PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about your black cats.

jenluckenbach
02-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Many of you might know that (for whatever reason) black cats tend to get overlooked for adoption. But you and I know how utterly wonderful they can be. I would like to do something to boost black cat adoptions at my rescue (One by One).

I was hoping to get short (very short) testimomials from people who have or had black cats telling about their temperament. I will try to compile them into some form that I can use either at adoption events or on our website.

This can be for completely black cats, or for black tuxedo cats (only cats that are mostly black, not mostly white...OK?)

You can write any length story here on this thread but if you would like to be added to my personal compilation, please PM me. make it short, tell me if it is an all black or a tuxie, and sign it with your name (or "so-n-so's mommy) and location (can be just your state or country). Because I want anyone who reads it to know that these are real stories from real people from all over the world.

My example could be this:

My BearBear, was an all black cat who was probably the smartest cat I have ever known. Even in his old age, when he lost 100% vision, he could maneuver the stairs and find his litter box without error.

I know that YOUR stories will be much more interesting. ;)

Now remember, I am only looking for accounts of your BLACK cats. let's make March, adopt a black cat month. :D

catmandu
02-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Its Not Mrach but Tubby 2 has been an Early Easter Treat.
He had to be shown the Litter Box and made to remember what its for.
But he makes a lot fewer mistakes now.
Hes getting a lot better with the Other Found Cats,once he realizes that the Food is never going to completely run out.
Hes becoming a Big Teddy Bear and The Kitten Trio have adopted him,as an honorary Kitten.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/Picture1489.jpg
Tubby 2,the Big Kitten.

Lizzie
02-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Do you want pictures?

I'll certainly send you some testimonials since I've had several, though one was the world's worst sprayer - I'll leave him out. I didn't realize they were overlooked since they are my favourite.

Good work, Jen.

jenluckenbach
02-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Do you want pictures?

I'll certainly send you some testimonials since I've had several, though one was the world's worst sprayer - I'll leave him out. I didn't realize they were overlooked since they are my favourite.

You can place photos on the thread, but I may not be able to use photos for my project. Not sure yet.

Oh yes, please leave the "sprayer" OUT! (LOL)

catmandu
02-25-2006, 06:46 PM
I JUST COULDNT LEAVE OUT MY MR SCRAPPY HERE WITH HIS DEAR FRIEND POUNCER.
FROM 1985 TO POUNCERS PASSING IN 1993 THEY WERE THE LIGHT OF MY LIFE.
THEY WERE SUCH WONDERFUL CATS,AND AFTER THE INITIAL ADJUSTMENT PERIOD WERE AS CLOSE AS TWO CATS COULD BE.
EVERY NIGHT I SAY A PRAYER THAT I WILL SEE MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS AND WE,AND ALL MY ANGELS WILL BE FRIENDS AGAIN.
ONE FINE DAY.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Scan10002.jpg

kimboe
02-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Babe and Meu-Meu, my two black beauties. Babe the oldest is very sweet to her family loves us to dearly, that she even protects us from strangers. Yet, if you give her a couple treats softens up.
Meu-Meu is a silly little critter, she like to play in water and purrs all the time. She even tucks herself in bed with us.They are good kitties and bring joy to our family.
People say the have a bad omen which is obviously not true.
And I have to say the best thing about black cats is that their fur does NOT show on our clothes and coats! Which is a big bonus :)
*edit
Oh, Babe got her name because she will let me hold like a baby and could sleep is my arms cradled for hours...so sweet

Abby&Buddy'sMom
02-25-2006, 07:22 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Helga-G-Pitacky/2-4-04sleepingbeautyabby.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Helga-G-Pitacky/1-1-06abbybellyup.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Helga-G-Pitacky/abbybeautymay2005.jpg

Hi Jen, I included some photos of my sweet "blackie" Abby.
She is an exceptional cat I believe ,as she has an extremely good temperment. She is also so very smart and mindful of everything that goes on in our home. She loves all her people and she actually is our token "watch-cat" as we do not have a dog. She is very alert to what ever may be going on outside, and any strange sounds , vehicles, etc. , she alerts us with her trademark....gggrrrrrr ;) , which sounds like a little siren :) and she then gets a reward (treat) for being such a good kitty.
She is a very sweet , loving and very affectionate girl, as she kisses me constantly, purrs so very loudly because she is so content. She is a wonderful lap kitty , as she also is a wonderful bed (under sheets ;) ) kitty too :)
I can go on for hours about her, but it comes down to this...We all (especially me ) love her very much and I believe she understands this , and in return you can really tell that she also loves us too. She can , and does show emotion despite popular belief that animals cannot. I can see it in her eyes and in her facial expressions. :)

Cataholic
02-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Candidly?

