Thread: OT: Gentle leader

OT: Gentle leader

Anyone else ever hear of the Gentle Leader?

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=29

I'm going to get this for Zoe next week, and was wondering if anyone else here uses it?

Yes. We use it for Buddy sometimes, he usually uses his paw to take it off though.

I used it with slight success on my dog. Some dogs will just not let you use it no matter how long you let them get use to it. THey will spend all of their time trying to get it off.

So it doesn't work?

Good God... I am sooo confused.

Zoe constantly pulls me and she has reinjured my arm. I have tennis elbow and has made it worse.

The URL does not work for me..

facebook

I never have used it. But its to train dog not to pull and/or tug on the leash.

Your link does not work for me.

But, I did use a gentle leader for Nala's leash training. It's a training tool ONLY. Fully read the instructions that come with it to understand how to train with it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I don't have one, but at the shelter there's a puppy named Moose who will tug on the leash and won't let you put it on him. A volunteer donated a gentle leader for him and it works with him! I have had no expierience with them, but from what changes I am seeing in Moose, it DOES work. I would say, try it.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I tried the halti which is basically the same time but cheaper
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender963
    Some dogs will just not let you use it no matter how long you let them get use to it. THey will spend all of their time trying to get it off.
    That's exactly what Niņo did.

Niņo & Eliza

I used a Gentle Leader with my rottie-mix, Rosie, and it was WONDERFUL!!!
    She was a very strong dog & walking her was like trying to walk a bull-dozer. Honestly, the very first minute we put the Gentle Leader on, she stopped pulling. It was a pleasure to walk her with the Gentle Leader. I understand not all dogs will react the same way, but I recommend it, based on my experience.

The gentle leader can be a very helpful tool, but it's very important that you introduce it as a positive thing to her. At first, she WILL try to get it off, dogs just aren't used to having something on their face like that. I'd suggest before actually walking her with it to get her accustomed to it gently and to associate it with good things. Showing it to her, giving a treat; putting it around her neck (but leaving the face/muzzle strap dangle) and treating her; and so on. When you put the muzzle strap on, let her wear it and treat her every time she's not trying to get it off. I'd do this for maybe 5 minutes at a time at first and work up, adding a leash when she seems more accustomed to it.

I think if you just put it on and attach a leash right away and try to walk her it's going to be a fight and she may immediately associate it with something unpleasant and continue to struggle any time it is on her.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I used it on my RIP dog, he was an 80p lab, rottie, pitty cross. He was VERY powerful & Loved to pull when he was young. He wore it for all 10 of his years (he didn't pull after awhile but he seemed to listen better when it was on him, I just didn't have a leash attached to it)

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I highly recommend it. I think it can work really well. yes, some dogs will try to pull it off, but, some dogs do really well with it. if there's any way you can start off using it on her and possibly jogging with her, that could work if she seems like she wants to remove it. finn would try to remove his if we were just walking, but, as soon as i upped the pace to a slow jog, he was too busy trotting alongside to worry about it. good luck.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I use a Haltie with Misty, I like it, cant say she does though lol I try to get by without it, and now I only use it when I bike ride with he girls, just cuz I cant have dogs pulling me while I am on my bike, Happy I just dont leash, but Misty is not quite as trustworthy lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Quote Originally Posted by 4theloveofzoe
    So it doesn't work?

Good God... I am sooo confused.

Zoe constantly pulls me and she has reinjured my arm. I have tennis elbow and has made it worse.
    I wouldn't say straight out it doesn't work. I'd say it depends largely on the dog and how you present it to them. Make it a positive thing rather than a negative and your more likely to have success. I'd try to borrow one first adn see how it works out.