Thread: Girl is killed after being attacked by a bear.

Girl is killed after being attacked by a bear.

This is pretty old. Around the time of Easter but I don't know if any of you have heard about this. That poor girl and her family. This story had me in tears. The girl was so young.

(CNN) -- Authorities captured a bear Sunday that they suspect was responsible for the mauling of an Ohio family in the rugged mountains of eastern Tennessee, a U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman said.

The rare attack by a black bear occurred Thursday during the family's outing to a waterfall in a remote part of the Cherokee National Forest. The bear killed a 6-year-old girl and seriously injured her mother and brother.

The bear killed Elora Petrasek, 6, of Clyde, Ohio. Her mother, Susan Cenkus, 45, was in critical condition at a Chattanooga hospital. Her brother, Luke Cenkus, 2, was hospitalized in stable condition. (Watch ranger perplexed by attack -- 2:44)

A three-day effort to trap the animal ended at noon Sunday when rangers found a bear in one of eight traps they had set across the recreation area, U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Sharon Moore said.

Rangers were not certain the captured bear is the one that attacked the family, but its size led officials to believe they caught the bear they had been seeking, she said.

It was euthanized and sent to the University of Tennessee's College of Veterinary Medicine in Knoxville for examination, Moore said.

Officials want to know if an illness might explain its behavior.

Black bears usually avoid humans. The girl's death is only the second confirmed fatal black bear attack in Tennessee, the U.S. Forest Service said.

Forest Ranger Dan Hicks said he was perplexed by the attack "because it goes against what I've been telling the public for a long time."

The attack took place at Benton Falls near the Chilhowee Recreation Area, about 22 miles east of Cleveland, Tennessee.

The bear scaled a fence and picked Luke Cenkus up by the head, holding the toddler aloft, Hicks said. Susan Cenkus tried to save her son by distracting the bear, which resulted in her being mauled, too.

When paramedics arrived about 20 minutes later, they found Elora Petrasek a short distance away, the bear hovering over her mauled body. She may have been trying to run away when she was caught, Hicks said.

Doctors at Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga say Susan Cenkus has soft tissue injuries to her upper and lower extremities that will require additional surgeries.

Luke Cenkus, whose skull was punctured, was in stable condition after surgery, doctors said.

In a written statement asking for privacy, the family called Thursday's events "understandably very difficult for the entire family to cope with."

The Forest Service temporarily closed the Chilhowee Recreation Area and the Parksville Campground, as well as several roads and trails in the vicinity of the attack.

tragedy

I feel for the family. What a horrid lose and I hope the mom and son recover quickly.
    However I've always felt that if I were killed by a wild animal, I would never want it killed. It's nature and accidents happen. Not the animals fault and unlikely that killing the animal would prevent further attacks. Bears, Mountain Lions etc.
    Kitten

YES! You wouldnt know how close that is to me! It's about a 2 hour drive from here..and I felt really sorry for the girl and her family, and stunned that a bear would actually do that.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I heard on the news that local park rangers think the bear was hungry from hibernation and not acting the way it normally would.

Regardless, I have to say if an animal attacks a human, especially if they kill someone, they should be put down. What is to keep them from doing it again and killing someone else? I know animal attacks are extremely rare, but I would be extremely worried if such an animal was allowed to live after such an event.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

So sad!

That poor poor girl how frightened she must of felt, i do feel a little for the bear but still that poor girl didn't deserve that.

No one deserves that. Neither did the animal. JMHO.
    Kitten

The bear was likely to have an illness or something. Bears IMO and expirence just don't attack people for no reason. Bri, I heard about it and I automatically thought of you. Not that it was you, just that maybe the bear would be in your area and I was pretty worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese_Love
    The bear was likely to have an illness or something. Bears IMO and expirence just don't attack people for no reason. Bri, I heard about it and I automatically thought of you. Not that it was you, just that maybe the bear would be in your area and I was pretty worried.
    Nah, it's 2ish hours away. It was in Great Smoky Mountains National Park I believe.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

What a horrible thing for the girl & her family. While reading up
    about bear attacks on humans, I fould this group.....

http://www.beardogs.org/ There is actually a breed of dog trained in

bear sheparding that seems like a wonderful alternative to control the
    interaction between human & animal. Would be great for people in and
    around state parks & preserves.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    What a horrible thing for the girl & her family. While reading up
    about bear attacks on humans, I fould this group.....

http://www.beardogs.org/ There is actually a breed of dog trained in

bear sheparding that seems like a wonderful alternative to control the
    interaction between human & animal. Would be great for people in and
    around state parks & preserves.
    I've heard of that. I think it's a wonderful organization. What great people they are to do that! (and dogs)