Thread: American Airlines Sued Over Dead Dog

American Airlines Sued Over Dead Dog

This is so sad. I wouldn't fly with my pets unless they were sitting in the seat next to me (belted in of course).

SAN FRANCISCO - A pet owner sued American Airlines on Wednesday after his English bulldog died following a cross-country flight.

Terrence Ing, 29, claims airline employees refused to provide a veterinarian and other care after the dog became sick. He is seeking unspecified damages.

Tim Smith, a spokesman for American Airlines, a unit of AMR Corp., declined to comment on the allegations but defended the company's pet transport practices.

According to the suit, Ing flew 2-year-old Willie from New York to San Francisco on Aug. 2. When Ing went to retrieve him, the dog did not come when he was called, said Ing's attorney, Corey Evans.

Employees said a veterinarian would arrive in five minutes, but one was never called, the suit alleges.

Workers then took Willie to a hangar off limits to Ing, who did not see the dog for another five hours, the suit says. By then the dog was dead.

It was unclear why Willie died, Evans said. Animal paramedics said the dog may have survived had employees provided adequate care, the suit said.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

This is sad...it's also too bad that there's not more info here to tell us whether it was the owner's neglect in preparing the dog for the flight or the airline's in transporting the dog.

If I'm going across the country with my dogs, I'll just drive, I think.

I found this report on Google; the owner did not disclose the results of the autopsy. I wonder if the case was dropped.

As flying is said to be safer than driving, I would take my cats on an aircraft. On http://www.i-pets.com/rpet4.html: "A poll taken by the Travel Industry Association in 2001 showed that about 29 million Americans traveled with their pets in the previous three years." And that's WITH their hoomins - not in a carrier in the usual compartment.

There was another report on Google of a small dog who had died due to poor lung capacity and complications of obesity. Two other dogs in the same compartment were fine. One never knows...I guess making sure your pet is healthy enough to fly is a good idea. And not feeding them before the flight.

Date and Time of the Incident
    06AUG05 at 1205CDT

Description of the Animal, Including Name
    Brown and White English Bulldog, 2 y/o, 64L with the name of 'Willie'

Narrative Description of Incident
    Two dogs arrived off flight from JFK. One dog died shortly after arrival in SFO. Kennel had vomit on floor area and dog was observed to be breathing shallowly. Animal died shortly thereafter.

Narrative Description of Cause of the Incident
    Dog was sent for an autopsy. Cause of death could not be determined as customer will not share the results with American Airlines.

Narrative Description of any Corrective Action Taken in Response to Incident
    None, as the cause of death could not be determined, and the investigation revealed all policies and procedures were followed.

Flying may be safer than driving, but I feel like I have control of the situation when I'm driving more than when I'm flying. It's silly in view of the actual stitistics, I know