Thread: Puppy losing hair

Question Puppy losing hair

I have recently adopted a puppy from a shelter, he is a spitz mix-white in color approximately 9 weeks old. I have taken him to the vet and he is up to date on all shots. I have given him capstar and apply front line plus. He has recently starting scratching alot and nawing off hair around his butt area and in the folds of his hind legs. I have bathed him with Sulfodene medicated shampoo and applied hydrocortisone spray. He is a precious puppy and doing great with house training. We need help to stop this habit or atleast advice as to what is causing this.

How long ago was he at the Vets? I would think the vet should be able to inspect him and check for any Mites and or fleas. Do you bathe him often, some dogs can only be bathed occasionally or their skin drys and becomes itchy. Also, he may have food allergies. Some dogs need to be on special diets because of allergies. I guess I would definitely take him to the vet to find out what's going on for sure.

I had him to the vet 2 weeks ago and the vet did check him, said there was signs that he had fleas but none were present at this time and I have looked him over and don't see anything.

I would take him back to the vet and have them do a skin scraping to find out of he by chance has mange. (his chances are higher because he came from a shelter)
    When a dog has mange, the hair loss would be around the edge of his ears, and his hocks first, then as it gets worse it spreads all over.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Take in a stool sample as well to have him checked for tapeworm (possible because he has had fleas) as well as any other worms. Whether this is related to his condition or not it's a good time to do it since he is going anyway (if it hasn't already been done). Have the skin scraping done to check for mange (demodex or sarcoptic) and have him checked for fleas again. If all of that comes back negative I would suspect a food allergy or a possible allergy to something he sits in since it located around his hind end, possibly grass, weeds, or something of that nature. He also may have had a reaction to the frontline and it's cropping up in those areas. Good luck and let us know how it goes. He really does need to see the vet for this though, so you and he can rest easier.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Only one other suggestion to the others mentioned already.... make sure you have him rinsed very thoroughly aster his bath. Any soap residue can cause this kind of skin irritation also. I am a fanatic about rinsing thoroughly after bathing as it has caused problems for most of my dogs.

frontline?

the dog may be allergic to the frontline. My neighbor's dog's hair fell out and she started scratching uncontrollably when they switched from frontline to frontline plus. Another possibility is all these chemicals the dog has received at once; like the vaccinations, flea repellants and skin meds. Chemicals tend to lower a dog's ability to fight things off themselves. Bathe the dog in a fragrance/soap free shampoo...something very basic, but be careful not to overbathe. Earthbath is a good one to use for things like this. Since it is very likely the food is the main source of the problem, switch to a natural diet with no corn/soy/colorings/etc.

Update on Angel

We went back to the vet and he does have a type of mange. The vet dip him and we go back in a week for another dipping. The vet said this was common since he came from a shelter and that he probably had gotten it from his mother. He is doing better and thanks to all of you for your concern.