Thread: What are safe fruits and vegetables I can give to my Gerbilly gerbil gerbil-face?

What are safe fruits and vegetables I can give to my Gerbilly gerbil gerbil-face?

He's awesome and I think he needs a snack.

No. Gerbils need dry foods. I don't recommend feeding fruits or veggies because of the risk of wet tail and an overall upset tummy. Some people say small amounts are safe, but I've never fed fresh fruits or veggies. Try some dryed fruits if anything or some sugar free cereals. Most pet stores sell small mammal specific treats.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

My vet said I can feed carrots to my hamster, but I don't feed him too many, just so that he eats other foods as well, and hamsters can als get wet tail. The vet reccomended giving it lettuce sometimes too, I've never had a guinea pig but I suppose they are almost like hamsters. I also have a bunny and a puppy but puppies arn't realted at all ^-^ . Bunnies can eat veggies though so that's not good advice. But really I don't know much about guinea pigs other than where/what they can relate to hamsters.
    I've been frosted

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    No. Gerbils need dry foods. I don't recommend feeding fruits or veggies because of the risk of wet tail and an overall upset tummy. Some people say small amounts are safe, but I've never fed fresh fruits or veggies. Try some dryed fruits if anything or some sugar free cereals. Most pet stores sell small mammal specific treats.
    Ah, okay. I was just asking because I read through a Gerbil book at PetCo and it said small amounts are safe but he shall get none! I'll see what kind of fruity things that they have for gerbil-heads. I don't want little Mortos to get sick or anything. Thank you much!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ginny~
    My vet said I can feed carrots to my hamster, but I don't feed him too many, just so that he eats other foods as well, and hamsters can als get wet tail. The vet reccomended giving it lettuce sometimes too, I've never had a guinea pig but I suppose they are almost like hamsters. I also have a bunny and a puppy but puppies arn't realted at all ^-^ . Bunnies can eat veggies though so that's not good advice. But really I don't know much about guinea pigs other than where/what they can relate to hamsters.
    I was talking to my husband, while we were in Petco, about how I've had quite a few small pets. I'll list them: Lemmiwinks (mouse), Stuart (rat), Baron (bunny, although I have no idea what breed. I have one pic of him, though, if you might be able to identify), Hamster (Destiny, Harvey, Shelly, +), Cinnamon (Guinea Pig), Honey (ferret), Mimi (ferret). They all passed away except for Honey who is still living with my mom. Now that I think about it, Destiny was the most long lived of them all (except the ferrets). I mean, she lived for four + years.