PDA

View Full Version : I Got Bit By A Dog!

elizabethann
02-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Yep. And boy do my fingers my hurt! I've never been bit by a dog before. Thank God it was a poodle and not a bigger breed or I wouldn't have any fingers left! And thank God this dog didn't hurt Fenway or I'd be very sad (and mad). I spent 2 hours in the emergency room. No stitches, but a huge chunk of skin is missing and I have 2 puncture wounds.

I'm house/dog sitting and went into the house and the dog was just sitting there - didn't look happy. Fenway went over and sniffed him and he didn't do anything so I went over and gave him my fist - he was fine. Then I went to pat him and OUCH!!! I was crying and there was blood everywhere. I should have known not to go near this dog. I'm such an idiot! I wish I could turn back time.

So for the duration of my house/dog sitting, my sister has Fenway. I was afraid this dog would turn on Fenway.

After my 2 hours at the emergency room, I went back to the house and this dog was completely different. He sleeps with me, licks me, sits on my lap, plays with me. I'm thinking he wasn't happy Fenway was in his space and that's why he bit me.

I'll tell you, I never want to be bit by a dog again. It hurts! I can barely type this because my fingers are killing me. I'm on some medicine for a week. It looks like the wounds are healing okay.

So that was my exciting weekend. I miss Fenway. I wont' be seeing him until Wednesday.

Has anybody else been bitten by a dog?

Ginger's Mom
02-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear that. And sorry to hear that you won't be able to see Fenway until Wednesday.
Yes, I was bitten by a dog when I was about 7 years old. I was playing dolls in a friend's yard, when the people next door to them let their dog out (the dog was known to bite). Anyway, he came out, ran right to the fence and promptly bit me on the elbow. I was just a kid at the time, and what I remember most was all of the attention I got after it happened (I liked that :)), but yes it did hurt.

Muddy4paws
02-27-2006, 08:45 AM
I got bitten by a poodle on tuesday last week, he managed to get the skin on the back of my hand! mostly the bites I get from work are warning bites if they show aggression then I mostly muzzle then for my safety and theirs, I feel a whole lot more in control with a muzzle on a dog that bites.

It used to scare the life out of me when a dog snapped to bite but Im pretty used to reading the signs now so touch wood I wouldnt get bitten too bad!

finn's mom
02-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I got bitten once by my ex-husband's sister's Sheltie. He was just over protective of her and I went down to scratch my ankle or something and I was close to Donella. Scooter tore into my hand, it was bad. He wasn't well trained and bit several people.

I also just recently got bit my my niece's Dachshund. Those dogs, man, I love them. But, it bothers me when people don't train them. I hate that people train big dogs, but, a lot of times don't even bother with little ones, simply because they're small. I reached under the bed to get something and I guess I got too close to something Peanut had, and, he must have growled hysterically at me for a good five minutes after he bit me. Then he bit my leg through my jeans as I was leaving. It was bad.

prechrswife
02-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I was bitten once as a child. I think I was about 4 or so. The dog bit me on the leg, but thankfully I was wearing jeans and boots at the time. It is really amazing that I didn't develop a serious fear of dogs, considering how young I was.

Roxyluvsme13
02-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Ow! Lily bites me all the time when she's playing, but not in a really "aggressive" way. Our Dachshund we used to have had serious agression problems and he bit me a BUNCH of times. I'm sorry you dont get to see Fenway till Wednesday, and I hope you feel better. :)

ParNone
02-27-2006, 09:26 AM
I got nailed by Maddie once. Oz was still a young pup and was pestering her. I reached over to push him away from her, at the exact moment that she decided to correct him. She was blind and nailed me in the hand vs him. Didn't break the skin, but yeh it did smart. She was extremely apologetic, because she'd never intentionally hurt a person, especially me.

After that I decided she was more than capable of correcting Oz without my interference. The next time he pestered her, I stayed out of it. She nailed him. He got the message. Problem solved.

Par...

dab_20
02-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I hope your fingers feel better soon!!

