Thread: My cat is attacking my new dog

My cat is attacking my new dog

I am not sure what to do....I adopted a 3 year old Weimareiner about a month a go and my 6 year old cat hates her. My cat actually chases her and tries to claw her. The dog never bothers her let alone goes near her she is petrified of the cat. Anyway I am seriously considering getting the cat declawed but I would rather not and am open to other suggestions.

Tenaj - look under General; I posted something I found about introducing a new cat into the home, but I am sure it applies to any animal.

Did you keep them separated at first?

I am glad you are reluctant to declaw...talk to a behaviourist, try kennel drops or something temporarily - there are a lot of folks here who will have great advice.

Did you post this on Dog General also?

hugs
    Catty1

The cat is just establishing who is boss - her. As long as there isn't any serious damage done, I wouldn't worry about it. This will be one dog who respects kitties - and that's not a bad thing. Just keep an eye on it, but with that smoooooooth Weimy coat, you'd be sure to see any actual scratches. If she dislikes water (some cats don't, and this would not work for them, [right, Pippin?]) keep a spray bottle with just plain water in it and squirt her when she goes to attack the pup.

I agree that the cat is establishing dominance - and also expressing a sense that maybe it is a bit overwhelmed by the new dog. It sounds normal to me. My sister has a cat and she adopted a female greyhound - the most shy and gentle kind of animal you could hope to meet. But Lizzie, the cat, hissed and spat and put the dog in her place. To this day, the dog (and now, a second, male, greyhound) have their own room, to which the cat is a stranger. The dogs are free to come out into the rest of the house if they choose, but Lizzie has taught them their place, and they prefer the peace of their "dog room." I think that eventually, your two will work out a system that will allow them both to live in the same home.

ok I need help

my cat is also attacking my dog. Originally we got a new dog in December she was about 3 months old. and the cat would attack her at will. We hoped it would end but months later it still hasn't ended. Recently we rescued another Dog from being put to sleep. A very dosile huge female Pitbull. The cat attacks at will this dog and the original dog still. What can I do with this cat to calm her down? I love her very much and would hate to see the dog's finally get her back, but I don't know what to do besides keep her out the house when the dogs are in it and keep the dog's out when she is in it.

Does the cat ever draw blood, or is she just playing? Does she still get as much attention as she always did?

she get's lot's of attention and she draws blood, she is extremely evil when she attacks and the dogs can be in another room if she's in the house with them she will seek them out to attack.

The Dogs are docile as they recognize that the Cat was there first.Its sad but you may have to keep them seperated before something bad happens.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS