Thread: Odor Eaters Litter

Odor Eaters Litter

I bought the new Odor Eaters litter today mainly because I needed litter and it was the stuff on sale. I generally don't get too excited over litter, and basically have resigned myself to the fact that no matter how clean my litterbox is, litterboxes are smelly.

I added it to a few of the boxes that were low on litter. I didn't even use half the jug; I simply just added a few cups to each box that needed it. I stirred it in to mix with the old stuff and I didn't think much of it until just now... and oh-my-goodness! I smelled NOTHING! No pee, no poo, no perfumes, not even the smell of the litter that was in the box before I added the Odor Eaters litter. And the stuff that was in the box was a mixture of unscented clumping litter and the Tidy Cats Small Spaces litter (which if you've smelled it, you know its fruity smelling... which is nice when its fresh but awful once it gets kinda old) Well, my litterboxes were completely and totally odor free!!!

Ok, so you're thinking my nose is off tonight, that maybe my sinuses are stuffy. Nope... the boxes where I did not add the Odor Eaters are as stinky as ever.

I will completely dump one box tomorrow and see what happens in a box that 100% Odor Eaters litter.

Can ya tell I'm excited? This stuff is AMAZING!

I will have to check that stuff out! What store did you find it in?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    I will have to check that stuff out! What store did you find it in?
    Petsmart. I think its $7.99 on sale right now (at least in my local store) I am used to paying less for the same weight by going to Sam's Club for the Sam's Club brand litter, but if it continues to work this well, I'll never complain about the price!

Jen puts that on her list of things to try.

What sort of consistency is it? Is it clay-based? I've switched to SwheatScoop which I mostly like, but some of the cats won't cover their poop with it. Actually, Ginger has now switched to the floor to poop on so no litter is going to cover that smell. I've never yet found an air freshener that I can cope with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    What sort of consistency is it?
    Ah, the consistency is what I love about it too! It actually looks more clay like than clumping. The granules are larger than most. In fact, the one reason I hated the Arm & Hammer litter was because its grains were too fine and almost sandy. This stuff is nice and big with a nice texture.

Tell you just how amazing this stuff is: During winter when I scoop at night, I'm too lazy to put on shoes to take the bag out to the trash cans, so I simply put it in that little room outside my kitchen. Usually in the mornings I open the door and go "OMG, its deadly in here!" When I opened the door this morning I expected to be knocked out by odor.... I wasn't! I even checked to make sure hubby or the kids were nice enough to take the bag to the trash can (hey I can dream, can't I?!) If it continues to be this effective, I found myself a new litter and will save the extra money I've been spending on candles and such to cover up the nasty litter smell!

Thats great.I love the larger grains.Felix tends to drag around the smaller ones all over the house after he uses.I find it very messy.This is big grain and odor eater( A 2 in 1),I cant wait to try this.Thanks. well Felix will try it

Felix's Catster Page- http://www.catster.com/?150963

Felix's Website Page- http://www.felinefelix.piczo.com

Beer's Dogster Page- http://www.dogster.com/?168340

I hope this is available here too! Can you please post the complete name of that stuff, and description of what it is? I don't understand if this is just a product to add to the boxes, or complete stuff?
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Lut, its a complete litter. Here's the link to it: Odor Eaters Litter . Not a very exciting website in the least but it shows you the product

Edit: that link isn't losing too well for me. Sorry, but thats all I could find. It must be very new!

I use Feline Pine and really like it because it doesn't create silica dust causing the "booger queen" to sneeze all over the place. I'll have to look for it and give it a try. $7.99 for how much litter?? I'll let you know how much it is out here.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Lut, its a complete litter. Here's the link to it: Odor Eaters Litter . Not a very exciting website in the least but it shows you the product

Edit: that link isn't losing too well for me. Sorry, but thats all I could find. It must be very new!
    Thanks for the link!! That product is unknown here.... hopefully some smart thinking petshop will import it!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I'll have to check it out. I've been using the Small Spaces stuff since Staci told us about it, but I'm like you - that "citrusy" smell gets old real quick!

How dusty is the Odor Eaters? Just curious because before I started using the Small Spaces, I was using the Pet Smart brand.....can't think of the name right now. I loved the way it clumped and odor wasn't really an issue becaue the boxes are in the basement. However, we've recently "redone" the basement completely and I could NOT believe the layer of dust over everything! Even things we only put down there 1 - 2 months ago! We have an old fashioned canistor vacuum that I use down there and while I was vacuuming, Terry came down and could not believe the cloud of dust! He told me to get back upstairs until the dust settled down because he didn't want me breathing that stuff! I didn't even realize it, but after he said something I could see it! I know it was coming from the litter because I have one box left that still has that litter in it. I scoop the other boxes and no dust at all. I scoop this box and there is always a cloud of dust - you would think Pig Pen (from Peanuts/Snoopy) was in the box! I will never use that litter again. We spent hours cleaning everything in the basement off - had to be cleaned, dusting wasn't good enough.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll be putting it on my list!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I will try that out if they sell it in Catada,and see if it works as well for the Found Cat Hotel.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Update:
    Still working as great as it did on day one. All the boxes still have no odor and the cats apparently approve. Not one incident of inappropriate peeing since I started to use the Odor Eaters litter.

I finally dumped one whole litterbox and filled it with 100% Odor Eaters. Verdict: its as dusty as all the rest.... VERY heavy and hard to scoop on its own because of the larger granules. As soon as that box goes down a little, I'll be adding some regular cheapo stuff to lighten up the volume (and help save on cost - this stuff IS a bit more expensive).