Thread: I need some quick advice about Bailey.

I need some quick advice about Bailey.

It seems I can't take Bailey for obedience classes until September 5th. I just don't know how to handle her. She plays so rough and I tried yelling "ouch" when she bites to hard but it seems to only excite her more. With her size it is hard to control her. I have a fenced yard for her to play in but I can't work on housebreaking if she is outside all the time. She is great dane and rottweiler mix and weighs 34.5 lbs and is 18 1/2 inches at the shoulders. She is 4 months old, the vet said maybe 4 1/2 months. Can anyone help with some advice on how to control her until classes? Thanks in advance, you have all been so much help already.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: nanaberry ]

First of all let me say that a great dane/rott mix sounds BEAUTIFUL. Do you have any pictures?? I would LOVE to see Bailey!

Ok, what exactly are the problems you are having with her? For the biting, you might want to spray bitter apple on your hands before you play with her. Generally, the "OUCH!" works with most dogs so it sounds like you got a little booger on your hands Do you say OUCH in a really high pitched tone? Try it very loud and high pitched. You also might want to try the pennies in a milk carton or something similar while she's in the house. If she starts jumping all over, just bang the carton and the noise will scare her so she should eventually stop the jumping.

I can try to help you with more specific things. Just let me know if there's anything else she's doing
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Nana, I would go to the library and get some books on raising a puppy. They will have much helpful information for you. A good one is Good Owners Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson, but I would check out several so you can get some different perspectives. At your dog's age it is also teething, so make sure it has rope bones, nylabones, etc. Once this stage has passed some of the mouthing will decrease as well. Aly's advice is right on target.

Thanks aly I'll try the pennies and let you know. Here is a link with some pictures of Bailey
    http://community.webshots.com/user/nana2jess1

Nanaberry, the penny bottle works wonders. Daisy was a very nippy puppy, but if you are consistent with the penny bottle, she WILL stop biting. Good luck!

Bailey is just precious!!!!! Thanks for posting that link, I'm drooling over here now Good luck with the training and let us know if you need anymore advice.
    Alyson

do i put the pennies in a glass bottle?

Put them in a plastic milk carton. You can also put beans in a plastic water bottle or milk jug.
    Alyson

What about when she bites, holding her nose closed and saying NO!-OUCH!!
    You are from Galion? That's just a hop and a skip from Upper Sandusky, isn't it??
    Welcome to the board!! Bailey's a cutie!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Yes I'm very close to Upper Sandusky. Tried to hold her nose but she gets so excited I can't get ahold and I'm afraid I'll hurt her.

What a Darling....Good luck with the biting. I agree with holding her muzzle lightly, so, she cannot open her mouth. That work well on my little guy. (Maltese-Shih-tzu mix.) But, I will have to say it took several light holds, to get him to stop. Good Luck. I loved the pictures!!
    Also, try to use that, after you have let her run a lot of her energy off, sometimes, they are just bored, and will do anything for attention.Good Love, I love this message board....
    My KNines http://hometown.aol.com/beetrixpotter/AllOurKNines.html

Bailey is just beautiful, I'm sure she will do good in class, in the meantime give her plenty to chew on.
    Welcome BeeTrixPotter, glad you joined us, You will meet some really nice and wonderful people here who have very good ideas on how to take care of animals and love them.

Welcome, newcomers, to PetTalk, the most fabulous, addictive website! Far be it from me to give training advise, but I used pennies in a soda can. Anyway, I know this is of no help to you, and I'm sorry, but with Bailey's face, jesh, I'd have to get my emotions in check before I say NO! Of course, I'm 3/4 kidding.. Gorgeous girl! I fell instantly in love with her! Great mix!

I've been Boooo'd!

Just wanted everyone to know that the pennies are working good so far. Thanks for the tip. I am greatful and Bailey is too

I don't know if this will help you or not with Bailey but I went to the website for Purina puppy chow...www.puppychow.com and sent for their free puppy care kit. It included a video on not only caring for a puppy but training. It helped until I got Ricky into Puppy pre-school.
    By the way, Bailey is absolutely beautiful.