Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe your dog...

Describe your dog...

I thought it would be fun, to see how you all viewed your dogs. Pick ONE of your dogs (I know, I know, but please just choose one) and post a picture of them, tell us where you got them or how, and share whatever you want about them! I think we have had a thread like this before, but so many people have had new additions and such, so I thought I would bring up another one. Have fun!
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

I'll go first...

Autumn:

I got Autumn from a family in town. Actually, we kind of stole her. This is what happend... My dad is a landlord, and rents out trailor houses. The family was NOT supposed to have a dog, but they got one anyways. They almost always had it tied up outside. My dad told them that they had to find a new home for it. They got "rid" of her, but a week and a half later she was back. So, me and my dad went to her house and told her if she wanted to give us the dog, we would take her and find her a new home. But the lady was sleeping, and her two children (ages 5 and 3?) we outside playing by themselves. The puppy was tied up, but the leash was hooked onto a tick collar and when the puppy saw us she pulled and pulled and got loose. A neighbor man caught her and gave her back to the kid who put her in the house. Then the little girl ran inside quick and the puppy got loose again. Me and my dad looked EVERYWHERE for her, but could not find her. After a while, we were on our way home, and found her in a yard under a trailor, with another dog who lived at the home. I got out of the truck and got her, and we brought her home. We planned on bringing her to the Humane Society, because my parents didnt want another dog. At the time we were having troubles with Maggie barking and whinning all night long, and the day that we brought Autumn home, all that stopped, I guess she just wanted a friend! So we ended up keeping her.

She has meant everything to me. She is the best baby anybody could ask for. She has never bit me (not even when she was a puppy and teething) never chewed on anything. She loves to give kisses, and sometimes thinks she's a lap dog, which is fine with me! I love to snuggle with her. She gets really protective of me if I am holding her in my lap or something and Maggie or Boo boo tries to get me to pet them, she will bark and growl and carry on until they go away. She follows me just about everywhere, and is so well behaved. She loves everyone and everything. I love her to death, and she means the world to me.
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

Bailey...

After months of looking for the perfect dog, I chose to buy a Great Dane puppy. I LOVE their personality and goofiness. The breeder had a litter of 15 puppies, with only a few available to pet homes. I had to choose between a Mantle, Harlequin and a Mantle Merle. I chose the merle because that is my favortite colour. I absolutely fell in love when the breeder sent me pictures of him. I have only had him for a few weeks and it feels like I have had him forever. He is the perfect dog for us, we all love him. Bailey is fun to be around, goofy, and has the silliest bark! He sounds like a Coonhound! LOL! I love him to bits and couldn't imagine finding a better dog than him. He suits my lifestyle almost too perfectly!

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Maggie Mae

Maggie is my heart and soul. I don't know what I would do without her, as I'm extremely attached to her. We got Maggie from a breeder when she was 5 weeks old. My dad is a landscaper and a job he did was for this guy, a breeder, well the guy said he'd throw in a puppy if he didn't have to pay in full. Honestly, one of the best deals I think my family has ever done. Maggie is an absolute joy to have around. She loves people and kids especially. She is extremely protective of my neices and will follow them around the house to make sure their safe. She'll let them play cards on her stomach or use her as a hill when they play with dolls and whatnot, simple stuff they know to never hurt her, and they love her to bits too. They are always looking for her when they come over. Maggie is probably one of the smartest dogs I know, she may not know a lot of tricks, but she always understands what you need and wants to help in any way she can. I swear she is more like a human. As much as I hate to say favorites, Maggie is!
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Maggy,
    Is our first dog together we were talking about getting a dog and my husband had always wanted a border collie so he gets the breeder book out(he went into the dog store and they have a breeder book which has listings of all breeds) that day he called a breeder which was just at the Quebec border.And just so happend he had 4 females ready to go.We went and i liked the one girl but jamie is a sucker for the timid dogs Maggy was cowering in the corner well he got his way!and she has been a loyal friend ever since

I only have one dog.

