Thread: Am I WRONG to think this way?

Am I WRONG to think this way?

Zoe is almost a year old, and she LOVES to play.

She'll bark at me, and crouch down on her front legs. She'll run up to me, inviting me to play. I'll step towards her and she'll back up barking louder. (which my neighbors hate). I'll tell her to be quiet, and she'll bark even louder. Jumping at me, crouching down. (I do know that this is the stance that they get into, when they want to play). She runs around onto the sofa and down again. And occassionally knocks over my 2 1/2 year old.

She gets walks 2 times a day at least 2 miles one way.

Everyone says that this is agressive behavior and that i need to curb it NOW!!

I'm thinking that she's just playing. And I laugh at her behavior.

Am I wrong?

I HAVE NO CLUE!!! but my 1 year old bloodhound does this also...Id love to know how to stop them from doing this! theyre SO LOUD and his favorite time is 3 am

No, it's not aggressive behaviour. All dogs go in to a sort of "play-mode" every now and then. Some dogs more than others and also as they get older, they tend to not display this very puppy like behaviour as much as they used to. (Though, my RB dog Kelly would still act like that, even when she was 13 years old )

I suspect your dog is just acting her age. She's being goofy and inviting you to play with her.

I know some people who see a dog acting like that and they immediately think it has got to have some obedience problems.. But for me it really comes down to personal taste. I don't mind a dog that likes a good romp around the house every now and then (hey, that's one of the most fun things about having a dog) but other people might prefer a dog being quiet inside the house at all times.

If this behaviour is a problem for you, I suggest you ignore her when she gets like that inside the house and instead take her outside to vent of this energy through some play. Just taking her for walks is probably not enough for her.

-Varga

Quote Originally Posted by 4theloveofzoe

She'll bark at me, and crouch down on her front legs. She'll run up to me, inviting me to play. I'll step towards her and she'll back up barking louder. (which my neighbors hate). I'll tell her to be quiet, and she'll bark even louder. Jumping at me, crouching down. (I do know that this is the stance that they get into, when they want to play). She runs around onto the sofa and down again. And occassionally knocks over my 2 1/2 year old.

Am I wrong?
    It's typical play behaviour, but you really need to think about directing play, this means training, this means giving up 15mins out of your day to do on leash training and a regime of NILIF the rest of the time.
    Basically you become the godess of food fun doors cuddles and all things wonderful.
    When you say enough it should mean enough and she should stop. I can see a potential problem should she knock your child over and your child gets injured... i forsee your dog ending up in the pound as unadoptable.

The time has come to take control and set up as pack leader.
    YOU need to direct her energy where YOU want it not the other way round.

Yes we live with cats visit www.aarrff.org

My dog does the same thing as well I'm pretty sure your dog is just playing. My dog likes me to chase him so he jumps at my feet and does the 'play stance' and then when i run towards him he runs away trying to get me to chase him. Usually to make him come back or stop barking, I turn around and he'll run up behind me but the only thing is that when I turn back around he runs again.

I'd just be careful and keep a watchful eye on it. I at first was nervous when my boxer would get rough during play but I eventually got him to the point where if I say "rest" he calms down and stops barking. You might want to try and get your dog to do somethign similar so that you remain in control at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theloveofzoe

Am I wrong?
    Just noticed your sig.....I used to have a pup just like yours...Now I have another just Choc Brn. Great pup!

Reply to "Am I Wrong"

Hi,
    My Gemini is the same way. She's just about 10 mos now and she's very hyper and playful. She barks constantly when she wants to play or if one of the other dogs has her toy. She jumps up on us and nips when she's excited. I don't think this is aggressive behavior, but it definitely needs to be stopped--just imagine her acting like that when she's 2 or 3 yrs and much bigger. I suggest you get into a puppy class soon; the socialization with other dogs and owners will be wonderful for Zoe.

Is this the same ZOE that you were thinking you might have to relocate??? I get confused as to everyone's names and who owns who?

If so, sounds like things are working out? I think Zoe is just playing... pretty standard playful behavior. Will likely subside some after 2 years as dogs tend to mature after that and play a little less!

Fenway does that when he wants to play.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

that aint no aggressive behaviour! lol she just wants to play and she obviously has energy to spare, even the walks she is getting is probably not enugh, walks are boring she wants to play, how is she off leash? to you ever take her to parks and let her off leash to play? if you cant how about teaching her to behave while bikeriding? you will be able to take her farther and faster, you can change your pace so she runs for a bit walks for a bit runs for a bit etc.. if you replaced your walks with something like this she will wear out better, or if you have a dog park, or just anypark that she can be off leash, bikeride her to the park, let her off, play with her, roughhouse with her whatever, then bikeride her somemore, until she is totally beat then ride very slowly home as a cool down for a muscles.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Your dog wants PLAY TIME. Even my 11 year old Sasha will do this when I get home from work, every day. She brings me a toy, barks and does the play position thing. Because she's older, a couple of tosses of the toy and she's had enough. While it may be annoying with a younger dog, I find it music to my ears with my older girl, showing me she's not so old after all.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I agree with everyone above. Even though she gets lots of walks, that isn't enough. Molli and Sam get a 20 minute walk every day, plus a good game of fetch, soccer, or a romp around the backyard. Is your yard fenced in? Is she reliable off leash? If so, play fetch or just give her a good run.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by BOBS DAD
    Is this the same ZOE that you were thinking you might have to relocate??? I get confused as to everyone's names and who owns who?
    I've been wondering the same thing.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*