Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should there be an age limit

Should there be an age limit

Just curious to know what you think about there being an age limit for dog walkers. I've seem some very small children walking some very large dogs where I live and it scares the heck out of me!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

It depends on the dog - seriously. Our St. Bernard Bruni (and Freckles before her) loved little kids and was extremely good on a leash - my niece Jess could, at the age of four, walk the 150-pound dog, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    It depends on the dog - seriously. Our St. Bernard Bruni (and Freckles before her) loved little kids and was extremely good on a leash - my niece Jess could, at the age of four, walk the 150-pound dog, no problem.
    and get a ride home if she got tired
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

My old guy was the same way, a 2yr old was leading him in circles & he loved it, as he was VERY fond of kids, the smaller the better. He even knew how to cross the street, so there was no worries incase the kid & dog wondered off. He was also protective & smart about it, so there was no harm in it.

When my friend & I use to walk the guard dog (200p Rottie), he could have easly over powered us & went on a rampage. But he was a great walker. if he didn't like something he would lundge to the end of his chain & NOT a step further (we gave him a foot). He was really a wonderful dog, you just had to know the rules & commands, as he was a trained guard dog & he was GREAT at his work & kinda scary too. We were the only non-family members able to get near his owners car, open it & take him out for a walk.

His owner couldn't walk him as he though he was on duty & would go nuts (not good on a walk). So the owner showed us how to win him over & a few commands. The only bad thing that the Rottie did (by accident) was he jumpped up on me while playing & I fell & he fell on me & cracked several of my ribs, de-winded me & then wouldn't let anyone touch me while I was whining & squirming on the ground

Once on a walk this itty bitty super old lady really wanted to pet him. We said we don't think its a good idea, but Cezar had made up his own mind about the situation & wanted to see her. She grabbed his big old head & gave him some kisses & he was sooo gentle with her (it was like he knew she was harmeless & fragile).. dang I miss that dog (I'm assuming he's already passed away)

Depends on the dogs and the child.

I regularly let the neighbors three kids walk my dogs, one is 13, and the twins are 11. (they don΄t leave the block)

I believe there should be an age limit on just about everything in this life. I am sorry if others disagree, but there are more issues to consider besides if the individual is (physically) capable.

Of coursemost children (and even very small children) are capable of physically walking a dog. Any dog - as long as the dog cooperates. And if you believe the dog is cooperative, well trained and well behaved, there will most likely not be any issues. Except for when the unexpected occurs. The dog sees a cat and wants to run after it. He swallows bubble gum he found on the sidewalk and he's choking. A car veers off the road and hits him. Someone trys steal the dog. He suddenly goes into an epileptic fit. These are all unforseen possibilities that can and do occasionally happen. An older individual will be more responsible and capable of handling an emergency or even perhaps avoiding one because of their level of maturity.

An older walker will know to call authorities and emergency personnel and may likely have a cell phone at their disposal. They will also be better equipped to avoid potential preventable incidents.

And so in short, I say Yes... a good age for responsibly walking a dog might be between 8-10 for short local walks and maybe 12 and older for longer, out of sight excursions. It's not the dog that you are worried about... it's usually the walker. I myself wouldn't let a 2 year old cross the street alone, let alone with a dog leading the way. And yes, if they wandered off together, I would be CRAZY with concern and would have the entire neighborhood and the police searching for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBS DAD
    I myself wouldn't let a 2 year old cross the street alone, let alone with a dog leading the way. And yes, if they wandered off together, I would be CRAZY with concern and would have the entire neighborhood and the police searching for them.
    Thats not really what I ment. I should have added, they are in the yard, but if they snuck off while we blinked (we were on a ground deck, with a full view of the yard), the dog wouldn't cross the road, as you need a command (or me) to get his butt off the ground & he knows moving cars are bad & will stay clear. So if doo doo happened & they got out of the yard, they wouldn't get very far or get a chance to run across the street & get hit by a car.

