Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uses for Whiskers?

Uses for Whiskers?

Okay....this may sound really weird...but I think it was one of those 'started with two or three and kept going' kinds of things.

Where I work has a growing collection of whiskers. When the cats' rooms are swept, any found whisker makes its way into a small container.

What to do with them? Earrings? Make 'drawings' of weird trees and frame them?

Any ideas???

Also - our litter is alfalfa pellets, rabbit food. The bags are like synthetic burlap, shiny and smooth. Any creative ideas for those???

Catty1

Ha, ha, ha, ha! You sound like ME!! I am always afraid to throw things away, thinking they could be used for something else. I would just say try any idea you come up with and if it works, you have a winner, if it don't, you are not out anything.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

My kennel bosses started this one - you can't blame ALL the weirdness on ME!

I also acquired my two furbabies from them...both very precious!

I should learn how to do a siggie or something one day.

cheers
    Catty1

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because I have an envelope full of whiskers from Speckles and Max. I will use a few from Speckles for her memorial picture but the rest??? Don't know.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I have a collection of these too, the white ones are easier to find than blackie ones lying on the carpet. No suggestions at the moment, I'm afraid. 'spose I've never really thought what they could be used for.

I also have for each baby (for a keepsake) little claw husks stuck onto pieces of sellotape! No use for them of course, just a little furrever reminder
    Laura

No idea

I also have a tooth from baby Jasmine, the only one I could find. I keep it safely in a small box

I've only ever found one whisker EVER! I sat staring at in amazement because I never thought about them loosing their whiskers since I never saw one before. 5 cats and one whisker.... what do you think the cats do with them so that I never find them?

I have no idea what you could do with your collection though.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I too used to save whiskers, and also used to do a lot of crafts. My dear RB kitty Rosebud was the model for a ceramic kitty that I painted and then dressed up. The whiskers I accumulated added just the right touch to make it realistic looking. Some day I'll dig it out and take a picture. You can buy ceramic unpainted animal bodies at many craft stores and paint them yourself. I glued the whiskers on with a dab of Alene's Tacky Glue....it came out really cute.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

I know that hobbyists who build models of plastic scale armour tanks, etc, use cats whiskers to simulate antennas. I haven't tried this out on my armour models yet, though.

Brian

You could put them into a locket the way that some people do with locks of hair.
    That would indeed be a unique thing as not Many People carry Cats Whiskers with them.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Hm, guilty too ! I found a white one last week, and put it in anenvelope . I don't know if I will ever use them, but it is a great souvenir! I wish I had saved some from Sydney
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I keep chuck's in a special whisker box. LOL

I used to have a couple of his baby teeth too. But they got lost somewhere. They were so cute.
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

In the past people didn't have photos of their loved ones so they would do hair works . You draw a picture of what they liked and then you glue the hair to fill in the picture. I have a copy of a book of this. I have to find it ,still in a box , will look later and the post the title . It was kind of neat some very nice pictures if you could get past that it was from a dead loved one.
    Of course didn't much bother me as I spin fur for memories.
    Will add the book title later today
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Oh you guys are going to think I'm the "wierd" one of the bunch.......

I work with clay, and there is a technique called "Horsehair" where you take real hair from either the horse's tail or main. When the pot/or piece gets to an exact tempature, you pull it out and you have any where between 1-3 minutes to place the horsehair on the pot. When cooled it gives a beautiful effect - no two are alike.

Well, I did this on a cat statue, but with cat whiskers, and it really came out pretty cool. Only problem is, I only have 3 cats, and I only find wiskers only once in a while so it's hard for me to do this project all the time.

Anyone with "extra" wiskers that want to donate to an artist......... (I've always been afraid to ask this!)
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

CnC... THIS is the one place where you can ask things (pertaining to animals) that you dare not ask anywhere else and nobody think you are strange... Now that I know, I will save any I find for you.

I love that locket idea, that is soooo sweet! All that fur I saved from Amy's "brushing" the other days.... hummmmmm....

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!