PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for clean cat home?

sirrahbed
02-26-2006, 11:16 AM
OK, I am confessed clean freak :rolleyes: It is impossible, of course, with six cats around - but I am looking for hints and ideas.

Vacuum cleaner? I would like to have a Dyson but they are expensive ($500+) - maybe someday. I try to vacuum every few days...

Dusting? every few days with a swiffer cloth

Furniture? am looking for a sofa and considering microfiber which seems to be a winning fabric for cat owners. we have two leather recliners and yes they are scratched but are durable and look great. I think a lighter leather may have been a good idea..

Air filters? constantly gets clogged with litter dust and hair - needs to be changed at least monthly

Litterbox room? using Freshstep scoopable and love it for odor, but the room gets dusty EVERYDAY. this room is currently the laundry room and hubby just installed a cat flap so it can stay closed off to contain the dust.

Odor? I love the Oust fans and have them in the litterbox room. my favorite air fresher spray is Febreze, and I use several electric plugins throughout the house.

oh and I have lint rollers throughout the house for clothing, quick furniture cleanups, coats, etc...

So, do you guys have any cleaning ideas for me?? :D The cats DO own the house and everything we do is with them in mind. But, I do have this clean streak that is part of me :p

moosmom
02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
I tried the Dyson Animal vacuum the other night at work because ours was broken. That thing ROCKS!!! It'd suck the paint off the walls. I wish I could afford it though. It's somewhere around $549. For that price it should do it on it's own weekly!!!

sirrahbed
02-26-2006, 01:18 PM
I tried the Dyson Animal vacuum the other night at work because ours was broken. That thing ROCKS!!! It'd suck the paint off the walls. I wish I could afford it though. It's somewhere around $549. For that price it should do it on it's own weekly!!!

I would also love to have one, Donna. It is something I am saving towards. I think it would be a good investment for us as it would make our carpeting last longer - and also feed my cleaning obsession :o Not really sure I can actually part with money, though. I looked at the regular Dyson - not the Animal. I will look and compare. Thanks for the input.

jenluckenbach
02-26-2006, 01:52 PM
The only thing I can truley suggest, is a blindfold, for you. :p (LOL)

sirrahbed
02-26-2006, 02:00 PM
The only thing I can truley suggest, is a blindfold, for you. :p (LOL)

I KNEW that someone would suggest this!! :D

Kfamr
02-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure what grooming you do on your cats but I know weekly grooming sessions with my dogs (and my brother's cats when they lived here) greatly reduced the amount of fur in our house.
Brushing your cats more often, and then vacuuming afterwards may help a lot.

Corinna
02-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Howabout a nice long walk like to my house.

Catty1
02-26-2006, 03:28 PM
I use a higher density sponge that is made for taking fur and hair off fabric. I don't know what it's called - I found it at my local hardware store. It "rolls" the fur up into easy to grab clumps.

Grooming is definitely a help. If you have long-haired babies, consider getting them semi-shaved every so often.

I've been thinking of getting a Swiffer myself. Sweeping and damp mopping all in one.

For dusting - a magnetic duster.

And I got rid of my clumping litter because of all the dust. There is one - in Canada anyway - called Maxx Cat with a urine deodorizer, and NO DUST. The urine evaporates fairly well; and I wouldn't go back to the dusty clumping stuff for love or money! Not sure it's good for the cats either.

Good luck!

Catty1

Lizzie
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM
I hated the greyish dust that seemed to move through the entire house when I used any kind of clay-based litter, and even the very fine newspaper litter. I switched to SwheatScoop and there is barely any dust at all. It's made a big difference to the amount of dust collecting on surfaces and I can now leave my towels on the shelves outside the bathroom near the litter room. It's not perfect, I doubt if any cat litter will satisfy cats and humans completely. Although it's quite fine, the granules are a bit bulkier than the clumping litter and it does track more. Since you vacuum every other day, this shouldn't be a problem. I also find that the cats are less likely to cover poop since they don't like digging in it - but you have fans in the room so that should take care of that. You probably, like most of us here, clean the litter room a couple of times a day so the poop is scooped away pretty quickly. There is no urine odor at all, even after they've just peed. Although it does clump, the granules don't soak up as much urine as clay based clumping litter, so you use more litter and there is more to scoop away. I feel this litter is best for the cat's and my health, and best for the house.

I have a Miele vacuum cleaner, the one that picks up cat fur really well. It was one of the home improvement purchases I made when I took out a home equity loan last year, a real investment and worth every penny. When I switch to my old Hoover downstairs, even though it's a good one, the difference is dramatic - I have to work over the surfaces with that one.

