Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Dogs

Cool pictures. I especially love the picture of Ginger running towards the camera, mouth open with a smile and her ears flying in the wind.

Tons of hunting dogs where I live. Great looking dogs and very obedient. Thanks for the info.

I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Yeah Elizabeth,

I like that shot too!!! Ironically, I have a lot of shots of her like that. When she gets running, hers ears just seem to be like propellors. LOL!!!

P.S. My daughter's name is Elizabeth Anne!!!

[/QUOTE]P.S. My daughter's name is Elizabeth Anne!!![/QUOTE]

Cool.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Tito is a Podenco mix, which are used to hunting rabbits, he is DEFO a sight hound!

Hi Jackie

I didn't think I had ever heard of a Podenco. But I checked a breed info site and sure enough, there it was. I guess they call it a Ibizan Hound at the AKC but also list as other names, the Podenco Ibicenco or Ca Eivessenc. It is an interesting looking dog - almost looks a little like a Whippet. I can definitely see it in your dog Tito. Thanks for your response!!!

Just curious. Do you have this picture in high resolution. I love this shot. You should enter it in a contest!!!

What a pretty girl Ginger is! That is VERY interesting. Sassy killed a sparrow once. I didn't see it but she carried it inside in her mouth lol.

I just checked a breed info site and it said malteses are were bred with miniature spaniel and poodle blood. Does this mean they were hunting dogs??

Technically YES... but not since well before Christ - so I am pretty sure that instinct has long since been bred out of them. They are now a toy, comfort dog and have been for most of their existence. If you are interested in a more elaborate history (versus generic breed info) you might like to explore this site: http://www.annasheavenlymaltese.com/...e_history.html I found it to be very interesting.

Other sites also question the dogs origin, suggesting that they originated in Europe from a Spitz-like breed and were only later taken to the island of Malta and used as barter to trade with the Asian and Middle East travelers. After a period of time, travelers became accustomed to seeing this exotic and interesting little white dog in Malta and therfor assumed it indigenous to the Island and began to refer to it as a "Maltese"!!!

Just an excerpt:
    As the Maltese was developed using miniature spaniel and poodle blood, and was primarily bred as a hunting dog, they were much larger in size than their present-day counterpart. When the smaller-sized Maltese began to gain ground in popularity, early breeders would often confine their breeding stock in pens too small for them to even turn around, so as to promote a smaller progeny.

I knew about the Spitz-breed and Malta thing. Thank you for your help!