Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The cats and I may soon be in the dog house

The cats and I may soon be in the dog house

I just got new bedroom furniture last Tuesday and today I discovered four scratches on the top of my night stand just right to be claws from a cat paw. I've already touched it up with a stain pen (not too well) and I'm crossing my fingers that Richard doesn't notice. He will be so mad at me and the cats. They've have really been scratching up my dining room table which was an expensive purchase for us and he's ready to skin me and the cats over that now if they start messing up the bedroom furniture it will be heck to pay.

Any suggestions as to how to stop it? I'm looking into ordering table pads for the dining table (even though bad damage has already happened) but I don't know what to do about the bedroom. The way it is set up they can go from the bed to my nightstand to my dresser but short legged Scout and Rumor struggle between the nightstand and dresser that is probably how that happened. WAHHH!

Also, I'm looking for a new comforter set but now I'm terrified the cats will ruin it too. I'm getting depressed.

I keep all the cats paws trimmed already and keeping them out of the room isn't really possible either. Help!

From Decker with Love

Thats One Reason That I Have Never Had Expensive Furniture,as I Would Be Angry If The Cats Damaged Something Expensive.
    The Only Expensive Thing That Jjj3 Broke Was A Vcr,an Old One And A Nice Collectors Cat Plate.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Check our computer desk out, and it wasn't cheap! Maybe keeping them trimmed as short as possible? Thank goodness Kevin nor I care or we'd be divorced by now!

Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

That reminds me of a story when my dear Boo was still alive. I had just spent a couple grand on a new entertainment center, nightstand and armoire. It had been delivered fairly early in the morning and I hadn't had a chance to take my dog Bandit out for his morning walk, so I had to make him wait until after they delivery guys were done. So they leave, I take Bandit out, come back in and Boo had tried to jump to the top of the new entertainment center - and couldn't jump high enough. There were (and still are - I still have it) two perfect claw marks on the front of it. I had had this new stuff for 15 minutes - tops - and it was already scratched.

I don't know what to tell you - I know how good it feels to have nice stuff, but when you have pets that can often be compromised - they just don't understand the concept of nice stuff. Just try and remember that they don't ever wreck your stuff on purpose, and they are only doing what comes naturally to them.

Quote Originally Posted by boscibo
    Just try and remember that they don't ever wreck your stuff on purpose, and they are only doing what comes naturally to them.
    I know that and so does Richard but it doesn't always help him to stay calm about it. I was upset when I first saw the scratches but then I kicked into prevention mode which is how I normally am. I know scratches and marks will happen but I was just really hoping to have the furniture a little longer than 6 days before it did. I guess I'm luckier than you though, 15 minutes - wow!

K&L - that desk looks similar to one I have but you win the prize, LOL!

I guess I'm going to have to stand guard with a water bottle to spray whenever they get on it. It worked for the kitchen counter tops so maybe it will work on the new furniture.

I'm still open for suggestions.

From Decker with Love

2 words...SOFT PAWS!

(Good luck getting them to allow it! )

I think that is why I have always preferred pre-owned stuff #1, beacuse I have always had cats and #2 because I like to change things a lot. #3 I have to have a good firm place to sit, once I start sinking into them, I want to get something that is firm again.

I did buy my first brand new sofa when I moved in here but I am already sinking into it after only 4 years so I will be looking around again before it messes up my back.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

You could decorate entirely with "distressed" furniture. I've seen decorating shows where they take brand-new furniture, then hammer dents into it and scratch it with nails to make it look old. The cats are just helping you to be trendy!

Quote Originally Posted by CatsinDenver
    You could decorate entirely with "distressed" furniture. I've seen decorating shows where they take brand-new furniture, then hammer dents into it and scratch it with nails to make it look old. The cats are just helping you to be trendy!
    LOL! I'll have to try that angle with Richard.

From Decker with Love

If you seriously want to keep them OFF get "Scat mats".

I use old towels for the gang to sit on - two on the bed, one on the dryer, one on Joxer's favorite chair, two on the dresser - mainly to catch the fur, but it might help with scratches also.

These are not the droids you were looking for

I don't have problems with the cats scratching things, but the tags(plastic) on their collars can do some nasty stuff. I have pretty pillowcases on the dresser and night stands. Unless they can get the pillowcases off(and there are lamps and things on them), and they cannot, so far, the wood is scratch free!!! Good Luck!!
    Nine is Fine!!

The "Distressed Furniture Look" - living with cats

Almost all cats leave little scratches on furniture, especially cats that leap on to tops of things. I have found that there is a furniture repair liquid called Old English - comes in all different colors. Not all stores carry it, but it can be found. I think Walmarts carry it. Anywho, it covers much better than those nasty pens and what it does is stain the gouge mark.

Right now one of my cats is digging in the closet, on top of a dresser stored in there. It already has scratches on it and someday when it comes out of the closet, I will touch it up with the Old English repair.

I have not tried softpaws. Table covers (pads) help lots for the table top...but other than having sheepskins on leather chairs....ahemmmm, all other surfaces are at risk...in my house.

Scratches happen. ... I just now saw Cats in Denver's post about distressed furniture. Maybe I could rent out my cats, to distress furniture for other folks.

I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont
    I have found that there is a furniture repair liquid called Old English - comes in all different colors. Not all stores carry it, but it can be found. I think Walmarts carry it. Anywho, it covers much better than those nasty pens and what it does is stain the gouge mark.
    OMG, I forgot all about that stuff! My parents owned an appliance and electronics store and my dad always had that stuff around to touch up any scratches on those old console tv cabinets and stereos. People would call him to fix their tv and also ask touch up their scratches. If his memory was better he probably would have told me to use that. Thanks!

From Decker with Love

I keep a blanket on top of the dresser and a towel on the nightstand.

To hide the scratch marks on the nightstand keep it covert up with a heavy fabric doily.
    Most likely Richard will never find out, since the scratches are on your nightstand, unless he is doing the dusting. LOL!

K & L, after seeing your desk I’m beginning to think my cats are angels.

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont
    I have found that there is a furniture repair liquid called Old English - comes in all different colors.
    I was just going to suggest this myself, but Sas beat me to it.
    I hope you are able to find it Lori. If Rumor gives you too much of a problem, you could always ship her to me ya know.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010