Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumbing down cookbooks

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Dumbing down cookbooks

I read an article today that said they are having to dumb down cookbooks because most people today don't know basic cooking terminology. Like, simmer, saute, fold, cream.... I'm glad I had parents who taught me some basic cooking techniques. I'm not a very good cook, but I enjoy experimenting. The article stressed the importance of teaching your teenagers who will be soon going off to college some basic cooking skills. Some funny's from the article:

A college guy making spaghetti called his Mom at home to find out if he should cook the hamburger before he added it to the sauce. Guess he never noticed how to do it. It just "magically" appeared at the dinner table. (Frankly, I'm impressed he was making that much effort. Most guys I know would have just opened a jar of sauce).

A person was trying to bake something but didn't have any eggs. Sent e-mail to the company asking if they could substitute PEACHES instead.

Then, there is the man who called furious that his house caught on fire after he followed the instructions to grease the bottom of the pan. You guessed, it. He greased the bottom all right. The outside of the pan.

Laurababies If you ever get tired of going up and down the Mississippi, I think you could have a long career ahead of you teaching basic cooking techniques to all these kids who grew up nuking food that tastes like cardboard and plastic in the microwave.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I love to cook. I don't have a willing audience, currently, but, I do love to cook!

That is pretty funny Lisa (greasing bottom of pan)...

I LOVE cooking and so my kids grew up in the kitchen pretty much. There was one year that hubby was in Korea and my kids were about ages 8-12 or so. They each had one day of the week that they were in charge of shopping and cooking for the family. It was pretty interesting...only daughter Missy made macaroni & cheese or ramen noodles every single week Oldest son Bryan would fix homestyle meals and son Jason discovered a real love for cooking. He is 25 now and loves cooking like I do. He continues to fix family meals and experiments with new recipes.

I think part of the trouble today is that so many folks do not have time to cook meals and so kids grow up thinking that "dinner" comes in paper sacks at the drive-through or miraculously appears on a plate.

I'm sure that when I started looking at cookbooks, they always had a glossary of terms. They didn't necessarily assume knowledge. Surely they could still put that in? Perhaps they don't think poeple would bother to read it.

A while ago, one of our TV chef-types, published basic cookery books teaching people how to cook, assuming no knowledge whatsoever. Foolproof recipes for everything from cooking storecupboard staples to really quite accomplished dishes. It was aimed at people, possibly students, leaving home for the first time; and it attempted to equip readers with good techniques for cooking fresh food, who might otherwise only eat heated or take-away meals. She took an enormous amount of flak at the time for telling people how to boil an egg, but the books were very successful.

My mother did not like anyone else in the kitchen with her and felt it was just easier to do it herself. Something none of us particularly fought....

My senior year in high school....my mother went off on a trip and left my dad and me home. There were meals prepared (this was before microwaves).

I worked after school. One night my dad called me at work. He was trying to follow the instructions my mother had left. "Put some oil in the pan." An automotive engineer, I am sure he was looking for some crank case oil in the kitchen.

Just as sad.... I had to put him on hold while I went and asked a co-worker what I should tell him.....

My mother did not like anyone else in the kitchen with her and felt it was just easier to do it herself. Something none of us particularly fought....
    My mom was the same way about cooking as well as the cleaning. I came to college with no domestic skills. My grandmother tried teaching me how to cook when I was a kid, but she passed away before I really got a chance to learn or remember most of what she showed me.

I know now some of the basics, but all of the dinners I cook are very basic and simple. So usually Alexa prefers to cook now because she claims she doesn't like my boring dinners.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I learned how to cook when I was young and had to help out in the kitchen as part of my daily chores. When I was 10 years old, my Mom got very ill and was in a coma for about a month. When she came to, she had brain damage and was in the hospital for an additional 3 months. The whole time, my Dad worked and my brother and I cooked supper. We had sausages, peas and mashed potatoes every night for 4 months. Occasionally my wicked step-sister would come over and prepare something else and that was OK with us. Even when Mom got home, her brain damage was so bad that we had to teach her how to do everything...read, write, dress, wash....all the things we take for granted. So we still had to cook but fortunately my Aunt introduced some variety. I remember learning how to cook fried chicken and once I mastered that, we had it every Sunday night.

