Thread: It just wont stop barking!

It just wont stop barking!

I got a new dachshund puppy about two days ago, and whenever we put it to sleep in its new cage, it just WON"T STOP WHINING. The cage is the right size and eveything, not too big, just about big enough to lie down. I know that's really typical but its not like a soft whine, it's loud, obnoxious, and sounds like a cat. So far, I've ignored it because I know taking it out when it's whining will just teach it that when it doesn't want to be there, it will just keep whining. Please give me any advice you may have

Its only been two days, let the pup adjust. A doxie is a hound also, if you'd done any homework you'd find out that barking and howling is what they do best.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

He's lonely. Needs something to snuggle with.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I guess your right about giving her time to adjust, but that whine is terrible. I have had two other dachshund before, and I currently have two, so I know barking is typical, but I've never seen anything like this whining. One question though, Am I doing he right thing by not giving her attention when she whines?

Yes, you are doing the right thing. Give this pup a full week to adjust.
    Do not let the pup see you if you can and ,don't talk the the dog.I have
    hear that placing the crate in the same room when you sleep sometimes
    helps.Good luck with this.

p.s. I assume you've already had it's initial Vet check.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Earplugs if you have to. Some Dachshunds take the "hund" part more seriously than others. By ignoring the whining, you are doing the right thing to keep her from becoming a "tiny tyrant" like some dachsies become. Does she have a stuffed animal to snuggle with? Might help ...

You could always try the old hot water bottle and ticking clock trick (supposedly makes them feel like they're laying beside a warm body and a heartbeat). I've never tried it myself; we just let them cry until they went to sleep and tried to establish a routine with them from day one in which we instigated all contact and did not let the puppy dictate when to get attention. It was really hard for about 1-2 weeks until Belle adjusted to life without littermates. Maggie was older when we adopted her (6 months, roughly) and she still whines and howls sometimes when she gets lonely at night...wish I knew her whole history.

You should expect a few sleepless night with a puppy! Its part of the whole experience, Have you tried wrapping up a clock in a blanket to imitate the mum's heartbeat? also is the dog is a warm place to sleep? maybe getting one of those heated pads for puppies, You just need to sit it out and let him sort himself out