SASSY:

I was five years old when I got Sassy. I had had open heart surgery(I have a heart condition.) and have ALWAYS wanted a dog. Well, after two weeks in the hospital for recovery I was free. So, we went to my godfathers house for a *visit* and my parents said we were going to look at dogs this weekend! I had no idea I was going to get one. There she was. As tiny as a kitten. I took right to her and now she is mine forever. I've had her for 8 years and what a dog she is. She's so bossy! She has such a personality and is pure evil. But all in all, she is a GREAT dog.

Morgan:

After almost a year of living without a Rottweiler, my family decided that we really wanted another one. We were already thinking about it around November or so but when we went to a dog show in January my mom was petting a couple of them and happened to run into a woman who is involved in the Southern Alberta Rottweiler Rescue organization. We actually wanted a younger adult (around 2-3yrs) but there were no young adult females available so we were then told about a 2 female puppies, one which was 6 months old and the other who was almost 4 months old. We were going to look at the 6 month old but she got adopted shortly after we were told about her so we then went to see the 4 month old and fell in love. Morgan is such a good puppy, I've never met a pup like her in my life. She's so calm, gentle and extremely willing to please us. She's only had 2 accidents since we've had, both were in the first 2 days and happened while my mom and I were out and my Dad wasn't watching her properly. She's never chewed anything she shouldn't have (well, she and Winston tried playing with a shoe once but that's all) and is a very quick learner. We can take her absolutely anywhere and she behaves perfectly, she's a little afraid of people at first but it doesn't take her long to warm up to you. She's also very quiet, she's only barked about 4 times since we've had her. After Echo had to be PTS we never thought we'd have another dog quite as wonderful as she was but Morgan is pretty close! She's such a great pup and will only become better with age I'm sure. I'm not sure what else to say other than how nice it is to have a Rottie again....

Sam

Well, Sam was one of the two surviving puppies from a BYB. His mom stopped feeding his brothers and sisters, so they died, except him and his sister. They sold his sister at 5 weeks old , and we got Sam when he was 9 weeks. I had wanted another Cocker Spaniel since my RB cocker had died. I dreamed of a parti color, and Sam just happened to be one! He's definatly my little man. He is the biggest cuddler in the whole world. He loves everyone, he's shy at first but once he warms up to you, he's your best buddy! He knows when I'm down and he'll make me feel better. He's the biggest goof... you can depend on him to make you laugh! He is my little sweetie.... his tail never stops wagging! I just love him to bits.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Adele:

We don't really know too much about Adele's life before we adopted her. We don't know her exact birthdate, but it's sometime in August of 2003 (we celebrate her birthday on August 11th). She was about 11-12 weeks old when we brought her home. I was looking for another dog, and I actually wanted to find a male, but I saw Adele's picture on petfinder and fell in love with her face. She was at a shelter just into Minnesota close to my husband Eric's home town. So, when we picked her up we took Marta and stopped at the in laws and she got to meet their dogs on her first day home. We have a polaroid of all the pets and people together, and Adele looks so tiny. She has turned out to be a good friend to Marta, and a good dog. We usually say that Marta is "my" dog and Adele is Eric's dog, but neither of us could live without any of our pets. Adele is a very sweet dog, and will greet you like you've been out of town for months after you've been gone only an hour. She also adores peanut butter and knows the word, but her absolute favorite words are "dog park."

Jared - turning 6yr old Golden Retriever -

When my mom and I moved to town we had to give up most of our pets ,at the time 2 dogs,9 cats (we kept 2) , the 2 dogs killed our goats so no worries there that was one of the reasons we got rid of them because we found out they not only killed the goats but were getting out and running deer and chasing horses around the area.) I was devastated because I had never ever in my life been without a dog. I begged and begged and begged for another dog. Well the chance came a friend rescued a golden retriverxGSDxafgan mix. Her collar had cut deeply into her neck and she was around 60lbs underweight. The people kept her until her neck was fulled healed then gave her to us. Nikki was wonderful until she turned neurotic.... She got into my closet dug the floor out and peed all over , refused to go outside because she was worried that we would leave her there. Those are just two of the hundreds of problems we had with her. We took her to the vet and asked is there any type of natural remedy that would help her calm down some. The vet recommended drugs.... serious people type drugs that were going to cost us 175$ a month. Sadly we felt it would be best to find her a new home that could afford that. Funny enough she went to a therapist that works with nervous behaviors in people heh! Once again my heart was ripped out because I'd bonded with my psycho dog. Once again the begging began. Finally my mothers current boyfriend talked her into it. She picked me up from school and stared driving. I kept asking where are we going? After about 40 minutes of her ignoring my questions we pulled down this long gravel driveway and I saw a huge grown golden retriever. She looked at me and said "You can pick a puppy but the breeder is only giving us a deal on the males so you have to pick one of those." I scrambled out of the car and ran to the door of the house. The lady took me around back to the yard and there were 8 wiggly fluffy fat balls of gold! I just sat down in the middle of them and let them all play around me. I actually wanted a female that tried to play with me non-stop but I had to pick a male. Finally one came over and sat in my lap and looked up at me with dark chocolate eyes and I knew I was in LOVE!!! We took him home and hes my best friend

