Thread: Odd Male Cat Behavior?

Odd Male Cat Behavior?

Hello,

I have a 2-year-old neutered male Persian that we rescued from animal control about six months ago. He is such a loving cat, but has an odd behavior that I've never experienced before.

Loki likes to lay on some part of our body (arm, leg, foot) and purr when we're sitting on the couch or lying in bed. However, it's not enough for him to just lay across one of our appendages, he actually puts his teeth on us and presses.....not biting exactly, but more like he's pinning us down.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Last night I jokingly said to my husband: "Look, Loki's going all alpha male on me again."

The behavior doesn't really bother us...it's more of a curiosity at this point. Thanks for your help! --Karla

Well, first, let me welcome you to pettalk. Loki sounds like quite the character. Maybe this is behaviour he learned before coming to your home? My guess is, that as long as he isn't hurting you, its ok - but if he does cross that line you'll need to stop him.

My Sid will sometimes try to bite my leg (because he doesn't want me to leave) when I'm getting into the shower but he knows that he is not allowed to do that

These are not the droids you were looking for

It sounds to me like he's flemming, I think that's the word anyway. When cats want to detect a more subtle scent, they will use thier sebacious glands to pick up the smell. Maghoí does that "pressing" thing too.

DrNiblik - are you studying to become a veterinarian? Your questions are so astute! If not, consider it. You'd be wonderful in that highly esteemed profession!

That is very kind of you to say, Meowm. As it happens, I am a librarian with a particular interest in Irish folklore and psychohistory. That is not to say psychos in history, but the reason why they were 5-star nut jobs! I was raised in a house packed with cats, and have always been interest in why they do the kind of crazy s*** they do.

As if we mere humans could ever figure it out!
    Your job sounds interesting, but I will still think working with animals is something to consider when psychopaths get dull.