Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: cremation or burial?

cremation or burial?

when your dog(s) die are you going to cremation or bury them?

i HATE thinking about my babies passing on, but it will happen sometime and i want to be prepared. i'm going to cremate Gracie so she can be with me forever.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Bury. I have always buried our pets somewhere in our yard(s). Somewhere where they used to roam. Sad, but they are dead. And you are only burying the body - and not the memories.

I'm seriously thinking about cremating my boys after its their turn to pass on.... I'm unsure why, though.... hopefully I'll have plenty of more years to decide.

I will probably cremate my pups. I have had BAD experiences with burying pets.. especially in your yard...

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    I will probably cremate my pups. I have had BAD experiences with burying pets.. especially in your yard...
    Jessika, do you mean, "you end up seeing them again"???

Unfortunately, I've already had to make this decision several times. All my bridge kids were cremated, the rest of them will be too when the time comes. I have shelf in my bedroom with all the urns along with pictures and other mementos. I wear a small portion of Hoodoo's ashes in a pendant pretty much every day. It is in my will that when my time comes, my pets' ashes are to be mixed with mine and scattered in a particular spot.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by BOBS DAD
    Jessika, do you mean, "you end up seeing them again"???
    Yes that is exactly what I am referring to lol

facebook

Cremation. I think by burring a pet some animal could come and dig them up....and well not nice experience..
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I don't do anything like that. I'm not into cremating or burrying my dogs at all, I'd rather have the real dog or nothing at all but that's just me. IMO you don't even really know for sure who you are getting back when you cremate them, there could be some of your dog mixed in with a bunch of other pets...

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I can appreciate your concerns. Everyone expects their final Goodbyes to be FINAL - at least in this life. I have never had a "bad experience" (aka Jessika) as described, but I do make sure that I dig deep (approx 4 feet) and then lay to rest with a wrapping of some sort (blanket they liked or something). I know this is rather morbid and all... but I find this final act to be less detached and more therapeutic.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    I don't do anything like that. I'm not into cremating or burrying my dogs at all, I'd rather have the real dog or nothing at all but that's just me. IMO you don't even really know for sure who you are getting back when you cremate them, there could be some of your dog mixed in with a bunch of other pets...
    OK Orangutango...

but you do/will have to do something. Cause when they die, unless you do something... they will just continue to hang around - in the same spot. The only resurrection I know of was Jesus Christ!!!

Actually.... niether.
    I read somewhere that, for a substantial sum, you can have your dog or cat remains turned into a precious gem. It's similar to cremating and it is very expensive.

http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/whatisLG2006.aspx

Cremate.
    If I burried one of my pets here, they will be stuck here forever.. what if we moved?

I have different places where I want to spread the ashes, and different ideas of how I want to keep them.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

My husband and I buried our RB kitty about a year ago. I got a nice headstone for her and its nice knowing she is there. We plan on being in this house for a long time.

It was very hard burying her though, not sure I could do it again, especially with a larger animal. I also had nightmares the first week that she crawled out covered in dirt...sorry to be so graphic but they were disturbing dreams.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

All of my pets so far have been buried, but with Maggie she'll be cremated. I want to have her with me always.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"