Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question about ORANGE kitties.

A question about ORANGE kitties.

I keep hearing that orange male tabbies are the greatest. How about orange females? My husband and I have been talking about bringing in another cat but are toying with the idea of getting an orange, or flame pointed, cat because it would "complete our kitty colour spectrum". That would not be any SERIOUS reason we would get our next cat, I just thought it would be nifty. I am going to go look through the "pound" and shelters soon. Also, I was toying with getting an orange kitty because it reminds me of my RB Oliver. He was a great cat. He LOVED taking earrings out of ears at midnight. That's when he loved affection the most, too. ANYWAYS. I wanted to bring in another female but I've read that females, usually of any type/breed, are more territorial which is what I wanted to avoid. Oh man. I won't turn down my next cat if it is not orange that is just what I have my eye open for.

I have a long haired orangie female and she's pretty mean. She's not very friendly with humans or with other cats. Weezie lets my girls know she was the first cat and she's top cat of the home. She loves me and my husband but she's not a people cat.

I suspect this has more to due with her natural nature than being based on color/temperment but I felt it would be best to give you the heads up just in case.

Good luck in finding a new addition to your home! I always joke with my husband too that we need to "collect the whole set" talking about getting one in every color
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

Ginger females are a lot less common than males. We had one ginger female in a foster litter once- she was actually quite sweet- had three ginger brothers so she was sort of in the shadow of their riotous behavior. We actually almost kept her, but she found a home that was too good to pass up. We even named her Gracie- which was something we usually don't do with fosters- just give them nicknames. Her brothers were just called 'The Yellow Fellows'.

Bringing in a kitten would likely be easiest when you already have established females. I am sure there are lots of kittens coming into shelters this time of year- I am sure you will find the cat for you! Good luck!

I still think you should just go and look with no preconceived ideas about colour, breed, whatever and just let the cat or kitten pick you. That's how it usually works out.

I am one of those who believe that orangie males are the BEST! But orange females............well??????? The one I have is a S*N*O*B.

I have never met an orange female, but the orange males who permanently live in the shelter where I help (one has FIV and the other one has a heart disease) are my best friends! I love these two orange guys! They are the ones with the strongest personality, they know what they want and they are very talkative.
    I know it doesn't help you...sorry!

The orange females I have met are very shy and sweet and nurturing - though my experience is limited. I am not sure it has to do with coloring, although I do have a feeling about blackies, that they are especially affectionate and docile and person-oriented and gentle. So I guess it could have some color link somehow. I understand about being drawn toward a particular color - but I also understand that even if you feel drawn toward a particular color to begin with, a visit to the shelter may introduce you to a kitty of an unexpected color who wins your heart. Happy kitty-finding. I wish I could go looking for more, but we have a harmonious home balance, and we are going to maintain as is.

My female orangie is just the sweetes kitty. She's so easy going & obedient that I call her my "cat-dog". She is a little on the shy side but she has NEVER been aggressive or mean in any way shape or form, not even when strangers catch her & hold her.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

My Kasie is orange female and just as lovely as they come. Her and sister Mina get along very well. Kasie is a bit more playful than Mina and loves to be held. So I would say go for it.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

LOL! It almost sounds like orangie female kitties are like red-headed women!
    Fiery!

I love it!

~Aki
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

Tinky is my orange *girl* and she is definately QUEEN BEE!!! But she was my first kitty too.... so maybe that has something to do with her being sooooo territorial... But she is the SWEETEST kitty ever!! TO ME.. not to other kitties!!

Jupiter is my orange *boy* and I've never met a sweeter soul!! He is soooo sensitive.. and such the gentleman! He loooves to meet other kitties and loves his mommy too!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

My orange boy Sunny is a sweetheart. He's also the goofiest and most entertaining cat too. I had an orange female cat when I was growing up and she became moodier as she got older but I still loved her. My Starr is a Flame Point Siamese mix and he's very much a mama's boy but he's also on the feisty side. I hope that everything will work out for you. I still think that orangies are the best.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Quote Originally Posted by aki
    LOL! It almost sounds like orangie female kitties are like red-headed women!
    Now, now

My orangie female, Goldie, was the sweetest, most loving cat ever. When she died I went looking for another orange female and that is when I discovered how rare she was. I'd get another orange female in a heartbeat if I could find one when I wanted to add to my brood.

For now, having one goofy orange male is enough He balances out Mitzi's moodiness.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

My Scout is a female orange tabby. She's the only one in my group of 5 who doesn't get along well with the others. She doesn't like for the younger cats to bother or touch her and she hates my oldest cat, Ripley, with a passion. She is constantly fighting with Jazz for the Queen Bee spot but Jazz is bigger and a little older and always wins.

On the other hand I have to say Scout it my special kitty. I knew it when I saw her at the shelter. She had been abused by some boys and had really had a hard life. That might explain some of her issues. Anyway, she is a total sweetheart to me, loves to sleep with me everynight and has really bonded with me.

Out of all 5 of my cats she is the only truly social one with people and doesn't hide when we have company. She obviously prefers people to cats - very surprising knowing that people had abused her.

From Decker with Love

I have an orange and white female by the name of Brianna. Or Brianna banana bread..or my sweet potato pie with marshmellows. She is a major jokester. She loves nothing better than to hide behind something such as a blanket or a door and then leap out and startling the other cats walking by. she loves to be brushed and scratched and petted as long as you don't touch her tail or legs. Those will earn you a hiss and swat. She is a goof but not much of a lap cat or a cuddler. She will sleep with me some nights but that is as much snuggling as she will do.

Denyce