Thread: Going on vacation...advice on what to do with our 4...

Going on vacation...advice on what to do with our 4...

Hello everyone -

Long time, no post, I know. We've been happy and healthy enjoying our home that we bought last year, and busy with work. Our cats love our home, as we knew they would, and since it's spring, we've been spending lots of time in our 3-season room. I just recently took pictures of the cats enjoying a 70-degree day out here earlier this week that I need to get developed and hopefully will post soon.

Anyway, my issue is this...we're going on vacation to Jamaica soon (June 10-17) to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary a bit early (it's actually Aug 4), and this will be first time that we've left our cats for that long. We debated whether or not to take the 4 wonderful kitties to Southern Illinois, where our parents live, to have one set of our parents catsit for them. However, we've discovered from our trips to the vet recently that 2 of the 4 really get traumatized by going in the car for any length of time, and the last time they went away from our house for a few days with us, they weren't too happy. So, we're thinking that for the week-long vacation, we're going to have our across-the-cul-de-sac neighbor who we recently started hanging out with (who also has a dog that we've looked in on a couple of times), come by a couple times each day to check the litter, check the food and water levels and pet the cats (if they come out to see her). We think this probably will be the most stress-free solution for them, since the cats will stay in the comfort of their own home, plus it has the added bonus of someone looking in on our house while we're gone too.

Do you guys have any advice as to what exactly to tell our cat-sitter/neighbor and how much the going rate is for providing this type of help to us while we're away?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions...

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

The neighbor is a wonderful idea. That's what we do all the time.

You say you've taken care of their dog - did they pay you? It's really nice if you can use the barter system. You watch their pets - they watch yours. And truthfully, cats are easier. They don't need to be walked. Just feed them and scoop poop. Love is nice - if they allow it.

Our neighbors are leaving for Florida tomorrow for a week; they have two cats. No money will be exchanged. She'll probably buy us a small souvenier. When we take off later this year, she will watch our 5 cats.

There are bonded pet caretakers out there. Not sure how much they charge - I'm thinking $10 to 15 per visit.

Well, actually, all we had to do was let their dog out as they were gone for a good portion of the day. It was no big deal. I wonder if the barter system would work - it seems that it would be easy to help them out with their dog each day if they were gone for a longer period of time, but they might board their dog if that's the case.

Thanks for reassuring me on this idea.

-- Albert Schweitzer --

When we had RB Kyte and RB Monkee our neighbour used to feed them (they were indoor/outdoor) and we feed theircat milo when they go away. sometimeswe bring ange (our neighbour) back chocolate or something.

Finally I got catsters for my beauties!!
    http://www.catster.com/?260059
    http://www.catster.com/?260064

I love my precious kittens and I hope they have long and happy lives filled with love.

Cats and dogs arent pets, theyre family members that need the same respect as humans. Would you dump your children out in the countryside to fend for themselves??

I think that as long as theres Fresh Food and the Litter Box is clean that Your Cats will be Fine!
    I was worried about The Found Cats when I was in The Hospital for a Month,and when I came home they were just the same as if I had just left them to go out shopping.
    Just have her come in once a Day to make sure things are All Right.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Gloucestershire but originally from Scotland!
    As professional catsitter i would say get someone in once or twice a day to feed, fuss and check on your puss cats. Pity I was not in the same country as you as i would love to help you out with your furry felines! I charge £10 for 1 visit a day and £18 for 2 daily visits- prices are in UK sterling (not sure how much that is in dollars??)
    Less stress for your cats and for you if they can stay in their own house/environment.

Sounds perfect to me!! I would ask the lady to come to your house a few times before you leave, so that the cats can get used to her voice. It will also be good for her to learn more about your cats' habits
    Wow, JAMAICA, I am jealous....
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

She has been over, but it's been a while, and we will definitely have her over a few times to get better acquainted with them before we go if she's going to be the cat-sitter.

Thanks everybody for your advice!

-- Albert Schweitzer --