Monte is the absolute WORST cat I have ever known. He is as bold as a mother bear, as strong as an ox, more stealthy than I don't know what, and the biggest bully in the world. He backs down to no one, present company included.

He is the most beautiful cat I have ever known, can be more loving than Cupid, has never lifted a nail towards me (though he did accidently scratch Jonah once), and allows Jonah to lay all over him without a word.

He is the most unique cat, really, but, he is the 'apple that upset the cart'.

Monte, can't live with him, couldn't live without him.

Johanna

jenluckenbach
02-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Candidly?...........

Monte, can't live with him, couldn't live without him.

Johanna

LOL (you won't mind if I don't repeat this one word for word, do you?) I am trying to get the blackies ADOPTED, not tar and feathered. ;)

Cataholic
02-25-2006, 07:45 PM
NOOOOO....I do love that boy, but, he torments my Georgie, and it makes me VERY upset. He is the most splendid cat, really. Kind of like a dog....but, smaller. :p

rosethecopycat
02-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Mr. Jones

Sweet, daddy's boy, happily drooling, eyes of contentment, loyal, good groomer of other cats, talkative, plush. Most human like in the family.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/rosethecopycat/PurrnoMr.jpg

rkidsrcats
02-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Our cat family couldn't function without Percy! He is the most tolerant of all the cats and dogs we've had and actually steps into the middle of any spats between cats and breaks it up. He simply won't put up with any fighting among family members. He's also the most vocal and follows us around in the mornings to make sure all the chores are done before we leave for work. Open the curtains, feed everyone, make the beds, play with the feather toys.... you know what I mean.
But truly, he is a delightful, humorous, loving and animated cat. He's always around us, not aloof, full of personality and kitten playfulness even at the age of six. He has never shown any kind of aggressiveness to any of the kittens we have adopted and has always been mellow and content with everyone. And did I mention that he is very handsome?
http://home.comcast.net/~jphoenix12/percy4.jpg

icedtea
02-25-2006, 11:10 PM
I have 1 black and 1 black and white cat,and they are so funny. They love being with people and love me to bits,even thoughIve only had them for a month.

FE523
02-25-2006, 11:53 PM
FROM NEW YORK STATE...USA..BLACK CATS ARE THE SWEETEST CATS. ONE OF MINE INSISTS I PICK HIM UP LIKE A CHILD WHEN I COME HOME FROM WORK. THE OTHER SAYS GOODNIGHT TO ME WHEN I GO TO BED. HE WILL GET IN BED WITH ME WHEN I DO AND STAY FOR 10 MINUTES TO CHAT. :)
Many of you might know that (for whatever reason) black cats tend to get overlooked for adoption. But you and I know how utterly wonderful they can be. I would like to do something to boost black cat adoptions at my rescue (One by One).

I was hoping to get short (very short) testimomials from people who have or had black cats telling about their temperament. I will try to compile them into some form that I can use either at adoption events or on our website.

This can be for completely black cats, or for black tuxedo cats (only cats that are mostly black, not mostly white...OK?)

You can write any length story here on this thread but if you would like to be added to my personal compilation, please PM me. make it short, tell me if it is an all black or a tuxie, and sign it with your name (or "so-n-so's mommy) and location (can be just your state or country). Because I want anyone who reads it to know that these are real stories from real people from all over the world.

