PDA

View Full Version : Swiffer Wetjet**pls read important**

new mom to a veiled
02-26-2006, 10:31 AM
I got this email from a friend today I thought I would share.........

A friend recently had a neighbor who had to have
their 5-year old German shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely
healthy until a few weeks ago. They had a necropsy done to see what the cause was.

The liver levels were unbelievable,as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house.When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients. (Actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze).

Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own paws , it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.

Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible

Vela
02-26-2006, 10:37 AM
It's not true, has been perpetuated online for several years now. Look it up on Snopes.

BTW a compound one molcule away from antifreeze is an entirely different compound and nothing likeantifreeze.

There are many substances that are one molecule apart where one is dangerous and one is safe.

H2O (Water)
is one molecule from being
H2O2. (Hydrogen Peroxide)

As well as this from the SPCA:

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16054&security=2220&news_iv_ctrl=1400

new mom to a veiled
02-26-2006, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Vela]It's not true, has been perpetuated online for several years now. Look it up on Snopes. [QUOTE]

Good to know............Thanks

joanofark
02-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I believe this was on here years ago when I first joined.... and no it's not true.:) The dog would have to walk around licking the floor EVERY day, ALL day to die from it....

moosmom
02-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Yup, it's one of those myths. What DOES kill animals is anything that has "sol" in the name of the product. It contains an oil that will completely shut down the animals liver and kill it. I USED to use Pine-Sol and cheaper stuff. Now I check labels and only use stuff that is safe for animals and will get my kitchen tile floor clean.

Chica
02-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Vela, thank you for the truth about this? :) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/a81.gif

Lady's Human
02-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Ethylene Glycol, which is antifreeze, IS a molecule, therefore ANY compound can be one molecule away from containing antifreeze.

I think what Vela was trying to say is that water (H2O) is one ATOM away from being Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). :D

Vela
02-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Yes you are correct, I was kind of in a hurry. Lost a good friend yesterday so my mind is rather cluttered. Was just trying to show the difference. Thanks for the correction.

king2005
02-26-2006, 04:47 PM
true or not, swiffer is still a bad product & is banned from this house, alone with stuff for the air :rolleyes:

.sarah
02-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Phew! That really scared me for a minute, but then I remembered how often we swiffered our floors and wondered why it hasn't effected our girls.

Thank God it's false!