Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I deleted my thread on Pit Bulls

Why I deleted my thread on Pit Bulls

I deleted my thread because I thought it was causing a problem. But, I'd like to say that I am sorry. I am not sure if Buddy has any pit bull in him or not, he was a stray, I was just guessing. And I said I was wrong about pit bulls, I said once they were scary and that was my opinion and I did not like it when you guys were lecturing me about it. I want you all to know now I understand pit bulls and they are no different than other breeds. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I know all of you wanted an explanation. There it is and I sure do hope you guys understand. Everyone makes mistakes, and that was one of the ones I made.

I sure do hope you all understand and don't hate me.

No one hates you! We were all just kind of confused. It's ok, don't feel bad.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I never said I hate them. I said they were scary, a while ago. When you hear all this vicious pit bull stuff it kind of sinks in. I'm glad you understand though.

We just thought it was confusing because your dogs are pit mixes. (Are all three of them Pittie x or just one? )
    Anyways, it's okay

Thank you. Georgia and Alaska are pure Boxers. Buddy is a pit mix... we think

Bump so everyone can see...

I hope I didn't sound mean (I really don't think I did, nor was I trying to) when I posted about the pitty I live with & the so called family breeds. I wasn't able to keep updated with the thread as I only have the net at work.

my ex HATED pit bulls, just because of the rap they had. He went on & on on how they should all be killed as they are worse then a wild animal, blah blah blah! I always fought his argument with, well Max was part Pit bull & you seemed to REALLY like him, esp when he became ill (he layed on the floor with Max & gave him a kiss). He always argued well Max was part Lab thats why he was so nice (BS answer hehe)..

Now I live with a Pit Bull & I senced that Rob didn't like that idea at all. Well he got to see Cyrus & realized that he didn't charge the door, didn't snarl or snap. He barked a few times, I patted him through the door & he went upstairs & never heard another peep from him. Thats went Rob said, wow, he looks friendly! I said duh, pit bulls are nothing but love bugs

It just takes time for people to realize that the media blows things WAY out of porportion & the pit bulls that attack, had issues (not trained, or trained for fighting) & that ANY breed can attack & kill a human. a small dog could kill a baby as there isn't much blood in a babies body.

To make you feel a bit better, I personally do not like small breeds. I'll pet them or care for one, but I really don't like them. I like any dog over 50-60 pounds (80 prefered), as they are harder to break, easier to cuddle with, they can keep up with me & they don't yap, GAAAH I hate yappers.. But that my personal opinion on smaller breeds, even tho I think smaller breeds are cute too (like my grandma's Tea Cut Poodle, Buttons, hes a cute, sweet dog, but there is no way I could live with him or spend too much time with him)

Quote Originally Posted by king2005
    To make you feel a bit better, I personally do not like small breeds. I'll pet them or care for one, but I really don't like them. I like any dog over 50-60 pounds (80 prefered), as they are harder to break, easier to cuddle with, they can keep up with me & they don't yap, GAAAH I hate yappers.. But that my personal opinion on smaller breeds, even tho I think smaller breeds are cute too (like my grandma's Tea Cut Poodle, Buttons, hes a cute, sweet dog, but there is no way I could live with him or spend too much time with him)
    Lots of small dogs ARE NOT yappers. Lots of people say they are... only because they haven't spent time with them. But I understand that's your opinion.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I used to run a foster for dogs and i was bit many times by smaller dogs than big,BUT!!! the thing with that is they were away from home in a place that they were not sure of..and nervous.ANd even after i never had anything against small dogs but some can be nippy

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    I used to run a foster for dogs and i was bit many times by smaller dogs than big,BUT!!! the thing with that is they were away from home in a place that they were not sure of..and nervous.ANd even after i never had anything against small dogs but some can be nippy
    Yeah, I've been bit by Molli quite a few times, acctually. Doesn't hurt alot though. I think it's because they are so much smaller then us and so they are more nervous when they get picked up and stuff. Just a guess, though. Molli loves being picked up... but not all small dogs.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

You are certinaly not the only person to be influenced by the media. I was lucky enough to grow up with pitties hence my love and admiration for them. The media plays a huge roll in our lives, even though sometimes I feel like it really shouldn't. Most people don't bother to educate themselves and learn the facts, and I'm impressed and glad that you did.

I'll say one thing.....pit bulls are NOT just like every other dog. At least not in my opinion. The breed has certain characteristics and limitations. Personally, I'm not fond of pit bulls at dog parks. These dogs have been bred for hundreds of years to fight other animals and dogs. Does that make them mean? Absolutley not. It just means that dog aggression and animal aggression is a common and a frequently seen trait.

Given this information, they do have their limitations. And frankly if a dog gets in a pit bull's face chances are the pit bull is not going to back down. Even if he didn't start the fight, he'll sure enough finish it and then the pit bull gets blamed. We've all seen the headlines. Taking a pit bull into a highly charged dog filled atmosphere and being surprised when he gets into it with another dog is like throwing a ball for a lab and being surprised when he brings it back.

Pit bulls require more common sense to manage and lots of breed understanding. I myself manage a household of four male bullies. Is it always easy? No! lol But it's totally doable and I don't mind doing it. Are pit bulls for everyone? Absolutely not.

One of the most damaging things I've been hearing lately is that by raising pit bulls with other dogs from a puppy you can 'train out' dog aggression. This is very untrue. Typically if a pit bull doesn't show any dog aggression by the age of two, he won't. Not always, but most of the time. You can do some great obedience and training to properly manage dog aggression but there is no way to train it out.

Ok, I think I've rambled enough. If you have any questions regarding proper pit bull temperment, or management or any question at all please feel free to ask. I'm always willing to gab about my favorite subject......bullies!

~Kat

Kat,

Very well said!! I own a pit bull and a pit mix, both females. So far everything is going great with them. But I will never, ever leave the three of my dogs alone because "never trust a pit not to fight" It is my responsibility to keep the three of them safe. I agree with you about the dog parks its better to be safe than sorry.

I'm lucky, where we live there is tons of wide open space so we can take the fur kids to run off leash. I have to say thank you so much for bing there for the pit bulls they need more people like you.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Geat posts, both of you. It's great to have experienced pittie owners on here because they give such great info about the breed! I personally really like pit bulls, but would never own one because I am not good with really dominent breeds in the first place. I would really like to spend time with one, one day. Such a great and beautiful breed.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Lots of small dogs ARE NOT yappers. Lots of people say they are... only because they haven't spent time with them. But I understand that's your opinion.
    I didn't call them yappers, I said yap.

I haven't met a small dog that doesn't Yap. Larger dogs WOOF, not yap.

yap = itty bitty bark, annoying to me
    WOOF = deep bark, not annoying to me
    yappers = non-stop yapping, annoying to me
    Barkers = non-stop barking, annoying to me