I wouldn't let them walk down the street or anything, thats stupid! But going for a walk in the yard was harmless with him. He had no prey drive, no desire to even leave the yard without me (he never went out of eye sight as I was his #1 priority), didn't have to worry about someone trying to steal him or her, as 80p of angry dog (he was a lab, rottie & pitty mix, so he was thin, fast, smart & stupid strong) is something NO one wants to deal with. With him she was safe.

When my sister was 8yrs old & Max was 4 months old (I thought he was 6months old in other posts, but I was mistaken), 2 men wanted to pet him & he scared them off without over powering my sister. Hes been a smart dog since day 1.

Thats why we allowed a 2yr old to walk him around.

Of coursemost children (and even very small children) are capable of physically walking a dog. Any dog - as long as the dog cooperates. And if you believe the dog is cooperative, well trained and well behaved, there will most likely not be any issues. Except for when the unexpected occurs. The dog sees a cat and wants to run after it. He swallows bubble gum he found on the sidewalk and he's choking. A car veers off the road and hits him. Someone trys steal the dog. He suddenly goes into an epileptic fit. These are all unforseen possibilities that can and do occasionally happen. An older individual will be more responsible and capable of handling an emergency or even perhaps avoiding one because of their level of maturity.

And so in short, I say Yes... a good age for responsibly walking a dog might be between 8-10 for short local walks and maybe 12 and older for longer, out of sight excursions. It's not the dog that you are worried about... it's usually the walker. I myself wouldn't let a 2 year old cross the street alone, let alone with a dog leading the way. And yes, if they wandered off together, I would be CRAZY with concern and would have the entire neighborhood and the police searching for them.
    Well said Bob's Dad, I agree 100%. I've walked my neighbours dog every now and again for three years, but when I was eleven, I always went with at least one other friend. Now I'm older and always have my mobile with me in case of an emergency it's OK for me to take Bonnie out by myself.

Unfortunately, there are so many things that can happen to a little kid whilst out alone, even with a dog. You never know who's walking the streets. And of course everything you mentioned about the dog suddenly becoming ill or being hit by a car.

Every day when I come home from school, there's always a little girl who can't be more than 5 that rides on her barbie bike to the newsagents and co-op to do her mum's daily grocery shopping. Her mum must be a serious risk taker to let her cross a main road with cars going at about 40mph to get the bread and milk

Zimbabwe 07/13

I totally figured I was misreading you and "just not getting" your true meaning. Sounds much better (and as I expected) now. Sorry if I sounded like I was being critical - I was just popping off. Sounds like Max was a very smart and "great dog" to have around. Yes, in a yard and with supervision I can see how you would be very secure with an incredible guy like Max!!!

I totally figured I was misreading you and "just not getting" your true meaning. Sounds much better (and as I expected) now. Sorry if I sounded like I was being critical - I was just popping off. Sounds like Max was a very smart and "great dog" to have around. Yes, in a yard and with supervision I can see how you would be very secure with an incredible guy like Max!!!

Thanks

I'm not all that great in expressing my thoughts or whole thoughts, hehe
    Thats why I assumed others were reading it differently.

Max was too good of a dog & I miss him dearly

Actually...

Come to think of it...

I think there should be an age limit on age!!!

I believe there should be an age limit on just about everything in this life. I am sorry if others disagree, but there are more issues to consider besides if the individual is (physically) capable.

An older walker will know to call authorities and emergency personnel and may likely have a cell phone at their disposal. They will also be better equipped to avoid potential preventable incidents.

I agree with you 100%.

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

If you are referring to a government imposed age limit, NO!

The government is already involved in far, far too many facets of life. Parents should be responsible for their children, and know what they are capable of. For that matter, people should be held accounatble for their own actions, which sadly is not the case in many situations.

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    I think it depends on the dog and the child.
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

In the example I mentioned, of course, my niece wasn't walking the dog very far, or without parental supervision. We wouldn't have let that happen. She was walking the dog in the neighborhood where we grew up. Everyone in the neighborhood knew the dog, and the dog knew everyone. Likewise the people.

Do I think just any chosen-at-random 4-year-old should be allowed to walk any dog anywhere? Of course not!

Common sense, folks!