I liked moosmom's suggestion since I wear a "virtual" blindfold all the time.

CathyBogart
02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
I use white vinegar to clean all the flat/hard surfaces in my house. Even with just one kitty, there was always a bit of kitty perfume at my parents' house and this seemed to help a lot, not really sure why. :) White vinegar is great for cleaning glass too!

catmandu
02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
The Hardest thing to control in The Found Cat Hotel is all the litter that ends up on the fllor,especially now that there are Kittens doing a lot of digging.
I used the Swiffer Wet and dry quite a bit as that helps as much as possible to keep things clean.

jazzcat
02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Debbie - I just bought a Dyson this past week. It arrived Friday and I'm in love with it so far - except is sucks so hard it doesn't work well on my area rug or throw rugs when the beater brush is going and I need it to get the hair up. It will suck those rugs up into the vacuum unless I set it on the bare floor setting. Anyway, I got it refurbished on Amazon for a lot cheaper than full price. So far I'm impressed with it but Richard isn't since it didn't work well on the are rug in the den (I'm not surprised because online reviews stated this was a problem.) I would highly recommend it for anyone with mostly carpeted floors without lots of area or throw rugs.

I like how it did on the furniture too. The animal tool or mini turbine tool as it's called did a great job getting the hair off the cat beds and cat trees.

christa
02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Debbie! :)

I am also a clean freak, even with 2 cats I can't stand the litter dust, litter on the floor and cat hair everywhere. (sorry guys)

As you all know, Josie is my Asthma baby and I am trying every way possible to make her life better.

I haven't got it yet (it should arrive in the next few days), but I just recently ordered an Ionic Air Cleaner and Freshener with Light by Air Innovations (http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FisItemNumberRedirect.as p&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&CLASSLEVEL=&cm_re=PAGE-_-SEARCH-_-SEARCH&txtDesc=V22036&SearchClass=) from QVC. I plan to put it in our office, AKA The Cat's Room, where the litter box is and our major litter dust problem exists. I hope that it will cut down on the dust problem and may cut down Josie's asthma attacks. It's supposed to clean the air too, leaving it smelling fresh, so I'm hoping that I won't have to use so many air freshners anymore. (they scare me - fire hazard!)

I would LOVE to have a new vacuum. My mom just bought a new Oreck and she loves it. I've played with it and it's so light weight, which I think I'd love because I do have some back problems. But the suction is great!

I did buy myself a new Bissell SpotBot back before Christmas. I was just so sick of cleaning up vomit! It has been a GodSend! I love that machine! That is the best money I've spent on a cleaning machine! I love that thing! Turn it on and leave the room and ta da! Done!

Of course there's the lint rollers & the swiffer cloths.

I am also planning to look for a new couch this year. I am surprised that so many cat people are opting for microfiber. I always figured that the microfiber would be like a magnet for the cat hair! Is it not?

Pam
02-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Debbie! :)

I am also planning to look for a new couch this year. I am surprised that so many cat people are opting for microfiber. I always figured that the microfiber would be like a magnet for the cat hair! Is it not?

I bought new living room furniture about three months ago and had also looked at microfiber. Actually at two of the stores I went to the sales people told me it was virtually impossible to get cat hair off of it because it is like a magnet and the hair becomes one with the fabric. :eek: I opted to go with a woven fabric for that reason.

I have one large litterbox in the basement. It is actually one of those *under the bed* plastic storage boxes. I have a plug-in down there but other than that and simple vacuuming I don't worry too much about dirt and/or odor. I have furniture throws on my sofas which help to protect the furniture from cat hair, hacked up hairballs (Trevor chooses to do this on furniture or the kitchen table :rolleyes: ) and doggie feet that may be less than clean after romping around outside.

Donnaj4962
02-27-2006, 09:40 AM
I don't have any tried and true "cleaning miracles" for those of us with kitties! I just try to look the other way and know that the house looks "lived in"!!!! :rolleyes:

I do have a caution for you though about your plugins that you stated you use. I have recently come across some emails and articles about these things causing fires since they get so hot in the outlets! PLEASE, be careful! I have not ever used them, but I know that there have been some concerns with them causing devastating house fires. :eek: I just wanted you to know about this.... but I don't want you to think that I am an alarmist! Just use caution. Donna

K & L
02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Debbie
Like you, I’m a clean freak and with 24 cats that’s about all I do! I bought both of these products and they’re wonderful.
http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p17910731-k24-g4-~battery+swivel+vacuums-nover?sourceid=3
http://www.dirtdevil.com/Products/productDetail.aspx?id=12513

I don’t know how I managed without the dirt devil hand vac. It’s great! And the swivel vacuum is great for fast cleanups (not for large projects).