I was bit in the face by my RB Missy quite a few times when I was around 5... probably because she thought I was an annoying brat back then. lol

BitsyNaceyDog
02-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Ouch! Getting bit is no fun, believe me I know.

I've been nipped at several times and I've gotten a few small dog bites, mostly while clipping toenails of dogs at work. I had one semi-bad dog bite, a bichon ran and lunged at me (I was about 4 feet away) and he bit my ankle. I didn't pass out, but I was really really close, all I could do was lay down on the cool tile floor.

I've had a few cat bites, mostly when grooming them. They can bleed pretty good, but don't hurt as bad as other bites.

I've been bite by several rodents, they hurt really badly.

The worst are birds. I've been bit by everything from a finch to a cockatiel to an african grey to an umbrella cockatoo (and much more). I've never bleed more than when I was bit by the umbrella cockatoo.

beeniesmom
02-27-2006, 11:33 AM
OUCH!
I hope you feel better soon.

cyber-sibes
02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Star caught my on the thumb once, I don't think she meant to bite, just warn, but I moved just as she spun around & ended right in her way. She seemed to feel really bad about it. once when she was a puppy she bit my son's nose, because he needed a correction! LOL! He still has a scar.
Hope your fingers fell better soon.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-27-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm so sorry you got bit!! That sounds awful. :( Also, too bad about not getting to see Fenway, but he will definately be happy to see you on Wednesday!

I got bit by a dog when I was 3. I actually remember part of it too! I remember my parents were picking apples and I went over to this dog to pet him, then he bit me. I don't actually remember getting bit, but I still have a large scar on my left wrist from it, so it must have been pretty bad.

IRescue452
02-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Oh boy, I've been bitten so many times.
First I can recall in my life by my aunt's doxie, Princess, the agressive, evil dog that was pts for being too agressive.
Then by Pepper, the family cocker, who was choking on a chicken bone and I had to get it out of her throat. Understandibly she was scared and she tore up my hand real good. I've actually been bitten by Pepper several times, but all understandibly.
Then by a neighborhood hound/shepherd/husky who jumped the fence and grabbed me from the side. I was like 10 at the time. He was eventually pts for agressiveness and having too many bite cases.
Next is my friends labrador who had a neurotic streak, taught me to dislike these overbred dogs.
Our old neighbor's labrador apparently had a thing for sweaters and grabbed my arm. Didn't sink any teeth in but imagine a 100+ pound horse trying to rip your arm off. I didn't trust that dog ever again.
Autumn grabbed me once and realized it was me and let go immediately. I was doing something and I startled her I guess.
There have been other times working with dogs, but nothing too notable. For the most part the bites were understandible, except for the aggressive dogs. If I ever have to work with a labrador I will definately require a muzzle until I decide whether or not the dog has any neurotic streaks.

Alysser
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry! I hope your okay and you feel better soon!

I was bit by a GSD once. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:We were training her and well it was really hot outside. I think between the humidity,flies,and me pulling on the leash she got annoyed.

My Peanuts
02-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Ouch!

I got bit by my then boyfriend's 120 lb Akita in the face. He has Addison's disease and I knew him from a puppy. He was having a bad day sickness wise and I was sitting next to him petting him. He jumped on me, pinned me down and bit the side of my face. It must have been a warning bite because I had some pretty deep puncture wounds, but he could have bit the entire side of my face off. I have punctures from near my temples all the way down to my jaw. They had to put him down because he was suffering too much from the disease. I still love and miss that dog and I'm thankful that he decided to only give me a warning bite.

My Peanuts
02-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh and Morty bite my hand a few months ago. He bit through the tough part and it hurt like heck! No stitches, but that little guy got me good. He bit my mom too. We think it was because he was still adjusting to us and because my live in cousin went away from school. They used to spend a lot of time together and I could tell he missed her. Morty hasn't bit anyone since then, but we are still careful with him.

.sarah
02-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Oh man, that sounds awful!

I was bitten numerous times while I worked at a vet, but nothing to require trips to the doctor. The worst bite I've ever had was from an old, crotchety, aggressive Labrador. I had to give her pills and she did not appreciate it! My hand was torn up, but I was already on antibiotics and so I didn't want to go to the doctor. I just kept a close eye on it.

I've been bitten more by little dogs than by big dogs, but the little dogs hardly broke my skin if even. I've been bitten mostly by cats ... probably 4x as many cats as I have dogs. Lots of cats just are not friendly when they're caged at a vet.

K9karen
02-28-2006, 01:04 AM
i vaguely remember being bit on the nose by a neighbor's dog when I was around 6 y.o. I think I was overpetting him and didn't of course know that his gutteral growl meant "enough" so he snapped and punctured my nose.
When Cody was growing, I was accidently bitten 2x, both times only because he was way faster than me at grabbing for his tennis balls. Both times I didn't take very good care, and developed blood poisoning and had finger splints and a sling.
Logan is very vocal and will warn when she's upset and will show her teeth, but has never bitten.

Vette
02-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Oh my word :eek:

my mom was bit by Kirby once. but luckily it wasnt very bad. she had a puncher on her finger tip and it bruised her finger nail.

so far none of the rest of us have been bit. *knocks on wood*
and all paws and fingers crossed that you continue to heal without any infection.

*huggies*

vinjashira
02-28-2006, 09:16 AM
sorry you got bit :( I hope you get better soon

I've only been bit by my own dogs but they were playful bites so not the same.

wolf_Q
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Ouch!! I hope your hand gets feeling better! Fenway will be glad to see you.

I've been bitten by dogs a few times at work. Nothing more than scraping the skin and a little blood though, no puncture wounds. All by small dogs except the large dog that bit me in the face, and I have to say that really shook me up (even though it was not a bad bite). The worst bite I had was by a cat recently.....oh my gosh that hurt so bad I felt like I was going to pass out, it was a deep bite, but just on my finger luckily.

animal_rescue
02-28-2006, 07:23 PM
I've been bit a couple of times, mostly cats and birds than dogs, but the 2 of the bites I do remember were by my dogs and 1 by a dog we were dogsitting.

When I was 7 I was attacked by our pit bull(honestly I don't even remember it) but I had my nose pretty much ripped off and all I have to show for it now is a small scar beside my nose. But, from what I remember I was sitting on a bed staring into the dog's eyes and he bit me from what I was told I was outside messing with his food bowl while he was eating. Either way my parents weren't home and I was being baby-sat. The weird thing is the only thing I really remember is lieing on my neighbor's table and my neighbor's daughter was staring at me and saying Hi Megan. This dog was horribly abused before we got him, once he actually chased his old owners onto a car trying to get at them.

Then when I was 11 my RB Simon, a german shepherd, bit me when I was trying to grab him from fighting a foster dog we had. She was trying to play with him and he didn't want to so I went to grab his collar and he bit me. I think he thought I was the dog. But, he immediatly was sorry he layed down when I started crying and looked extremely guilty! He bit right through my thumb nail though, OUCH... he was forgiven quickly by me though, it was an accident. I know better than to try and stop a dog fight that way now.

Then I don't know how old but we were watching the neighbor's min poodle and I was on my knees petting him and I still have no clue how but he caught me off balanced pushed me on the ground and bit my hand. He's a grouchy old thing, because his owners spoil him, he's nicer now that he's older though.

sammy101
02-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I've never been bitten by a dog,but i've ben snapped at a few times.My kids have 'playful' bites though,not hard at all. I've only been bitten by cats and those hurt :eek:

k9krazee
02-28-2006, 07:41 PM
OUCH! Hope you're feeling better!!!

Jack actually bit me the other day :eek: But we were wrestling and we got a bit carried away...he bit my arm and left a big ol' bruise! It hurt!

But other than him, and other playing dogs, I haven't been bit!

dappledoxie
03-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Owy! Bites do hurt, a lot. I hope you feel better soon.

I've been bitten a few times, the worst was from a very scared cat who bit my hand. It hurt for a couple days.