• Never used them

14 51.85%
  • Don't know....

7 25.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oppinions on Nail Caps?

Oppinions on Nail Caps?

I was just curious...... what does everyone think about nail caps? I'm against them to be honest. All of our cats are outdoor, and there are several other cats around the neighborhood, and fights are inevitably gonna occur. The caps would prevent a cat from defending himself. I also think there just plain ole awkward on a cat

I would rather resort to nail caps than have my cat declawed, that's for darned sure

facebook

I'm a big fan of nail caps, but I'm also a big fan of indoor only cats! When the cats were kittens I used them while I was training them how to use their scratching posts, and even more important I had to teach them that I was not a scratching post. They didn't even notice them at all. Then once they learned that climbing up my leg was a bad thing to do I stopped putting them on and now just trim their nails once a week.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I do not agree with outdoor cats, either - so if an indoor cat is at the risk of being declawed, nail caps are the best thing in the world to me.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Yeah, nail caps are definitely better than being declawed, that's true. Wow, I think I just changed my thoughts on nail caps I guess my mind is easily changeable or something

They're better than getting a cat declawed but if I had a cat I'd just cut it's nails so I'd have no need for nail caps.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    They're better than getting a cat declawed but if I had a cat I'd just cut it's nails so I'd have no need for nail caps.
    Have you ever had a kitten before? They like to climb, it doesn't matter how often you trim their nails they will still climb. Climbing on curtains, tugging on bedsheets.. ehh whatever I'll get new ones. I swear they wait until the seconds your pants come off or your wearing shorts and they climb up your leg like a tree. This is something they have to be trained not to do. They also like to climb high places then wait until you walk past them then jump off and use you as a landing post. I've had enough claw marks up my legs, shoulders, face, neck.. Some people don't care, but I think it hurts!

What's strange is that the people who I know that have had indoor cats don't seem to have problems with the nail caps. They do not hurt, they can still scratch the way they normally do, the only difference is that their nails can't actually dig into something. I've used them on Tibby as well as Alexa's kittens and they never even noticed or seemed bothered by them. Now that they are older and don't use me as their scratching post they don't need them anymore.

I'm not saying that every cat needs to wear them, I'm just confused as to how people can be against something that doesn't in any way harm your pet. It's like me saying I'm against putting outfits on dogs because I don't think they need them.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I should of voted for both, I like them but have not used them.

I feel the same way as Uabasson

Quote Originally Posted by Uabassoon
    Have you ever had a kitten before? They like to climb, it doesn't matter how often you trim their nails they will still climb.

No and I haven't been around many kittens so I didn't even think of that. Most of the cats I know don't climb all over everything though and they get their nails clipped so that's what I'm used to seeing, I don't really have a problem with caps though. They're just not something I'd like to use if I ever have a cat.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I usually don't have a problem with my cat climbing on me or attacking my feet. I've trained Cubby to be gentle whenever he's getting wild and I'm around him. It's kinda funny because I'll put my hand near where he is playing and then he'll stop because he's learned that it hurts me if he digs his claws into me. Overall I guess I usually don't mind my cat climbing on me or anything, if I'm sitting or laying down. I hate it when he starts attackign my feet though Well, I've learned and now agree that nail caps are pretty good after all. Thanks everyone!

I think they're great for indoor kitties, and terrible for outdoor kitties. My friend had an orangie who played very rough, and eventually I bought him his first set of nail caps when he kept coming in to work with his arms totally shredded. ^_^ He was a sweet kitty, I swear, just overly playful!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Never used them

I've never used them. I certainly woulden't put them on Oreo because she is both an indoor and outdoor cat.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I've never personally used them though I've considered trying them with my cat, "Kitten" (he's actually 2 years old (3 in June), he just never got a proper name- just "Kitten"). Anyway of my 5 cats he's the only one who scratches things he's not supposed to. All the others use the scratch posts and so does Kitten, but he also scratches other things. I keep his nails short, but that only helps some.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

15. Never used them.
    but think there a good idea.