Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mistake!

My mistake!

I made the mistake of going to the Toledo Human Society and look at the dog I found. She could be Sadie's sister! (Literally...right, mix, right age....) Now I want her!!!

What a beauty....go for it...just don't tell your husband until you get her home and he will fall in love and go for it! lol J/K. Let us know what you decide.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Let me make it easier on you. *I'LL* go to the shelter and adopt that beautiful baby!!!!!!!!!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Aly, you keep threatening to come up north, but we have yet to see you...what's up with that?? lol

Originally posted by mugsy
    What a beauty....go for it...just don't tell your husband until you get her home and he will fall in love and go for it! lol J/K. Let us know what you decide.
    He's our of town this week, so I would even have a few days to get her used to the place before he got home....for so many reasons though, I just can't do it.

I sent to pic to my mom and sis. They are always saying they want Sadie, maybe this could be a close second!

The shelter she is at is a kill shelter. I tried to call tonight and get more info, but they had already closed. I will try tomorrow and see what her status is. Even though I don't think I can take her, I am hoping to help make sure she doesn't get put down. We'll see what happens!

Two dogs are good. I think they need the company.

Kill shelters are bad. I know that Thursday was kill day at Killian and Shiloh's shelter. If you visited on Monday, by Friday many of the older dogs that you saw on Monday would be gone. So extremely sad. One time that I visited, there were NO dogs over the age of 1 1/2. Coincidence? NOPE. That broke my heart. Killian was 2 1/2 and on death row. Thank goodness I got there in time!!

OK, now I'm depressed just thinking about those poor dogs...

Originally posted by Sudilar
    Two dogs are good. I think they need the company.
    I agree, two dogs are good...and I have two! This would be #3! We really have too small of a house/yard for three dogs and we are gone a lot! I just don't think it would be fair to get another dog.

I really want to save Cutie though, and I am going to see if I can get her tranfered to a no-kill shelter if I pay for some of her care until she is adopted. The Humane Society opens at 10am (in about an hour) so we'll see what I find out!

I am confused now. On pet finder the write up about Cutie says she is good with other dogs. when I called, they said she is not. If she isn't, that pretty much elimnates anyone I thought I could talk into getting her...

The HUmane Society is across the street from where I work, so I may go see her tomorrow and see in person what the deal is.

The shelter I adopted Duncan from told me that he wasnt' good with other dogs either and that I couldn't have him because my roommate had a dog. I kept pushing the issue with them however and even brought Jack in to the shelter to meet Duncan. They were fine together! Turns out they were basing their "opinion" that he wasn't good with dogs on the fact that every time they took him out of his cage, which was the last one in a long hallway with about 20 cages of large dogs on both sides, he would lunge and bark at the dogs in the cages! Well, they were all lunging and barking in the cages at him in the hallway! And he had been there a month in that back cage and was probably scared, excited, nervous, all sorts of emotions...
    So check it our for yourself. Don't just take their word for it. And hey, all dogs can change with the right home and TLC right!

I agree with Jennifer. It confounds me how a shelter can accurately evalutate "dog aggression" in that environment: A dog that is frightenend, surrounded by strangers and many other barking, frightened dogs!! Our shelter does a very thorough temperment evaluation in a quiet, outdoor setting, far away from the shelter grounds. Another "known" non aggressive dog is brought into the play yard to meet and greet. Sometimes I think these kill shelters deliberately set the "standard" so high as to justify, well, you know. I hope you can get Cutie out of there!! What a beauty. Up here in Mass. they have a breed classification all their own. We call them a "Cape Cod Black Dog." We're keeping all paws crossed that Cutie will find a forever home.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I agree. Unless the dog is fostered out or tested as Sandra suggested, you can't know for sure if they are really dog aggressive. They act totally different in a crowded shelter than in a home. They are traumatized in that environment of dog smells, loneliness and sometimes death.

Yes, Sue, there in lies the irony! We bring already frightened, lonely, creatures into a place teeming with the stench of fear and uncertainty, then hand them the ultimate punnishment for responding as any sentient, feeling animal or human would. How your previous reply made me cry, Sue. Just like that, right on schedule. Here one day, gone the next. My greatest wish is that some day, somehow, this ritual of horror might end.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I didn't make it to the Humane Society today to check on Cutie, but I did stop at a adoption event at Petco on my way home. They had the cutest 4 month old siberian husky mix who had been surrendered by his owner because he bites....tell me what 4 month old puppy doesn't??? Hello, it is called training!!! Sorry, just makes me mad!!!! I hope he finds a good home soon!!!

Cincy - I swear I'll never understand the human animal I've never met a puppy who didn't bite - WHAT A JOKE!!! and pee on the rug for that matter.

Purrley, some people just aren't bright enough to own a dog (actually MOST people aren't!). The number of stupid people out there simply amaze me. I think people just expect that the dog come housebroken and have no puppy habits, but be cute as a puppy...not like 2 legged babies have any of that done when they come home.

Ok, I'm done now. CM...any news???