Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gotta poodle question!.!.!.

I gotta poodle question!.!.!.

I was watching the dog show and ............. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BEAUTIFUL TOY POODLE!!!!
    My question is......... every poodle I have seen in a dog show is shaved the same way...... with those two little puff balls on their hind quarters..... do the poodles have to be shaved like that or could they show shaved any way?
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Re: I gotta poodle question!.!.!.

Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
    I was watching the dog show and ............. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BEAUTIFUL TOY POODLE!!!!
    My question is......... every poodle I have seen in a dog show is shaved the same way...... with those two little puff balls on their hind quarters..... do the poodles have to be shaved like that or could they show shaved any way?
    Ohhhhhhhh....Paaaaaaaammmm!!! LOL LOL

Actually, I have wondered this myself. LOL LOL

Oh Man! I just got the June Issue of Dog Fancy and the poodle was featured. It talked about the different cuts and I don't remember exactly what it said. I think there are four different clips, a puppy clip, sporting, English and Continental. I think English Saddle and Continental are the only clips approved for shows, unless the dog is less then 1 year and then the puppy clip is acceptable. Wait..I'm going to see if I can find info at akc page...

Here is what I found:

Coat

(a) Quality--(1) Curly: of naturally harsh texture, dense throughout. (2) Corded: hanging in tight even cords of varying length; longer on mane or body coat, head, and ears; shorter on puffs, bracelets, and pompons.

(b) Clip-- A Poodle under 12 months may be shown in the "Puppy" clip. In all regular classes, Poodles 12 months or over must be shown in the "English Saddle" or "Continental" clip. In the Stud Dog and Brood Bitch classes and in a non-competitive Parade of Champions, Poodles may be shown in the "Sporting" clip. A Poodle shown in any other type of clip shall be disqualified.

(1) "Puppy"--A Poodle under a year old may be shown in the "Puppy" clip with the coat long. The face, throat, feet and base of the tail are shaved. The entire shaven foot is visible. There is a pompon on the end of the tail. In order to give a neat appearance and a smooth unbroken line, shaping of the coat is permissible.

(2) "English Saddle"--In the "English Saddle" clip the face, throat, feet, forelegs and base of the tail are shaved, leaving puffs on the forelegs and a pompon on the end of the tail. The hindquarters are covered with a short blanket of hair except for a curved shaved area on each flank and two shaved bands on each hindleg. The entire shaven foot and a portion of the shaven leg above the puff are visible. The rest of the body is left in full coat but may be shaped in order to insure overall balance.

(3) "Continental"--In the "Continental" clip, the face, throat, feet, and base of the tail are shaved. The hindquarters are shaved with pompons (optional) on the hips. The legs are shaved, leaving bracelets on the hindlegs and puffs on the forelegs. There is a pompon on the end of the tail. The entire shaven foot and a portion of the shaven foreleg above the puff are visible. The rest of the body is left in full coat but may be shaped in order to insure overall balance.

(4) "Sporting"--In the "Sporting" clip, a Poodle shall be shown with face, feet, throat, and base of tail shaved, leaving a scissored cap on the top of the head and a pompon on the end of the tail. The rest of the body, and legs are clipped or scissored to follow the outline of the dog leaving a short blanket of coat no longer than one inch in length. The hair on the legs may be slightly longer than that on the body.
    In all clips the hair of the topknot may be left free or held in place by elastic bands. The hair is only of sufficient length to present a smooth outline. "Topknot" refers only to hair on the skull, from stop to occiput. This is the only area where elastic bands may be used.

I have my Reecie in a teddy bear cut (similar to puppy cut) and he's the cutest thing ever I wish they would allow any cut in the show ring.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Weren't Poodles like some type of water dog and the way they were shaved was to keep their internal organs warm and protected..

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Yes, the little poofs of hair keep the joints warm in the cold water.

But I still think they should allow any cuts in dog shows
    Alyson

Great info Cincy's Mom! I was told about that particular issue of Dog Fancy (don't have a subscription) and tried to buy it this past weekend but it wasn't in my local PetsMart yet. I have never owned a show dog nor had my poodles in anything but the puppy clip. I'm sure they have their reasons for requiring that particular cut for shows, but I am not a fan of it at all. I think people are so turned off to those cuts that many won't even consider having a poodle as a pet because of it. Just like with any dog, it's what's under the fur that is important, and to me at least, to know a poodle is to love a poodle.

Thanks everyone for the info..........(esp Cincy's mom)

originally posted by Pam
    I think people are so turned off to those cuts
    I am turned off by those cuts...... I think poodles are very elegant EXCEPT FOR THOSE TWO POOFS ON THIER HIND QUARTERS.....
    I don't know why, it is just a turn off! NOT TO THE DOG just the look of the cut. I too think that they should allow different cuts to show. Aly do you have any pics of Reecie in the teddie bear cut?!?!? I would love to see!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!

Tinky

Here's Bella modeling the puppy cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AWWWWWWWW
    What a pretty pic of her in the snow!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing. Is that the only cut you ever give her? I have to admit if I had a poodle it would probably hate me............ CAUSE I WOULD BUY SOME SHAVERS AND HAVE SOME FUN!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!

Tinky

Ohh Sara, you asked for it!!

Here are some assorted pictures that were taken after different groomings:

Here he is shaggy and ready for a groom (which I think is his cutest):

Alyson

Yes that's the only cut she has ever had and she is my 5th poodle and this is the cut they all wore. This picture is a little closer up.

And another.....you asked for it! Now I'll stop!

Aly,,,,
    I really really love that 3rd pic !!!!! He looks like a SWEET LITTLE GENTELMAN, AND SO SOFT!!!!

Pam,,,,,
    LOL WHY ARE YOU LETTING BELLA EAT THAT TREE?!?!

What sweet puppies!!!! Thanks for sharing all of your pics..... I JUST LOOOOOOOVE SEEIN EM!!!!!!!

One more Q.... I have never met a poodle........ what does their fur feel like? Is it soft or brittle????
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!

Tinky

Very soft!!!!!!
    Alyson