Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixed Breeds

Mixed Breeds

Just an interesting note that surfaced on another post reference.

While all pups in a litter are obviously half of their mother (obviously - duh), they may not all have the same father. Each pup is a separate ovulated egg (I don't know how common identical twins - split eggs - are in dogs. I've never seen one that appeared as such. Might be a good topic for another post). And depending upon the circumstances, and how much Mom got around (mixed breeds are often strays), there could be littermates who are only related by their MOM - if you know what I mean!
    Last edited by BOBS DAD; 03-06-2006 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typos

So... basically.. mom can get impregnated multiple times by multiple dogs and give birth to all the pups in one litter??

Ehhh I don't think that's possible. I think a litter of pups is created by just one dad and one mother.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    So... basically.. mom can get impregnated multiple times by multiple dogs and give birth to all the pups in one litter??

Ehhh I don't think that's possible. I think a litter of pups is created by just one dad and one mother.
    Nope, sorry, you are wrong Even breeders sometimes have dual-sired litters.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Nope, sorry, you are wrong Even breeders sometimes have dual-sired litters.
    So then... "TECHNICALLY", some littermates wouldn't be the same age (of course we're talking within days here, not weeks obviously) because some would have been fertilized before others??

facebook

Well they're all born on the same day, so they are all the same age. But I guess the ones from the first father are in the womb a few more days than the other little guys. Not really sure how the breeding is done (for breeders anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Well they're all born on the same day, so they are all the same age. But I guess the ones from the first father are in the womb a few more days than the other little guys. Not really sure how the breeding is done (for breeders anyway).
    Oh well I figured they would all be born on the same day, I just meant yeah, in the womb longer lol

facebook

i somewhere read, well it applied to cats, that if a (lets say) siamese female got impregnated by several tabbies, maine coons, persians, and a siamese she could have this mixed breeds and a pure bred siamese due that the father was the same breed as her.................
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

That Is Exactly True

Husky Mom... Same things with dogs. Say a Beagle (my fav) could be impregnated by a good ol' tramp of a scamp and then later by a field champion Beagle. The mother could carry the litter and give birth to maybe 4 Heinz 57 dogs that look just crazy and 5 beautiful black & tan perfect purebred Beagles.

How It Happens

My father bred one of his top gun dogs (Beagle) when I was a kid, with another friend's good Beagle. Both papered. Or so he thought. The dogs were together for a few days and although they never actually saw the act, all indications were that it had occurred. Interestingly enough, the next door neighbor, a 80-ish year old Eastern European immigrant (a very cool guy actually) who spoke broken English, raised and ate rabbits and chickens, eggs and all. Grew grapes and made his own wine - u get the picture) had a very mean curly haired, black as coal dog. Butch... he bit everyone in the neighborhood at least twice (you gotta remember now young folks, the times have changed quite a bit since the 60's). One day, my Dad caught him trying to let Butch in the pen with his dog, cause Louie knew she was in heat and Butch was constantly hanging around and trying to get in the pen. My Dad, of course stopped him and said "No, Louie", "please don't do that". Louie said, "why you don't let him".... My Dad just explained that he didn't want mongrels and that he had already bred her. SO the story goes... he thought that was it and he never saw anything suspicious again. Until his dog gave birth. One (1) beautiful tri-colored Beagle and 6 Black as Coal curly curs. My Dad was soooo mad!!!!

That can't be true???

Can it???

Look here. Go to the bottom and see the first question.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

This can happen for people too, as long as there are two seperate eggs in the uterus-there can be two seperate fathers who fertelized those eggs.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by DIANESDOGS
    Can it???
    Yes it can, and it is.

Copy-pasted from gemini's link:

Q: Is it possible for one litter to contain puppies from two different male dogs?
    A: This is possible. Although each ovule can only be fertilized once, in each heat stage a lot of ovules mature, which is why it is possible for a female dog to become impregnated from several different male dogs if she has copulated with more than one. If you are intending for your female dog to become impregnated, it will be necessary to keep the dog away from other dogs until the heat stage has completely ended.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Oh, wow I never knew that!!

I believe it. It can happen with rabbits, so why not dogs? I think it's kind of irresponsible if people do that, though.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Oh, wow I never knew that!!

I believe it. It can happen with rabbits, so why not dogs? I think it's kind of irresponsible if people do that, though.
    For mixed breed dogs and purebreds that aren't breeding quality, yes.

But most breeders do it for a good reason. If their bitch has already had two litters and they want this to be the last one, yet they have found two studs who equally balance out her faults, then they could both be bred to her this time since it will be her last litter.