Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas to convince someone not to breed

Ideas to convince someone not to breed

Ok, Sue's thread gave me the idea to start my own and ask for ideas. My sister-in-law has a three-year-old husky that they want to breed. They have been planning it for a while, and all that time I have been trying to convince them not to. They think that they are going to make lots of money from it so I haven't been able to convince them otherwise. In fact, a week or so ago they drove past a man walking his husky and stopped to ask him if the dog was male and not neutered, and found out that the guy might be interested in breeding him, so they exchanged phone numbers. This sounds horrible to me, any ideas on how to convince them not to breed her? Any good websites? Thanks guys!

Some guy off the street is a NO NO!!!
    If there was not breeders around we would not have our dogs,Is the dog too young,sick,?Why do you think it is a bad choice to breed?It is not for everyone i agree on that,I bred German Shepherds for 5 years.Then gave it up because i had no time for the dogs,they were getting older and i had young kids and work just was too much for me. I agree there is sometimes no money in it but that should not be reasoning why people breed is for the MONEY.
    If she wants to breed she needs to realize what all comes along.Shots are a given and alot of Breeders are now getting the Micro Chips now and that is costly.Why does she want to breed???

Sorry missed the age.That is no reason! for the money.They need to think about things!

"To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    If there was not breeders around we would not have our dogs,Is the dog too young,sick,?Why do you think it is a bad choice to breed?It is not for everyone i agree on that,I bred German Shepherds for 5 years.Then gave it up because i had no time for the dogs,they were getting older and i had young kids and work just was too much for me. I agree there is sometimes no money in it but that should not be reasoning why people breed is for the MONEY.
    If she wants to breed she needs to realize what all comes along.Shots are a given and alot of Breeders are now getting the Micro Chips now and that is costly.Why does she want to breed???
    I'm not necessarily against breeding in general, but I am against BYB, especially when they really have no idea what they are doing. They are only seeing dollar signs. It's pretty frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by animal_rescue
    Oh thank you for those! so sad

Seeing dollar signs in no way going into breeding!!!!!!!!!!!

That first Video is Horrible!!!

Well, of course we need breeders. We need responsible, reputable breeders to perpetuate our beloved breeds. There are some people who argue that not a single dog should be bred until all the homeless, adoptable animals are put into loving homes, but the issue of continuing breeds comes up.

That said, we DON'T need BYBs. Please don't think I'm trying to harrass you, but I wonder what your motive was to breed German Shepherds. I'm sure you loved the breed itself because that was what probably prompted you into breeding. I wonder, however, if you really evaluated why you breed.

Some people breed for conformation. Others breed for sports like Schutzhund, agility, flyball, herding, hunting, etc. The point is that all these dogs were bred for a reason. They were bred to "better the breed". They were NOT bred for money or to be companions. Nothing bothers me more than when people say they breed for the "perfect companion". WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE. We have enough companions. We have a surplus of a couple million companions. We don't need any more!!!! You want to provide people with a companion? Go to the shelter and help them pick out a pup. The ONLY way a reputable breeder ends up with a companion-quality pup is when the pup doesn't make the breeder's standard, whatever that may be: conformation or working. Edit to add: This is why you see some breeders who claim their pups are only available to performing homes. When I was looking at GSD and Dobe breeders, many of them asked for performance homes only.

Despite our different outlooks on why a dog should be bred, we can all agree that the only reason to breed is to improve the breed itself. If you bred Fifi to the next door neighbor's dog, you're doing nothing. Even if the dogs have papers and are purebred but not have been cleared from genetic disorders, you are doing nothing to helping the breed. Ask her, how will creating more dogs solely for the purpose of companionship help the breed? Her puppies will only contribute to the ever growing death toll.

I know it's a hard concept to grasp, but please take her into your local KILL shelter (the city pound, for example), and point out a dog to her. Try to choose a dog who probably won't be adopted. Since the usual maximum time a dog can spend in a shelter is 3 days, bring her back 3 days later and ask the employees if SIL can witness the destruction of a beautiful furry soul.

Good luck in convincing her not to breed! I would understand if she knew *completely* what to do, and she was doing it to better the breed, but just to make money, thats sad.
    I came to this thread to pick up some advice, since I have a friend that is bound and determined to breed her Black Lab for "some extra cash". She doesn't even have papers on her dog, plus in the shelters where we live, there are pure Labs everywhere.

What do i have too do with this,I had kennels put up Built myself out of my own pocket,the food on which was fed too animals.I did not breed any animal before i had this all done,i also used to foster dogs and that came out of my pocket.I bred German Shepherds who are now working in the Police Force all over the world.I do not understand what you mean by your comment towards me.I am not the one that wants to breed my dog and asking a complete stranger off the street because he owned the same breed as me.I dont think i should be questioned one bit.This is not my thread,nor is what i have said turned back to me,im not taking this as you are harrasing me but i should not be questioned in the same sence! No hard feelings but this thread should be focused on the sister in law that dont have a clue!!

excelent post Sophie, you sumed up my exact thoughts

Niņo & Eliza

I second that! If you can't convince them, are they even going to check this pooch's medical history?

Oh that's a great idea, taking her to the kill shelter. I'll try to arrange that soon. I don't know if they are planning to check the other dog's medical history, and I can sure bet that they won't do all of the tests on their own dog that should be done before breeding. It bothers me a lot that they want to do this. They've been talking about it a lot lately. They already are discussing what they are going to do with the money They told me last year, before I got Roscoe, not to get a dog so I could buy one of their puppies. We kind of got into it then, and I said that I would not buy from a BYB. ARG! Thanks for the ideas guys!

Aw, this is so sad. As said before taking them to the kill shelter is a good idea. Tell them "this is the likleist pla\ce your pups will end up." Also, show them those websites. It just may help. Good Luck!