Thread: beagle/doxie?

beagle/doxie?

My dad and I are searching for the perfect puppy. I found a beagle/doxie mix pup in a Pine City rescue. This dog will be able to roam without a fenced in yard. I know beagles NEED a fenced in yard most the time... do you think this mix will pick up that beagle trait to roam?
    http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6031789
    The only reason they say it's a beagle mix is because it's colored like one, so you never know.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Dachshounds Were Also Originally Bred For Hunting And The Chase, Although Decades Of Breeding And Inbreeding For Show And Comformity Has Bred Most Of That Drive Out Of Them, The Beagle In Your Pup May Very Well Bring It To The Forefront.

I Can Let Ginger (my Beagle) Run Free In The Yard As Long As I Am Within Eyesight And Earshot, But I Definitely Can't Let Her Run Free Unsupervised, She Will Be Off Hunting Before I Know It.

It's A Crapshoot For You, If You Really Have Free Range Of Acres You May Not Really Have An Issue If He/she Were To Take Off On An Occassional Excursion. They Always Come Back!

Dachshunds are NOT good off leash, yes, there are exceptions but a hound is a hound. Tia is good because she's afraid of the world and likes to stick close, Jesse was pretty good too but once she caught a scent eventhough she was extremely well trained and had an excellent recall there was no way you were getting her back easily. I'd never get a hound without a fenced in yard.

I wish there was a picture, I bet it's just a Piebald Dachshund. A lot of people don't know they come in colours besides red and black/tan so I wouldn't be surprised...
    Last edited by Tollers-n-Dobes; 04-11-2006 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    Dachshunds are NOT good off leash, yes, there are exceptions but a hound is a hound. Tia is good because she's afraid of the world and likes to stick close, Jesse was pretty good too but once she caught a scent eventhough she was extremely well trained and had an excellent recall there was no way you were getting her back easily. I'd never get a hound without a fenced in yard.
    We've had two mini doxies previously and they were great off leash... so my dad thinks they are good off leash dogs because that's our experience with them. I will have to tell them about that.

THanks for the replies.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Without a picture one can't be sure, but doxies do come in tri-colour. If this was a purebred I'd laugh. This is a 4 month old, so there is a chance for training him not to roam. But you need to take the time to get to know the pup. Don't just let him free the first day. Even though you might yard train him, he won't be 100% trustable so you'll need to supervise him outside.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I just checked your link that you had posted. I missed that the first time around. It is certainly possible to be the tri-color that they describe with the Beagle mix - sounds pretty.

MY "REAL" SURPRISE was how much they wanted for "you" to rescue a mix-breed dog - $225.00??? Rescue dogs usually go for less than $100.00 in our neck of the woods.

Dogs rescues around us charge upwards of $500. We can't afford to "rescue" a dog right now. The humane society charges $85 per dog, but the young and small ones are scooped up by rescues real quick. All thats left are huge dogs and old ones. There's a purebred Am. Eskimo and a bloodhound that wer left by the rescues for being too old.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Woah!! I didn't even look at the price. My dad would never pay that much.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*