Thread: Peeing in the House

Peeing in the House

Now I know Jamie is house trained, has been for.. well I can't say a year because she IS a year but a good portion of six months now without having one accident.

Here lately however she has been having up to four accidents in the house a day. Some will be within thirty minutes of being taken outside and she potties then too.

I'll try my best to give you a scenario of the situation....

Our roommate has a chihuahua who is unneutered and likes marking E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G in the house. We have used nature's miracle though and steam cleaned the carpets and furniture and everything was going good. Now Jamie is not one to mark in retaliation against another dog who is marking (but yes I know females mark) so I really don't believe that's what it is. Especially the week she had the most accidents was when he was not even here (they went out of town).

She does NOT have an accident at night, even if we sleep in late and she hasn't been outside in ten hours, she does not have accidents at night at all (but when we wake up she has to be let out IMMEDIATELY or she will have one).

Two of the accidents was after her dad and our roommate came home, so I'm just assuming that's from excitement (and females have the tendacy to dribble anyway especially when they get excited) but this is not a little dribble, this is a big potty mess like she was not let outside in six hours (when in reality she was let out not even twenty minutes prior to having the accident!).

I don't know if she is sick, or is just being bad. She won't have accidents if we leave, but rather when we are home.

Is this a training issue that I need to correct??

This is just so strange that its been happening only lately.

facebook

I say to get a urine sample to your vet to check for a UTI. Or even her in for an exam, she may be getting a weak bladder.

The way you are describing though seems like it is eaither caused by marking as she can & does hold it all night long.

Good luck & keep us posted please.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

But when females mark, do they only go a little or empty their whole bladder? Because she empties her bladder, even if I take her out afterwards she won't go.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    But when females mark, do they only go a little or empty their whole bladder? Because she empties her bladder, even if I take her out afterwards she won't go.

I thihnk it depends, Raustyk marks a lot, thank god not in the house anymore, but sometimes she will leave a mighty big puddle which probably empties her baldder, other times just a dribble. I think it depends on how much she has to go, how much a threat she thinks is posed, the location, etc....

I strongly suggest starting at the vets then going from there.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

A trip to the vet was already in order, now I just have to find the time to do it (I work straight through until Sunday). I could take her before or after work though it just depends on the driving situation

facebook

You may want to take her to the vet and get her blood sugar tested. My friend's dog started having "accidents" and he tested out having diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by labmomma
    You may want to take her to the vet and get her blood sugar tested. My friend's dog started having "accidents" and he tested out having diabetes.
    Thats a good idea, many other illnesses may cause excessive urination too, including Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism), which is generally more common in older dogs but can certainly occur in dogs any age, Hyperthyroidism, Hypercalcemia (high level of calcium in the blood) & Hypokalemia (low level of potassium in the blood) as well as the more obvious like liver & kidney failure as well as other lier & kidney issues.

Diets high in salt may be the cause of excessive drinking which will result in more frequent urination too.

oops, ment to ask how is she doing lately?

Well when I went to make the appointment, I realized she wasn't having any accidents at all. The only accident she had was when she was whining to go outside and so we went to get our shoes and the leashes and she had an accident within that time. Otherwise none at all! Maybe she just wasn't feeling too well but she seems fine now. I'm going to be bringing both to the vet just in case (its time for their yearly checkup anyway).

facebook