for advice, but reading your further post you dont really seem to be listening, however it is your life, so if you must, you must i guess, but i hope you change your mind on pursing a drinking habit.

I have been unlucky enough in my life to be in two relationships with alcoholic men, (yep i sure can pick em)so my experience is anything but good, and maybe i am being paranoid about it, but i am concerned for your welfare, please take care,you are only young with all your future ahead of you, I hope starting to drink does not become a huge mistake for you. HUGS.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

This is just my opinion but considering all you have gone through lately I wouldn't think this would be a good time to start drinking. If you are curious just measure a half cup of beer and throw the rest out, alcohol has a way of creeping up on you.

You have been really strong through all this all on your own.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    If you can find a friend to go out with you, you can always make sure you have a snack before you go, so the alcohol won't hit you on an empty stomach, and alternate glasses of alcoholic stuff with nonalcoholic - bars always have gingerale, and I'd often order a ginger ale/orange juice combination if I didn't feel like getting harrassed about "not drinking," people just assume it's a screwdriver.
    Karen is there something besides Orange Juice? I cannot drink Orange or grape juices as I'm allergic (I can eat an orange & grapes, just not the juice, esp. the fake stuff).

I think I'll try 1 beer home alone tonight to see how I react to it. There are others in the house, so if I feel sick or have an allergic reaction, helps not too far away (& they have a car).

Best for starters - do not drink more than 1 every hour. If you do only drink 1 an hour, you should be fine. Just don't over do it. If you start feeling a little lightheaded - stop.

Also, I HATE beer! It tastes SO gross. I prefer the "chick" drinks Like Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Silver, my FAVORITE though is Smirnoff Twist Triple Black. But be careful with those, though. It doesn't taste like beer so you can easily drink a lot in one sitting, then stand up, and be like "WHOA".

I totally just sounded like a teenager with that last statement, but that's honestly how it goes.

If you think you're overdoing it, just stop.

Also -- beer before liquor gets you sicker. Liquor before beer and you're in the clear.

facebook

I'm just trying to understand WHY you want to start drinking, what's the point?

As others have said, with all of your recent down time, from whay you've told us this especially isn't the time to start drinking.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I havent had a drink in a long time and i cant say that i miss it at all!!!! Not saying that i drank alot, mostly just two or three with friends or family. But i stopped maybe over a year gao and i have felt so good about it! I wouldnt start. there is realy no real reason to. JMO!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

King2005 i have added quite a bit to my original post, i hope you take the time to go back and read it please.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

i really second Kay, i havent drank a zip in my life (27 now) and dont want to, i never felt like a stranger if i was with people who drank, i always asked for a LEMONADE LOL..........even today i still ask lemonade.........

i dont want you to get me wrong but if you havent drank why start now?, dont let anyone push you to do so or do it because you feel bad if you dont......if you really want to do it just try to go slow and be very sure that you really want to..........
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    I'm just trying to understand WHY you want to start drinking, what's the point?

As others have said, with all of your recent down time, from whay you've told us this especially isn't the time to start drinking.

Very good question. You might not even like the taste of beer. Why do
    you want to anesthetize yourself to be in a bar? You can meet good guys
    just joining a club certered around hobbies or something.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I have this haunting question in my mind.
    WHY??????

Why on earth would you want to learn how to drink? :curious: It's NOT a skill nor is it a sport. It's a serious disease. Ask ANY person with a predisposition to alcoholism. It's NOT fun.

If you've never tasted liquor (I don't care what kind it is) then you won't know what you're missing. By that I mean, hangovers, drunken blackouts, memory loss, embarassing situations (I've had MANY), vomiting all over yourself while in a drunken blackout, not to mention your liver looking like a dried up prune. NOT BEING IN CONTROL!! Those are the one's I've been through. [B]Can anyone else here share?[/BOLD]

Sorry to be so graphic, but there no way to sugar coat alcohol.
    Okay, I've given my usual AA lecture for today.

How about going into "Thursdays" and having a round or two with me. It's alot safer AND you wake up the next day feeling great, with your sobriety still intact!

If you STILL want to try drinking, *sigh*, (Just worry about ya! try out a frozen drink. My daughter's favorite is a Madouri Sour.

Good luck and please...DRINK RESPONSIBLY

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Aw come on guys, drinking on occasion, not to get drunk, is not a bad thing like you're making it out to be. There is responsible and irresponsible drinking. In this specific case, if you are on medication for other things etc it may not be a good idea, in fact it is NOT a good idea to EVER mix medication and alcohol.

But in general drinking is not evil or a bad thing. Drinking responsibly on occasion is one thing; going out every night to bars to get wasted is another.

facebook

I drink sometimes. Not nearly as much as I did in college. I drink and get drunk (not stupid falling down drunk, but legally drunk.) I see nothing wrong with it in moderation and the fact that you are asking questions means you want to do it responsibly. I’m sure you know not to drive or let someone drive you that’s been drinking.

You said your parents don't drink so alcoholism doesn't run in your family (or didn't have the chance to show up) which is good but doesn't mean you don't have it. Don't drink to help with feelings or to forget about something that's bothering you.

For your first time, drink slow and much less than you think you should. Don't drink shots; they will sneak up on you too fast. Sip a beer, or a mixed drink. I like Vodka and cranberry (not sure if you are allergic to cranberry juice too). Otherwise Mike's hard lemonade is good, but more than 2 burn my stomach because of the acid.

Alcoholism does run in my family, but I certainly don't have a problem. I used to drink a lot in college because it was social and it was fun and I wasn't addicted. Now I drink much less and most of the time when the opportunity arises I don't even indulge.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)