Ask my some day why I neutered him.

Great stories everyone!! I just love hearing all the stories about how you all came across your wonderful babies! Hope we get to read more!
    DeviantArt
    Beth-

Hmmm, who to pick......???

Sleet is my canine soulmate. She's my best buddy. She was our first Yukon dog. At the time she arrived, we only had three other dogs. We had just met a musher named Trish and her family. Stuart was taking a class with Trish and her husband that ran for several weekends. On the last day, he when he got home, he said Trish had "sent something home" for me and it was in the truck. I was expecting some baking or something like that. I found Sleet sitting on the front seat, scared out of her wits.

This was taken just after she arrived. We bonded the second I looked at her. Sleet had spent her life as working sled dog, but at heart she wanted to be a pet. Trish recognized that and knew that she couldn't give Sleet that so she gave her to us. While she continued to work, it didnt' take her long to get comfy on the couch! Sleet pulled for me for four years. This is the first winter she hasn't worked at all. She has self-retired. She's probably 12 years old now.

Trish also gave us Paxil, for about the same reasons. I don't consider them rescues. They were in no danger with Trish. She's a wonderful, gentle woman and they could have lived out their lives with her. She knew that they weren't happy living in a dog yard though. The last time I saw her, she told me that the best thing she ever did for Sleet & Paxil was give them to me. I think they are the best gifts I've ever received.

Without Sleet, I would have never started mushing and if I had tried, we would have gotten nowhere! She was a phenomenal lead dog, never missed a command, knew where to turn even when I didn't have a clue. I got very, very lost once a few years ago. I was a long way from home and not equiped to spend the night outside. (I now don't leave the yard without enough to make it through a night). In a bit of a panic, I got off the sled, knelt in the snow beside Sleet and told her that I was going to trust her and asked her to pick a trail. The trail she picked led to a house, probably the only one for miles. They had a satelitte phone that they let me use, gave me some tea and cookies and treats for the dogs. When I couldn't get ahold of Stuart, they loaded my dogs and sled into their SUV and drove me home! I've never doubted my leaders since!

Here's Sleet a couple days ago, hanging out with Delta. She gets along with all the other dogs. They all know that there are different rules for Sleet. There is no growling or snarling at Sleet allowed! She is usually first through the door and always sleeps by my bed. For a long time, she wouldn't settle down unless I had my hand on her back. I learned to sleep with one arm dangling over the side of the bed.

Her eyes are cloudy, her hips are shot and her knees are going, she's got more grey in her black fur now, but she's still got a strong spirit, a happy heart and gentle soul. She's my special girl, always will be.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Well, Jesse is my only furbabe that is a dog, so I will do her!

Jesse is my wonderful three-legged girl that my parents bought. We had an ESS before, and we had to give him to a farmer (Brandi was biting, and snarling at my parents and sister). Well, my dad loved black and white springers, and Jesse happened to be one of the last two in her litter. Well, we brought her home, and one day, on my family's way up to our shack, she fell out of the back of our pick-up (needless to say that we will never again put a dog in the back of a pick-up) and this is how she lost her leg. Her knee was shatterd, and part of the top of the bone in her leg ended up in her ankle. Her ankle was also broken, and partly shattered. We couldn't save her leg, so we had 2 options, 1) amputation, or 2) euthanasia. We didn't have to think about that decision!