I also have the swiffer floor dusters, and the swiffer hand dusters. I vacuum on a daily basis and use my attachments all the time. Luckily we have laminate floors so if there’s an accident it’s easy clean-up (although they seem to head for the area rugs all the time). I also keep Lysol kitchen spray cleaner and wipe my counters down every time I prepare anything. It’s a constant battle, but I hear all the time how clean my house is and no one would know I even have one cat in there. We also have a couple litter boxes in a closet we emptied out and keep one side of the doors open. I put a closet deodorizer in there.

mruffruff
02-27-2006, 11:55 AM
With 12 cats and 3 dogs, I've learned to lower my standards a little. My daughter still thinks I'm a clean freak.

I use a cheap, dusty litter, but the dust stays mainly in the cat room where the litter is. I dust once a week and turn the lights down the rest of the time. I pulled up the carpeting in all of the rooms except (of course) the cat room and den. The den is due for laminate installation next month. I have large area rugs in the bedroom/sitting room and livingroom. The sofas have cotton slipcovers that I wash about once a month. The chairs are velveteen (?) and hair wipes off with a damp terry cloth.

I use a Sanitaire Commercial vacuum and a sponge mop once a week; but I do have one of the swivel vacuums that Lisa (K&L) has for in-between pick ups. All of the curtains and drapes are washable and are taken down as needed. Rarely dusted, just swatted occasionally. :rolleyes:

I'd like to try the pine pellets litter but with 11 or twelve litter boxes, I'd have to take out a loan.

I try not to eat off the floor and I make sure I wear shoes most of the time.

Since no one is going to get a crewcut, I'll live with a slightly hairy house.

Don Juan's mom
02-27-2006, 05:30 PM
My parents gave me a Pet Hair Magnet (TM) for Christmas. It's a yellow squeegee-type thing that dug up hair that Don Juan left in the living-room carpet the day we moved in. :eek: Great big rolls of hair! :eek: :eek: I don't know where they found it, but I think it might be available online. And, given that it was a gift from my parents, I am 100% certain that the price is right. ;)

Liz

Logan
02-27-2006, 06:15 PM
All you need is at least 3 Golden Retrievers in your house, Debbie, then you wouldn't even notice cat hair! :o LOL!!!!!! I really don't notice cat hair, anymore, just dog hair!!!!! :D

Freckles
02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
My parents gave me a Pet Hair Magnet (TM) for Christmas. I am 100% certain that the price is right. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif
Liz
I picked one up at PetSmart. 10 bucks. Looks like it's going to work! I'll do some more testing Tuesday.

Freckles
02-27-2006, 07:37 PM
My parents gave me a Pet Hair Magnet (TM) for Christmas. I am 100% certain that the price is right. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Liz
I picked one up at Petsmart this afternoon. 10 bucks. Looks like it will really work, but I'll give it a better test Tomorrow.

shais_mom
02-27-2006, 11:59 PM
I recently bought the Dyson and it is well worth the $$.
It's amazing!

And if that doesn't work - drive North until you get to my house and you'll realize that your place is immaculate! ;)

sirrahbed
02-28-2006, 06:37 AM
I recently bought the Dyson and it is well worth the $$.
It's amazing!

And if that doesn't work - drive North until you get to my house and you'll realize that your place is immaculate! ;)

:D haha girl :D
I went around yesterday...cleaning and chuckling about this thread. Being a clean freak is difficult. It comes in waves where sometimes I can dim the lights and wear shoes and all is well. Then, some times everything bugs me and I have to clean and c;ean.

Thank you all for the laughs and the ideas....I know I would love to have that Dyson. It also helps if I keep a stock of Swiffer pads and dustcloths.

One thing I HAVE to check out is that hair magnet thing. Does it look like a dense sponge?? I think I may have it - the one I bought is tan. Works GREAT and I just need to find it or buy this hair magnet :p

Freckles
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
One thing I HAVE to check out is that hair magnet thing. Does it look like a dense sponge?? I think I may have it - the one I bought is tan. Works GREAT and I just need to find it or buy this hair magnet :p
Try a Goodle search for "Pet Hair Magnet". It looks like a window washer squeegee. Blade is 7" wide.

Chris J
03-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Ok Dyson will have a promotion starting the 26th and will end on 4/29/06 with the following tools for free with any Dyson order.

A $84.99 value Free.
http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/Product/230215474.jpg