As for now, I really don't like nuked food and I always try to cook a balanced meal on weekends. Last night I had a baked chicken breast with steamed asparagus with "real" hollandaise sauce.

Alot of times I will also cook in bulk, for example a huge pot of chicken soup, a big lasagne or a whole roast stuffed chicken. That way I can freeze leftovers for lunch and suppers during the week.

...and thanks to Pet Talk, I can now boil the purrrrfect egg!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Wow, its amazing how things have changed. I LOVE to cook

I'm currently in a Food and Nutritional Science class at school. The teacher one day asked who knew what hamburger came from ( ) and some Freshman said Horse! She honestly thought beef came from a horse I'm not surprised they're having to "dumb down" cookbooks...

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

My mom taught me everything I know! As she had MS, she couldn't do lots of things, but she gave me instructions from her wheelchair! Though I don't like to cook, I know all I have to know thanks to her!!!
    No spaghetti sauce from jars here, I make most things from scratch
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I had trained many cooks when I ran that cafeteria. One lady had no idea how to even follow a recipe, have never made anything by a recipe. After the first year of her working for me, her husband came to pick her up from work one day and told me how much he has benifitted from what she learned at work. He smiled and said, "I actually get HOMEMADE cornbread and ROLLS now.... AT HOME!"

I am proud to say, I taught all my kids how to cook, even the boys and what they didn't learn from me they learned from cook books. I think both my son's had to teach their wives how to cook. Kevlin really enjoys cooking.

It is just not the art of cooking that the kids today are not learning. We all sat at the dinner table to eat at the same time, families don't do that much anymore and to me that is a very important part of being a "family".

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed
    I LOVE cooking and so my kids grew up in the kitchen pretty much. There was one year that hubby was in Korea and my kids were about ages 8-12 or so. They each had one day of the week that they were in charge of shopping and cooking for the family. It was pretty interesting...only daughter Missy made macaroni & cheese or ramen noodles every single week Oldest son Bryan would fix homestyle meals and son Jason discovered a real love for cooking. He is 25 now and loves cooking like I do. He continues to fix family meals and experiments with new recipes.
    Debbie ~ My folks did something similar when we got old enough. Each child was responsible for making 1 dinner a week. I think I made Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff every week. To this day, I can't even look at a box of Hamburger helper without getting queasy.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

When I cook fresh bread ans scones, the birds come to my window and enjoy the smell...some days I don't cook and I can see them fluttering around the window waiting for me to cook. The days I don't cook are the days I am lazy!

I'm one of those people .. I would love to learn how to cook, Althought I can honestly say I haven't( this year!) and have no plans on eating any microwave meals again because seriously you can just taste how bad they are!

I did cooking at school but my teacher never taught us the basics and if we couldnt do it we was told to sit out so never really got the chance to learn! I know its very sad but I have only recently figured out how to use the oven in my house! I guess its just down to never being shown or taught how to do certain things.
    I know very few things but definatly would love to learn more because I enjoy being in the kitchen making things!

Every child in our family could put a meal on the table for the whole family by the time they finished elementary school. Male or female, made no difference. Both my parents enjoyed cooking, and passed that enjoyment to us, which I am sure our respective spouses appreciate. My eldest neice and nephew have been trained that way as well, and I am sure all subsequent ones will be.

For bridal showers for people who did NOT grow up in my family, I usually make sure to include a paperback Fanny Farmer cookbook. It defines everything, cooking terms, etc., and always has. It is invaluable for a beginning cook of any age.

The good part about learning to cook? The results are usually edible - and if not, at least then you know what NOT to do! A dear friend once brought muffins to work, handed one to me and said "Tell me what's wrong with it!" Took a bite, the flavor was okay, just the texture kind odd. She had stirred them into submission, not necessary for muffins!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I LOVE to cook and learned from my mom and grandmother at a very early age. Mom went to work when I was about 12 or 13 and my sister and I shared the duties of cooking for a family of five. Home-Economics (basically teaching you how to be a housewife) was mandatory in high school back in those days and I LOVED the cooking classes.

The microwave is merely a nice accessory to my kitchen. I use it mainly for cooking vegetables which is does very well and very quickly. I don't buy frozen, prepared or packaged foods, preferring to cook fresh food "from scratch" and I live alone. I prefer my cooking over anything that comes in frozen boxes. It really doesn't take too long if you know what you're doing in the kitchen.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10