Thread: Did a strange animal ever turn up on your doorstep

Did a strange animal ever turn up on your doorstep

Last December a rather large bird just appeared in my neighbourhood. Noone knew where he came from or what he was.It turned out that we found out everyone noticed him and fed him bread and water - after a week or so he just disappeared. The swan rescue, bird sanctory and animal welfare society would not take him as they said he must have escaped from a farm - and gone into the city. What is he ? What would you do with him ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1822.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	785.1 KB 
ID:	27053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1824.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	776.7 KB 
ID:	27055  

Is it a guinea fowl? .. I'm probably wrong.. I know nothing about farm animals! My friend's family used to raise guinea fowl, and they looked kinda like that... except they were grey-er.
    I'm not sure what I'd do if any kind of livestock fowl came here... probably get my friend's neighbor to take it (since they breed ducks, chickens, and guineas).
    I've never had a strange animal show up here....

OMG, that is so sad...I really hope that no harm came to the poor thing!!

I was thinking a guinea fowl too...I have had a turkey escape from the turkey plant and end up under my dads pick-up truck top! I kept him for two days (it wasn't hot out) and I gave him food and water. i loved Mr. Gobbles! Unfortunately, my grandpa made the men who work at the turkey plant come and take Mr. Gobbler away

I hope that bird is okay, and he somehow for his way back home!!!
    Steph, Splinter and my betta

guinea foul

A lot of people who saw him in the feathers suggested a guinea foul so you are probably right. I never saw one of them before - not even on a farm or in the zoo. How strange that he stayed like that in the area.

Now that I think about it...
    Actually Sunday morning I found a strange animal in my kitchen...but I was out on Saturday night, so that might have something to do with it...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_3
    I was thinking a guinea fowl too...I have had a turkey escape from the turkey plant and end up under my dads pick-up truck top! I kept him for two days (it wasn't hot out) and I gave him food and water. i loved Mr. Gobbles! Unfortunately, my grandpa made the men who work at the turkey plant come and take Mr. Gobbler away

I hope that bird is okay, and he somehow for his way back home!!!
    Steph, Splinter and my betta
    I think maybe the photoshows him whiter than he was
    He was kinda greywith little speckles
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry Carolineg but from your photo, i see that you took it on Christmas day...maybe someone had a nice new years day meal???

That is a Guinea Hen!! We have 6 of them. Must have escaped from a farm... the only place they are wild is Africa!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Yep, a guinea fowl! Hope she made it home safely.

cool.

The strangest thing near our door step (well I was at my grandma in Verner, Ontario) was a BULL! ok it was grazing on all the neighbours lawns, but it was on ours aswell.. I ended up chasing him down into a a large vally. It was very steep & he was safer down there until the farmer came to get him.. only 50 feet away was a MAJOR HWY & transports always speed by & it would cause an aweful reck if one hit the poor bull or swerved to miss it.

Also later that day I had to bark at a herd of 50 cows!!!! in the middle of the road we were on.. We couldn't turn around as it was a 10km long road to the middle of nowhere hehe The cows were good & they got off the road & went into a neighbours garden *whistles & walks away* We drove to the nearest farm & asked if it was their cows, they pointed us in the correct direction & we alerted the farmer the loss of any livestock out there could bankrupt a farm, as its poor country out there, but great people

When we lived in a farming-type area, it wasn't uncommon for us to wake up to this one neighbor's horses and pigs in our front yard. Since we didn't have either of our own, we kids loved it. I've had various animals like alligator lizards, a small hawk, a pheasant, and a pregnant gater snake show up on my porch, but that was thanks to an over-zealous cat I'd adopted. Luckily, all of those were found in time to survive and be released once they'd healed up a bit.

awwww. a guinea! those are EVERYWHERE around here. a lot of farms and amish people have them. i've never really taken a liking to them. i hope he's ok.

the weirdest thing to ever wonder in my yard was a fox. i was a sleep on the porch last year and a fox came up and licked my hand. other than random turtles, deer, and A LOT of dogs.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I lived in London a few years ago and foxes and squirrels were alwasy coming into my back yard.One afternoon I went out and two fox cubs were in the garden - I took a photo of them scampering away.

It's the gaurd dog of the poultry world they can be very mean. grand mom used to have them I refused to feed them they chased any one but her.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel