PDA

View Full Version : is grapes safe?

Flatcoatluver
02-26-2006, 08:49 PM
t.j loves grapes and are they compleatly safe?

.sarah
02-26-2006, 08:52 PM
No, there is something in them that can lead to kidney disease. It's like chocolate though, you have to feed a lot at once for it to affect the dog.

Vela
02-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Actually that isn't completely true that it's like chocolate, grapes and moreso raisins, can be toxic in different quantities depending on the dog. Some dogs can die from quite small quantities depending on the dog and if it has any underlying unknown possible problems excreting the cyanide. It is also not known if the effects are cumulative over time.

Onions, grapes/raisins, avocados, the pits of fruits (especially large ones like peach or mango pits, but even apple seeds contain small amounts of cyanide).

http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/a/poison_food.htm

beeniesmom
02-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Yes, Grapes and raisins ARE TOXIC to dogs, even in small amounts.

Flatcoatluver
02-27-2006, 11:52 AM
oh crap. ok yeah I fed like 6 to t.j last night thanks so much

.sarah
02-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Actually that isn't completely true that it's like chocolate, grapes and moreso raisins, can be toxic in different quantities depending on the dog. Some dogs can die from quite small quantities depending on the dog and if it has any underlying unknown possible problems excreting the cyanide. It is also not known if the effects are cumulative over time.

Onions, grapes/raisins, avocados, the pits of fruits (especially large ones like peach or mango pits, but even apple seeds contain small amounts of cyanide).

http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/a/poison_food.htm
Thanks for correcting me. I don't know a whole lot about why things are poisonous to dogs, I just know what not to feed and I avoid it ;)

beeniesmom
02-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Try giving TJ apple slices!
They are good for them and they love them too usually or carrot sticks.

k9krazee
02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Baby carrots are a HUGE hit at my house :D

.sarah
02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah, apples are good as long as you take out the seeds.

My girls love apples, carrots, sweet potatos, green beans, broccoli, bananas, etc. etc. They'll eat just about anything.

Jessika
02-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeah, apples are good as long as you take out the seeds.

My girls love apples, carrots, sweet potatos, green beans, broccoli, bananas, etc. etc. They'll eat just about anything.

Yeah except Jamie and Charlie have eaten apples whole before... not like ten at once though, just like.. once a month they'd done it in the past. BUT yes, mine LOVE apples!! So do I though, so I find it hard to give them one because I love them so much myself haha

VTJess03
02-27-2006, 08:08 PM
lol. And I thought my dogs were weird :p because they like fruit/vegetables (tomatoes especially, then cucumbers, squash, carrots, apples, and a lot of the others already mentioned).

Anita Cholaine
02-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Anita loves almost every fruit and vegetable...

From what I know, grapes,raisins and bananas are bad for dogs, and I also heard that melons and watermelons are not good. I think that oranges are also bad, but my mum won't stop giving Anita them. :rolleyes: At least she gives her very small pieces, but I'd like to know if they are bad... Anybody knows??

Anita loves tomatoes, carrots, pumpkin, APPLES (something she can go crazy for) and peaches, although we never give her because we love them too much :D