Jesse is the love of my life, and she will never be forgotten. In fact, she is the reason I joined PT! She is 6 years old, and was born on March 10. I love my three-legged girl, and stated clearly in my sig, she has three legs, and a big heart!

Stephanie and Jesse

Since we're just picking one to describe, at random so to speak, then no favoritism is implied at all, right? Don't want the Murph Dog or the Gull Man to feel left out, because they are just as loved. Hear that guys? So with that disclaimer out of the way, I'm going to chose Oz to describe.

I stumbled across a litter of Smooth Collie puppies on the internet. I did a lil' research on the breeder and liked what I found, so I emailed her with interest in a couple of the female Blue Merle puppies. It was a litter of 9 I believe and they were all spoken for except for 1 Sable Merle Male and 1 Sable Male.

I talked to the breeder in length about the puppies and her breeding program. I really liked her and based on her description of his personality was drawn to the lil' Sable Merle puppy. His name was Cosmo at that time. I found out later he had the most gorgeous blue eyes. What all those people were thinking to pass him over, I do not know. Boy, they missed boat.

I named him "Whizzer of Oz" to go with my 2 lil' Toto dogs. He fit in immediately and it was obvious from the start that he was special. My Mom, who's not a dog person at all, fell in love with him instantly and commented on how he was always staring at me, just waiting for me to give him something to do. He's always been alert to me and everything around him, soaking it all in and analyzing it. He knows what I want and how things are suppose to be, so that if anything's amiss, he's right on it, letting me know. I swear he's the closest thing to Lassie, I'll ever hope to have in my life.

He's been in many training classes over the years and I've had several instructors comment on how intelligent he is and what a wonderful personality he has. In fact, they fondly referred to him as the Infamous Oz, sort of akin to being the Great and Powerful Oz, I guess.

He truly loves everybody he meets, man or animal, so he's a joy to take anywhere we deem to go. I know I make him sound perfect and I know that's not really true, but boy he's dang close. I just can't ever imagine having a dog again that's this incredibly special.

My Grandmother has had dogs over the years that she has dearly loved and her children and grandchildren have had many dogs over the years that she's liked. I've had 4 myself. Yet, the only dog's picture that she has displayed anywhere in her house, is this picture of the Oz Man. No one is immune to his charms.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I'll do Rusty... because he is my only dog.

When I was about 8 or 9 years old I got Rusty. He lived a few streets over... his orignal owners didn't really want him, I guess they got "sick" of him so when they moved his came with their house. Well the next people didn't really want him so they just put a dog house outside for him and gave him food. He would come around every few day say "hi" to my brother and I then leave. Once when he came around my mom gave him a hamburger and after that he keep coming back wanting more and more good people food. When we went away on vacation we left a giant bowl of food out for him in case he stayed around my house while we were gone, when we came back we didn't see him but by the time we got out of the car he came running from around back. He most likly stayed at our house waiting the four days we were gone. He would "sleep" on my moms chair because late at night when my mom went ourt for a smoke he'd be laying there. Well one day the dog warrten came around and stopped at our house and said why are you letting your dog roam around the neightborhood? My mom said hes not our dog but he comes around and we give him food. The lady said wait I know how this is its Rusty Johnston, Do you want him I'll ask the owners if you can. So my dad said sure we'll take him. Well sometime that day she called the house and said he was ours now. Hes about 7 years old, because the neightboors had said they'd pick him up when he was a puppy, and bring him home. (and they said 3 years ago he was a puppy... to that time) We also heard lots of storys about him.. once my mom was at the bank and saw him in the back of the car and said hi rusty... and she said once she had a guy coming in workin in her house and he had left the door opened and when she walked in her kitchen he was laying on the floor. We also have heard the teenagers would give him drugs (lsd,etc.) to laugh at him when he was all out of it. And we think he may have been shot with a bb gun.

I love Rusty soo much. I don't know what I would do without him, he had gave me scares in life and very fun times. He is the best dog ever thought he is scared of alot of thing. Overall He is BEST dog in the whole wide world. We don't know his real birthday, but his got cha day is Octomber 23