Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track bunnies...

Track bunnies...

I had a track meet last night and I did horrible. I stratched 3 times cuz I didn't throw the disc between the lines and when I didn't I threw 49 feet and some inches. But I did pretty good in shot, I got an 18 19 and 20 feet, I didn't want to hear my last one cuz I did really bad. But I felt really horrible, when I came home Mom didn't let the rabbits out AGAIN. So I spent the night with them AGAIN. They were my medicine last night. They would come up to me and give me bunny kisses because they knew I was sad. Grey actually laid down beside me....

Bunnies Know....

Yeah, I think bunnies know when you are feeling down or ill. Pets ARE the best medicine.

I'm sorry you felt you didn't do well last night. I think just by competing you proved that you have determination, strength of character, and stick-to-it-tiveness that most people don't seem to have much of anymore. You should be proud of yourself.....it would have been so much easier to stay home or drop out and you didn't do that. I think you deserve a great big CONGRATULATIONS!
    And remember, there's always next time.

Our pets do wonders for us when we're disappointed or hurting. I'm so glad your bunnies were your "medicine" last night. And good luck in your next meet!

My cats always know when I'm sad, especially Tatty, he seems to be intune with emotions.

Thanks again guys.....I'm sure I'll do MUCH better at another meet.

A couple of bunny questions...

Bunnicula05 - sorry to hear you were so sad but glad to hear your bunnie cheered you up and kept you company!

I have been thinking about adopting a couple of bunnies from the shelter. They have two mostly black ones, rather small, in the same cage so I can only assume they are either the same sex or been neutered etc. Are bunnies easy to take care of? I have two cats and don't have to do much beyond play with them, feed them, and clean the litter. I have a huge screened in porch and would probably keep them confined to the porch for awhile. There are no wires out there and they would be sheltered from the rain, wind, sun etc. to a great degree.

Can you leave bunnies for a couple of days? Or do you have to feed them each day? I sometimes don't replenish my cat's dry food for a day or two.

Just curious. Thanks for the info - if and when!

SAS

Well, in my mind, bunnies are just like cats. You got to play with them, feed them, and of course, clean the litter box. (Yes bunnies learn to use the litter box). I think bunnies could go for a few days without their food being replenished, I would recommend a big feeder you put on the inside of their cage. You refill it from the top and the pellets comes out at the bottom and if you get a big enough one, ones that I've seen anway, say they can go up to 5 days. But that depends on how much the buns eat. They also need fresh vegetables every day. And lots of timothy hay to help their digestive tract. Only feed bunnies alfa products if they are under a year old. Older bunnies don't need as much calcium as younger bunnies. And even if one of them are nuetered or spayed, get the other one neutered or spayed because bunnies can develop uterine and testicular cancers, and plus it helps with behavior problems, such as accessive digging and chewing. Make sure you have enough toys and chew things so your bunnies don't get bored. A great site to check out is www.rabbits.org

Re: A couple of bunny questions...

Originally posted by sasvermont

Can you leave bunnies for a couple of days? Or do you have to feed them each day? I sometimes don't replenish my cat's dry food for a day or two.
    If you do not have the time to feed your buns at least 2/3 times each day, don't even think about getting any. I think they are more of a commitment than cats.

Please think very carefully as they take up room and LOTS OF YOUR TIME.

Rabbits can be left for a couple of days BUT I wouldn't personally, as they wouldn't eat. A Rabbits digestive system has to be kept going so they need to be constantly feed with hay etc.

Please find out more about them first before making a decission like this.

I Agree

i agree with Heather. There is NO WAY a bunny should go without fresh veggies 2 or 3 times a day. Pellets are bad for their digestive system and should be avoided or kept to 2-3 Tablespoons per 5 lbs of bunny. They need unlimited timothy hay.
    If you can't devote the time to them I would say you should not get them. I work at a bunny sanctuary and while I want to say, take them, give them a good and loving home, if you don't have the time to play with them and feed them, don't do it.
    Bunnies are charming and delightful companions. The more they interact with a human caregiver the cuter, more affectionate, and more comedic they become. They are definitely more work than a cat.

uh oh...I think I am messing up again !! I only feed the kids once a day. I feed them at night before I go to bed. They get a big bowl of veggies and a sccop of pellets. When I get home from work I may give them a treat of an apple, or pear, or something like that. And they do have unlimited hay in 3 litterboxes. Tell me I am not a bad mommy!! You see how "plump" my kids are. I thought they ate too much. HELP !!

I think you're fine...cuz I just looked at their most recent pics and they are plump little cherubs!!!

Seriously, the bunny folks I know feed fresh veggies 2 times a day and we do that at the sanctuary as well where the buns have unlimited hay, grass and dandelions. The hay, as you know, is the most important so I would say don't worry about how you are feeding them , you are obviously doing something right. I'm stumped as to why they are that "statuesque!"...they aren't getting Cherrios or bread are they?

The more I think about it, it's probably the pellets that are putting on the weight....
    When my Velvet went down to 4.8 lbs from 6.1, I started him on the pellets and now he's a 6.7lb. I'm cutting the pellets back to every other day.

By the way, I taught that bunny basic class last Thursday for the sanctuary and it went very well. We had 26-30 people, all with their own bunny stories, it was GREAT!!! It went over so well we'll probably do it again in mid summer.

They don't eat Cheerios or bread. They get maybe a 1/2 cup of pellets. And most of them end up on the floor because they like to play with them more than eat them. They do get the store treats once in a while. They are just "healty". That's what the vet said when I took them to get their nails clipped. She was pleased at how "healthy" they were. I asked were they too big...weighing in at 10lbs and 8 1/2 lbs. She said no and they were still growing. They are getting lazy. They don't even try to impress me with tricks anymore...they just want what they want when they want it and will nudge your feet or nibble to get your attention. MY BABIES !! Love them dearly. Whish you were here to pet sit. I am so concerned about leaving them for 2 weeks.

HHHhhhhhmmmmm.....

Well, the fruit and the pet store treats together with the pellets might do the weight gain thing.
    Are the store treats alfalfa based? Most are,so we (I) do not give any of the store treats...just a small piece (1/6-1/8th of an apple (depending on the size) for example) them the fruit once or twice a week several days apart.

That's because if mine get fruit every day, they get runny poop.

They are just so darn cute I want to spoilt them and give them treats but I found it backfires ()
    !!!

Two weeks?

When is that trip again? I'm trying to think of other alternatives... I know how unsettling it is to go and leave the bunnies in someone else's care. No matter who it is, they never do as good a job as YOU would!!!!

If push comes to shove there's always the vet, which is very expensive I know but at least they would be getting top of the line care. Have you tried the pet supply stores...most have bulletin boards with pet sitter ads. Or do you have friends who use a pet sitter? and you could get a referral... Sometimes pet sitters will advertise in the newspapers... Is there a sanctuary who might do pet sitting in your area? Do you have a rabbit owning friend you could reciprocate bun sitting with? Actually, that would be the 2nd best way to go....

I don't know what else to suggest... I would take them in a heart beat for you. Now if we had access to a private plane...!!! (that's not so outrageous...our sanctuary got 2 dutch buns from Rhode Island who came in by private plane last month!!!!!) I'll keep thinking.....