Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your pet peeves

Your pet peeves

- The term oriental : Nothing cracks me up more than when people refer to a person of unidentifiable Asian descent as "Oriental" Of course, it's not proper or polite or politically correct to waltz up to somebody and ask what their race is, but...people, I'm not "oriental", LOL. I'm Asian, yes. Not "oriental". I'm not a rug LMAO!

Okay, now you go! Post *one* pet peeve, please. Otherwise, we'd clog up this whole thread with petty, little annoyances, hehe.

Check this out.....http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?t=91633
    It will give you everyone's Pet Peeves.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

people who add to the pet overpopulation and don't give a crap that there are millions of animals needing homes in shelters. usually back yard breeders..
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Whoops, haha, I never do searches. Thanks slick!

Actually, oriental is a term for the east, which includes Asia, therefor it would be grammatically correct.

One of my pet peeves is when people can't pronounce my name right!!! It is a simple four lettered name, and yet people still call me Sara or Sarah. It really gets on my nerves (no offence to people called Sara or Sarah of course, but I just wanted to be called by my name)! Last year a German lady came to help out in my German lesson and couldn't stop calling me 'tsahaira', even though I told her multiple times how to say Zara. Ggggrrrrrr!!! What makes it worse is that I have a very unusual surname, so if I ever tell someone my name, I have to tell them about 10 times, because they think they must have heard it wrong and that no-one could possibly have that surname! They usually think I've said Sarah Evans, to give you a clue of my last name, as I don't feel that comfortable posting my real surname publically

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z
    One of my pet peeves is when people can't pronounce my name right!!! It is a simple four lettered name, and yet people still call me Sara or Sarah. It really gets on my nerves (no offence to people called Sara or Sarah of course, but I just wanted to be called by my name)!
    I am right next to you, sister! My name is Zana - it rhymes with Dana. I've been called all sorts of things: Dana, Lana, Zona, even Zora.

I lived in the same small town my entire life until I went to college. All my teachers knew me and knew to pronounce my name "Zana." Then, one of my cousins married a girl named "Jana" (rhymes with Anna) from a different part of the state. Eeep! The name confusion! People wanted to rhyme our names and ended up not getting either one of them right!
    Last edited by lady_zana; 04-24-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    Actually, oriental is a term for the east, which includes Asia, therefor it would be grammatically correct.
    But I don't suppose it would be politically correct. It's hard to know exactly what the "correct" term is for any race today - so many people want to be called something different. But I think "Asian" is the most common, most correct term to use today.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    - The term oriental : Nothing cracks me up more than when people refer to a person of unidentifiable Asian descent as "Oriental" Of course, it's not proper or polite or politically correct to waltz up to somebody and ask what their race is, but...people, I'm not "oriental", LOL. I'm Asian, yes. Not "oriental". I'm not a rug LMAO!

Okay, now you go! Post *one* pet peeve, please. Otherwise, we'd clog up this whole thread with petty, little annoyances, hehe.
    Ha ha, you make me think what my son is complaining about . He is a Korean, but lots of people call him "that Chinese"... Makes him furious!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
    Ha ha, you make me think what my son is complaining about . He is a Korean, but lots of people call him "that Chinese"... Makes him furious!!
    Since I work in Samsung its sooo easy to get the race right, as they are ALL Korean, White, African or Indian.

My pet peeve is when people call me a Newfie or Korean, I'm neither!! People have to be retarded to think that I'm Korean!! (no offence, its just I look NOTHING like a Korean!). I'm Irish & Matee (sp? its when a Frenchman & native american indian have a baby, that baby is Matee). I've been told I have the Indian cheaks & my skin is very Irish (VERY pail skin, dad is a red head & has pail skin like me).

Some people need their heads checked!

No one can seem to pronounce my name either, it is Eva, Like the name Eve-ah. I get called eva, ava, and sometimes even eve, evie, ev-ie, lots of strange things. It's not even that uncommon!
    My real pet peave though is when people stick extra apostraphies in places they DON'T belong, like, "In the 1970's..." or, "My sister knows her ABC's..."

Niño & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    No one can seem to pronounce my name either, it is Eva, Like the name Eve-ah. I get called eva, ava, and sometimes even eve, evie, ev-ie, lots of strange things. It's not even that uncommon!
    My real pet peave though is when people stick extra apostraphies in places they DON'T belong, like, "In the 1970's..." or, "My sister knows her ABC's..."
    BOP! BOP! This is me, bopping myself on the head for being dumb. I was about to agree with you when scrolling down, I noticed I placed an apostraphie in the wrong spot in my previous post! I put "cousin's" rather than "cousins" like I should have. I went back and corrected it now. BOP! BOP!

I do agree with you though. I really hate it out in public like on signs and other things. I just wonder why people don't spell check before posting signs and ads where people can see them.

(sp? its when a Frenchman & native american indian have a baby, that baby is Matee
    King2005 it's spelled Meti

My biggest pet peeve is when people mix up your, you're and there, their and they're.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

When people say my name wrong/spell it wrong. It's Bri-Anna just spelled Briana. I get called Brieyonna, and grr I hate it. I can understand the spelling, but if its right in front of people and they STILL spell it wrong...
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography