Thread: I need info on thyroyd med for dogs

I need info on thyroyd med for dogs

I would like to know what type of thyroyd med is out there in the vet's world. My dog became hypothyroyd when we were out of the country, and he was prescribed the same med that humans take and he did fine with it. Now that I've moved to Florida, my new vet is giving me a hard time with the human prescription.

If there's someone out there that has his/her pet on this type of med, please give me some input. Thanks.

Woops, I answered you in the other thread before I saw this one, but I'll repeat my answer here:

My golden was recently diagnosed with thyroid autoimmune disease, meaning his body creates a chemical that destroys his own thyroid level. The treatment is the same as for just regular low thyroid and he is on levothyroxine (which is the generic for the following brands: Eltroxin (Can), Levo-T, Levotabs, Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid, Thyrox, Unithroid). Dogs are treated with the same medications for thyroid that humans are (but dosing always depending on the size of the dog and the level of thyroid).

I'm not sure what you mean by human prescription? Thyroid problems in dogs are treated with the same medications as in humans, but there are different brands and names of the medications. Levothyroxine is the most common (it's a generic and is less expensive than name brand, but has the same active ingredient). I get my prescription directly through my vet and it comes in a bottle that says for animal use only, but it is still the same medication that people with thyroid problems take. Also now there are chewable tablets available for dogs but it still contains the same medicine.

I hope this information helps some .
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge