Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking a dog aggressive dog off lead? OPINIONS PLEASE

Walking a dog aggressive dog off lead? OPINIONS PLEASE

I wanted to ask everyone's opinions about something that happened to me yesterday. Comments would be appreciated.

Kya is an 18 month old Lab/Border Collie mix who belongs to my friend. I have known her since she was 18 weeks old. She is extremely high energy and VERY ball/toy motivated. She loves people and especially kids. She is also dog aggressive, but there is a reason for this, as she was attacked by another dog at 12 weeks old (before my friend owned her) and suffered a broken jaw which had to be wired. So you cant blame her for being fear aggressive around other dogs, having suffered such a traumatic experience when she was just a pup.

However, i'd say her fear aggression was mild. She WILL NOT ever run up to another dog or look for a fight. Even if another dog runs up to her she wont react, and its only if a dog gets right in her face that she will snap. (And it is just snapping, not attacking or lunging or anything, just 'im scared, leave me alone' sort of thing). She has 100% recall offlead, and like I said, WILL NOT approach another dog.

So, I was walking her off lead in the park yesterday. There were no other dogs around, and we were playing fetch. Suddenly, a black and white spaniel appeared from nowhere and began to run towards Kya. Its owner ( a woman) was calling it but it was taking no notice. I called Ky straight to me, she came straight away and i grabbed her collar. I called to the woman "Can you call your dog off please, mines not friendly". The woman called her dog again but it ignored her. It came right up to us, got into Kyas face and she snapped at it, didnt actually bite, just snapped, and growled.

The woman ran up to us, grabbed her dog and yelled in my face "you stupid cow, if shes aggressive she should be on a lead" I tried explaining to the woman that Kya wont approach another dog, and would only snap if a dog approached her, and that as Ky comes straight back to me when I call her, the only way she can snap at a dog would be if the dog came upto us, but the woman was having none of it. She kept yelling, calling me a stupid b*tch and telling me i should keep my dog on a lead. She asked for my name and address, and told me she if she saw Kya in that park again she would be calling the police.

Now, honest opinions, was I in the wrong here? I accept that, for MOST dog aggressive dogs, they shouldnt be let off lead where other dogs are about. But for a dog who wont approach another dog, who has a perfect recall and who was no more than 20 feet away from me at any time, surely its different?

As I tried to explain to the woman, the situation wouldve been no different if I HAD've had Kya on a lead, as her dog would've still run upto us, and Kya still wouldve snapped at it. I had hold of Kyas collar long before the dog reached us, and I gave the woman plenty of warning that Kya wasnt friendsly, so, if anything, its the WOMAN who should have her dog off lead, as it completely ignored her when she was calling it. What if id've been the other side of a road and her dog had seen Kya? Would it've ran out into the road to get to her, because it has no recall? Would it still have been my fault then? HER dog was out of control, not mine.

Sorry for such a long rant, it just annoyed me having my details taken and being yelled at, for something I feel wasnt my fault. Am I wrong? Should I not be allowed to let Kya off lead, or was this woman overreacting? The worst part is that she called me irresponsible, which i dont think I am. Opinions please?

Thanks,

Amy.

Ps. Will have some photos of Kya to share soon, she's a great dog!

EDITED TO ADD: To prevent anymore confusion ... This was a public park, not a dog park (we dont have dog parks in the UK) and it is the norm in the UK to walk your dog offlead as long as it is controllable (ie has good recall etc)
    Last edited by ComedyDevil; 04-08-2006 at 05:20 AM.
    Amy & the furkids

Honestly I don't think she should be in a place where there are other off leash dogs. It's great she has a perfect recall, but that doesn't meant all the other dogs do too.

Now for that exact situation I'd say it was part your fault and part the other woman's. She should've been able to call her dog back to her, but she shouldn't have had to worry about her dog getting snapped at for greeting another dog either. You're right it would have been the same if Kya had been in the park on a leash, but leashed or not she shouldn't have been a park where other dogs are off leash. I think you were asking for trouble.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix
    Honestly I don't think she should be in a place where there are other off leash dogs. It's great she has a perfect recall, but that doesn't meant all the other dogs do too.
    I tend to agree with that statement. I have a dog aggressive dog too. Kayleigh has great recall. I don't let her off leash where other dogs are because I can't control the other dogs. I can control Kayleigh, but you just never know what another dog will do. I've put too much time and effort into saving Kayleigh to have her declared dangerous because of someone else's stupidity. Up here, an off-leash dog involved in a fight, wether she started it or not, can be declared dangerous. Fortunately, I don't have to go very far to get to where there are no other dogs around so she does still get her off-leash time.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

personally, I think she was in the wrong for having a dog who ignores her! it probably frightened her and that was the reason for her outburst, but, you *did* warn her, and you *did* have your dog with you...it was her dog who approached and in theory caused the problems.

no matter who's to blame though, there's never any need for being so insulting and rude, and in my opinion gives a good idea of what kind of owner she is.

x

I'd have to say the lady was 100% in the wrong. ALL off leash dogs must have perfect recall & if it runs off & causes problems then the owner of the off leash dog is to blame 100%. What if her dog ran into a yard where an agressive dog lives? whos at fault? the off leashed dog!

