Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spaying females

spaying females

I am setting up a spaying session at the vets next Friday. I plan to take Princess, Tiger, and Fluffy in for the operation.(For a picture very similar to Tiger, see COTD for May 3, 2001, Mika. Tiger has more dark areas on her coat, but note the eyes!) Fluffy is the main attacker of Princess, and I certainly hope that the operaton will alter this undesirable trait. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

.........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 05-05-2002 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks for the update, Wayne. I sure hope this helps stop the attacks on poor Princess. I really believe it will, but will be waiting to hear the outcome.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Good for you! I think you'll notice a big difference!

I'm glad you've made this decision, Wayne. Having them outdoors, this will make that a lot less worrisome. I've never had a litter of kittens before, as I couldn't stand the wailing that came along with them being in heat....had all of my "girls" spayed as quickly as possible.

I do hope you get the desired effects. It may take a little while, but I'll bet you'll be glad you did it. Good luck to all three!

This has been a very busy day. Between taking my 3 furkids to the neuter/spay clinic, a dentist appointment, and an unexpected visit to the SPCA animal shelter, I am about worn out. OK, I got Tiger, Fluffy, and Princess spayed today. Other than being a little out of balance, they appear to be alright. Since the vet said that she couldn't guarantee that Fluffy would not attack the other cats, I placed her in an isolation room with her 3 kittens for company.

I knew I shouldn't have visited the animal shelter. When I was there about 2 weeks ago there was a little female tuxedo kitty. (I say "tuxedo" because of her coloration, being white underneath from her nose and throat to her back paws, otherwise black on top. All of her whiskers are white as well, being on a black fur base). Well, I tried resist her then, so I went back to see if she was still there, and she was! I noticed that there was a lynx-point Siamese that had been taken in the mean time. The same story with her today as 2 weeks ago -she is so affectionate, and loves "scritchies". When I picked her up from her cage today at the shelter, she immediately began to purr, and cuddle her head against my chest. I couldn't reisist any longer, and adopeted her. Her name is Amy Cat. I have had her home for about 3 hours, and already she is making herself welcome. As soon as she quits yeowling at the other cats, (which only come close to see her), then I suppose that they will all get along with each other much better. She was spayed only yesterday, so I suspect that she is a little sore and confused. Right now, she is laying next to the keyboard where Princess normally stays. I trust that she will integrate with the rest of the family, being a type "B" personality cat, like the rest of my indoor kittys. It appears that there will be minimal trouble with her. The first thing she did when she was released from the pet carrier was to use the litter box! Besides Tiger, she is the only one here who is not directly interrelated with each other.

...........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 05-03-2002 at 08:08 PM.

A big welcome to the newest member of Pet Talk - Amy Cat! Wayne, I think your heart is bigger than most anyone I know! With all the cats you already have, and the problems with having so many cats (not to mention the cost) and you go out and rescue another one! I'm glad she seems to be blending in well, and hopefully the spaying with help with the others leaving Princess alone. Congratulations on your newest arrival!

PS - I'm a little confused. Amy Cat is the tuxedo right? Not the siamese that recently arrived? Just trying to keep them all straight in my mind.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Wayne, I am SO excited for you and for little Amy Cat. So glad she has a new home with you. Whee!!!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Congratulations on the adoption of Amy Cat. I know I'd be tempted to adopt another cat too so I have to stay away from animal shelters. Three cats are enough to keep me busy. I also hope that your other cats recover quickly and calm down so that they can finally get along. Please keep us posted.

Amy cat has the most viscious "meow" to warn others to keep their distance, it sounds like a cougar's night cry, and loud too! It scares the others, and no one has attempted to encroach on her or to challenge her in any manner. (Amy is a small cat, about the size as Ophelia - Ophie Cat). At any rate, I placed her on the top shelf in the front room's shelving, where I also made a cat box shelter a few months ago. This was done so she can observe what is done around here and when, and so she can stay securely out of the way. So far, today I have not heard her "screech-warning". I feed her separate from the others so she won't have to come amidst the cat crowd in order to eat.

All of my "girls" who underwent surgery yesterday are still recouperating. Tiger is the only one who isn't doing much. So, I bring her meals separate from the others because she is hypoglycemic, and must be fed canned food only. Tiger is getting fat. The vet made mention of a high energy product to get Tiger. It comes in a toothpaste-type dispenser. The name of the product is Nutra-Cal. She said that this would help Tiger not to become so weak between meals. Is any one familiar with this? When Tiger hasn't eaten in several hours, I notice she is too weak to jump up into her pet carreir, that I use for an isolation feeder for her, to keep the other furkids out and away.

Right now, Ophie, Tiger, Snow Cat , and Blue are all sleeping on my bed. Princess is in her window box and Amy cat is still in the top-shelf box.

...........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 04-29-2002 at 08:28 PM.

Thank you for the update. I can almost see your furry menagerie and the little furry ladies recuperating atop your bed. {{{to you and your brood}}}

Let us know how Nutri Cal works out. I haven’t heard of this product.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I found and purchased a tube of Nutra-cal for Tiger. The stuff looks and feels like axle grease, but I put a little on tiger's mouth and she immediately began to lap it up. I hope this stuff will help to keep her energy levels up. Also, that Tiger is obviously gaining weight. And I am beginning to be concerned for her overall health. She isn't (apparently) active enough to keep the extra weight off.

.......wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 05-03-2002 at 08:13 PM.

Former User Guest
    Wayne, you sure have a big heart, thanx for rescuing again! Wow, you must be really busy!

I was thinking yesterday, why does my furkids willingly occupy so much of my time and interest. I believe now, that it is because they need me, and also because of the unconditional love that they return. I enjoy taking care of them, and really, they are not that much trouble. That they all have their little personality traits, and are not just "cats" -being undifferentiated.

The Nutra-cal I bought Tiger yesterday is apparently doing the job. This morning she was racing around the house while Fawn and her played "chase". I have seldom seen such energy from Tiger. In fact, I just squirt out about 1 teaspoon full of the stuff on her canned food, and she laps it up. She still comes and looks at me with those big, expressive eyes of hers, when she is hungry, which is proving most of the time! I can thoroughly recommend Nutra-cal for any cat which is lacking in energy and has dietary defeciencies. It costs about $5.00 per tube, and is only available from the vets or specialized pet stores.

I have also set up an appointment for Ophelia ( to view a likeness of Ophie cat see COTD for April 23, 2002, named "Midnight") and Blue (COTD Dec. 8, 1999, Zuzu), to have them spayed next Wednesday (5/8). Except for Fawn, this will complete the indoor family. Next, I will begin on the outdoor cats. Spaying and neutering definitely helps with their personalities and it causes them not to be so demanding for "natural-cat" facilities, in that they are now more content to stay inside and play with cat toys and also not to argue with each other as much. I only wish that this house was a little larger.

..........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 05-05-2002 at 05:58 PM.

It's good to hear that things are going good with all your kitties, Wayne. Yes, I think they demand so much of your attention because you willingly give it. They enjoy it and you enjoy it so everyone wins!
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Nutra-cal is great stuff. I always keep a tube on hand in case one of the cats get off their feed. It's full of vitamins and stuff they need. I've even mixed it in liquid like milk or even water and forced it down sick cats. They all recovered. Hope all your babies are feeling their best again soon.