Thread: The dogs got fixed... question

The dogs got fixed... question

We picked up the dogs at the vet. They told me to watch Molli because she licks herself. Well, when we got home Sam is the one who licks. He keeps trying and trying and we tell him no and move his head. He got angry and growled and then tryed to bite. How do we stop him?? We gave him some pain pills to see if it works. Molli is being an angel and sleeping right now.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Get an elizabethan collar (e-collar, or cone) for them to wear. Charlie had to wear one. He hated it, but it helped because he could not chew on the incision.

Get a clear one so they can see better, not a frosted or opaque one.

facebook

3. I was going to suggest the samething.
    good luck with them.

Thanks. My mom just left to go get one.

Should we keep it on when he goes to bed? I'm sure that's when he'll lick the stitches.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Cracker didn't like the E-collar so I put superman boys breifs on him and cut out a hole for the tail and the front so he could pee without a problem. Kept him from licking and worked great, without having the collar.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Thanks. My mom just left to go get one.

Should we keep it on when he goes to bed? I'm sure that's when he'll lick the stitches.

It should be fine when he sleeps. When Maggie had a nasty sore on her leg, we kept it on all the time except when we were watching her outside and to eat and drink, although she could eat and drink with it on.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Quote Originally Posted by animal_rescue
    It should be fine when he sleeps. When Maggie had a nasty sore on her leg, we kept it on all the time except when we were watching her outside and to eat and drink, although she could eat and drink with it on.
    We keep it on when he's outside. He won't pee. He just stands there. Should I take it off when he goes outside? That's alot of hastle though, to take it off and put it back on every time he has to go potty. I think it's too big for him to eat with.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    Cracker didn't like the E-collar so I put superman boys breifs on him and cut out a hole for the tail and the front so he could pee without a problem. Kept him from licking and worked great, without having the collar.
    Thats a good idea! We don't have any boys breifs though.

One more question... How much should I feed them tomorrow? The vet told me not to feed them as much but she wasn't very specific. Sam usually gets 3/4 C in the morning and at night. Molli gets 1/2 in the morning and 1/4 C at night. Any ideas?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I would probably feed half just for tomorrow, then go back to regular size portions.

facebook

I'm glad to hear that the surgeries were a sucess!

Yes you can take the collar off when you are there to supervise, potty time, eating, etc...

It's too late now as you already have your collar but this may help someone in the future, they now offer more styles of e-collars, some are much mroe comfortable than the older e-style collar.
    soft e-collar
    bite not collar

Raustyk had to wear one when she had her first cruciate repaired and boy did she hate it, but it was much better than her ruining the incision which could cause a lot more damage than good.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I'm glad to hear that the surgeries were a sucess!

Yes you can take the collar off when you are there to supervise, potty time, eating, etc...

It's too late now as you already have your collar but this may help someone in the future, they now offer more styles of e-collars, some are much mroe comfortable than the older e-style collar.
    soft e-collar
    bite not collar

Raustyk had to wear one when she had her first cruciate repaired and boy did she hate it, but it was much better than her ruining the incision which could cause a lot more damage than good.
    Wow, thanks for those. I've seen the soft ecollar before but didn't really look into it a whole lot. Charlie absolutely H-A-T-E-D his plastic e-collar. He thrashed around all night when he had it on. If I ever have to get one again I will definitely look into one of those!

facebook

Thanks everyone. Thanks lv4dogs, next time I will use one of those! Sam hated his collar and wouldn't even move yesterday. Now today he thrashes around and cries and runs all over the place because he is so frightened of it. I feel awful for him. They both are completly back to normal, runnign around like nuts, it is hard to get Molli to calm down... especcially when Sam has those spaz attacks! They are eating and drinking good. I was trying to put Molli's medicine on some cheese and the stuff woulden't come out so I pushed it harder and it went all over! My mom is going to POed when she finds out. lol

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*