Thread: My rat ate wax will she be okay?

My rat ate wax will she be okay?

I had just taken my rat out for a little stroll around the house (she's kinda cramped in her temporary cage) when she found something to eat, i thought it was just a nut at first but to be on the safe side i took it from her and looked at it,i couldn't tell what it was so i smelt it, i found out that it was a part of a scented candle! i am very worried about it so could any1 offer any advice i'm worried she will get very ill.

Keep an eye on her, I don't think wax is digested that easily. As long as she's not eaten too much then it'll probably just pass out her system, but if she does show any sign of discomfort get her to a vet immediately. There is a possibility that it could cause a blockage in her digestive system if she's eaten a lot, but it's unlikely if she only ate a bit. I hope she's OK, I would feel terrible if something like that happened to my rattie Tia. Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

BTW, there is a ppet general and pet health sub forum which would have been better to post this in

Zimbabwe 07/13

I moved this thread down to Pet General, where it belongs.

Keep an eye on her but it will probably pass thru her. My dogs once ate a box of 100 wax crayons. They pooped technicolor for about a week but were otherwise fine.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Hopefully she will be ok. Plain wax is fine, rodents eat it all the time, but scented candles can kill. This is because they aften contain toxic oils like clove oil to make the scent.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I think it will probably be alright. My rats eat soap lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

Thank you

Thx all for your advice i'll probably get her to the vets if she is looking off, but the thing is she's been looking a little off for a few days so i'm bit worried but thx for the advice. And lol about your dog! i hope my rat does that instead! lol scented poops! thanks all

Karen

THx for that

(Just a few nibbles)

She had a few nibbles but i don't think (i hope) that she ate too much, but why! Why would a rat be attracted to a scented candle!

What scent was it? I had a rat bite a chunk out of a blackberry scented candle once. I guess the blackberry smell was irresistable.

She was fine, but I was really worried for a few days there. Is your rattie pooping normally?

Thank you Wolf_Q!