If you cannot control your dog keep it on a darn leash & I don't care how friendly it is.

I don't know HOW many times I've yelled at people for allowing their dog to run or charge towards me! My old dog wasn't dog agressive but if that dog jumpped on me, he would rip it off of me & shake it like a rag doll (not hurting the dog, just scaring the living hell out of it, slobbering all over it & then tossing it away & ignoring it if it left). Max knew I would get a little scared of a charging barking dog (not trotting) & thats when not so good things happened. Back home whoevers dog was off leash was at fault 100% no matter what happened. <-- thats the way it should be

In my opinion your dog isn't very aggressive at all. An agressive dog is unpredictable and would overcorrect an excited dog by attacking. Your dog snapped but did not injure. This is a proper command for "back off". Sure she's scared of other dogs and needs some working with, but I don't consider her aggressive. Normal people who don't know how to speak dog, like this lady, would blame the wrong dog for what happens. You need to calmly explain to people that your dog is performing a perfectly acceptable command and that their dogs need to be socialized more so that the dogs can learn to recognize signals from other dogs. You are in the right in this situation.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

What a peice of work that women was! I think that a dog aggressive dog CAN be off lead in an unfenced but supervised area.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Her dog shouldn't have been offleash if it doesn't come when called. Kya doesn't sound scary aggressive to me, just like she needs supervision, which you were doing. Some people.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I'll probably get bashed here but, sorry...I believe ALL dogs should be on a lead when out in public. Aggressive or not aggressive. It's the law in most states and is for the safety of children, adults and other animals.

I believe the woman was also at fault for not having her dog on a lead too.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    I'll probably get bashed here but, sorry...I believe ALL dogs should be on a lead when out in public. Aggressive or not aggressive. It's the law in most states and is for the safety of children, adults and other animals.

I believe the woman was also at fault for not having her dog on a lead too.
    I agree in public places,i live in the country and i let my dogs go but they are either in my fenced in yard or in the field out back my place,My RB Bandit was aggressive and i was so careful with him i always had him muzzled in all circumstances.I was so scared of him nipping someone now im not saying the dog should be destroyed but knowing the dogis aggressive the owner should be that much careful,when i had company i always took Bandit out to his pen so he was always away from people Bandit was good with family that is it he lunged at my neighbor once,that is when i was like OMG what is wrong come to find out the neighbor hit him on the head and scuffed the top of his head,
    So he had every right to feel the way he did but,that did not give me the right to say well let him bite him....I had to be the responsible one and say ok he is not to be around anybody,And i would still have him if he was not Killed on the road,
    All animals should have a chance aggressive or not but the owner should know what they are doing,and not take any chances or they will be the ones that winde up in trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese_Love
    What a peice of work that women was! I think that a dog aggressive dog CAN be off lead in an unfenced but supervised area.
    Supervised or not they should still not take a chance,now a days there is lawsuits against dogs that bite,is it really worth it?I think knowing that the dog is a agressive just to be more careful.I'm no saying dont walk the dog,they all deserve walks but if there not trustable they should be mussled my friend lost her Yorkie to a Rotti,And the Rotti was tempermental and off lead and no muzzle that owner got in lots of trouble*****I'm not saying Rotti's are bad,i have owned them but this one was and that was that *****You just have to be careful.

You just have to be careful.
    I think common sense plays a big part in the whole scenario. I ALSO think the reason why the woman didn't call the police is because she was just as much at fault and didn't want to get in trouble herself as well.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

And that is the Bottom Line

I think the women was in the wrong. You did the right thing, you got your dog back and as you said, the same thing would of ocurred whether your dog was offleash or not. My biggest pet peeve is dogs who don';t come back when called and are not controlled.

Sounds to me like you ran into a "C-R-A-Z-Y" person. I don't know. This is a tough one. Since you do know that your dog can be dog aggressive, you should probably never have her off lead, since a dog can run up to her very quickly before you may even have time to call her back. But from what you describe of the other lady, she's a piece of work. And a very rude individual to boot! In the future should you encounter another situation like this (it doesn't have to be dog related), be polite and explain yourself (as you attempted to do so) but you DO NOT have to offer any credentials or personal details. She is NOT the police and you owe her NO details other than your sincere apology. If she wants to call the police, tell her, "go ahead". Offer to lend her your cell phone. I find that 99.9 percent of rude bullies decline when their bluff is called - especially when she was equally wrong!