My example could be this:

My BearBear, was an all black cat who was probably the smartest cat I have ever known. Even in his old age, when he lost 100% vision, he could maneuver the stairs and find his litter box without error. Jen Luckenbach (PA)

I know that YOUR stories will be much more interesting. ;)

Now remember, I am only looking for accounts of your BLACK cats. let's make March, adopt a black cat month. :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Bella, my black shorthair, is easily the most beautiful cat I have seen. She's very delicate and quick on her feet. There is nothing more beautiful than a black cat soaking up the sun. She is very quick witted and perky, as well as humorous and loving.

krazyaboutkatz
02-26-2006, 01:52 AM
I've only owned one black cat so far but unfortunately he's no longer with me because he had to be put to sleep due to illness in Feb. 2003. :( My RB Pepper was a wonderful big fuffy black cat. He was at Petco with 4 other kittens and I chose him because he was the friendliest and he was always purring. He and Storm bonded in only 1 hour and became best friends. :) He was a very laid back gentle giant and loved to sit in my lap. He would let me know when it was time for bed by meowing to me and then he'd jump into bed and wait for me. He also had to knead my neck and chest every night and he'd get so excited that he'd drool all over me. He was a big mama's boy and loved being with me. He was only with me for a little over 5 years and I wish that he could've been with me longer but I have many pictures of him and wonderful memories to help me remember him. I'm sure that we'll meet again some day. :)

Here's my RB Pepper:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/8b63c784.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/abfb6c77.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/33cbd9f0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/e68c1cf0.jpg

jenluckenbach
02-26-2006, 06:02 AM
:D Keep the stories coming, they are GREAT!

Read this Lovey Dovey's story (http://www.thebearypatch.com/angelsforanimals.htm) . This just about sums up what I am trying to prove the the population. a very sweet story.

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-26-2006, 07:17 AM
My first cat was an all black boy, named Sydney! He was a very easy cat. He didn't like to sit on our lap, but loved to give us leg-rubs whenever we saw us. I am so sorry that he didn't live very long :(
This is Sydney
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/sydney%20op%20poef.jpg

We also have a tuxedo now, Zazou. Of all 4 our cats, she is the sweetest !! She LOVES to cuddle, to play, to give you headbumpies, and wake you up with kissies!
Zazou
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/dancing%20queen.jpg

Oh yes, I defenitely love blackies!!!! I will never understand why some people refuse to adopt a black cat :confused: :confused: . When we got Sydney, there was still a grey tabby girl, but I wanted the blackie!!

Sydney with his meomie and 2 sisters
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/FirstSyd1.jpg

smokey the elder
02-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Diamond is a former feral who adopted me in the summer of 2000. She has turned into a mush and is one of the few cats in my house who will go up to strangers.

Diva is my CH (cerebellar hypoplasia) kitty and will also go up to anyone. She is also super sweet.

Bubba is the biggest mush in the world. He's a nine year old from Long Island that I failed fostering on about a year ago.

Tictac is Diamond's son from before she adopted me. He's the biggest mama's boy, and gives "bulldozer" head bumpies (he weighs 18 lbs and is not fat.)

Ebony is a 15 year old long haired giant that I adopted from my mom. He is the newest to the "herd" but is fitting in nicely.

Pink Nose is a tuxedo, cancer survivor, and another failed foster. He is often found with Bubba on my or my SO's lap.

k9krazee
02-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I have two Blackies, Batman and Motchka. I took in these girls along with their brothers with intent to find homes for them all. The boys found wonderful homes but I could not part with my sweet black beauties. Even though I never pictured myself owning a black cat these girls have completely stolen my heart. Batman loves to climb onto your shoulders and lick your ears or give headbumpies, she also gives great big bear hugs! She is definately my computer buddy, if I'm on the computer shes on my lap or shoulders watching everything that I do. Motchka is also an awesome cat. She loves to be cuddled and coddled. She is my bed buddy, she sleeps wrapped around my neck at night and is also the official greeter when new people come over. I love my Blackies and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world!!

catfamily
02-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I have owned many cats of all colors and shapes.For some reason,the ALL black cats I have, and had in the past were the most loveable and smartest.They seem to get so attached to people right away and stay loyal no matter what till the end.They get so attached to humans that they get devistated without them.All my blacks needed to snuggle with me or my husband.I feel that there is something very different and special about black cats.They seem to have human sensitivity more than the others and want to be with a person more than play with other cats.I really feel black cats are very different and should be highly respected.

catfamily
02-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Jen
If you need to re word that or anything like that...that's fine with me.
I hope it's a good one.And I really mean what I say about Black cats.They ARE very different.Very special.I don't understand why either.

orangemm
02-26-2006, 02:45 PM
My RB Mikey (all black with 2 white hairs on his chest) was such a lover; he couldn't get enough attention. I found him in a pet shop many years ago. He was the mouthiest one of a new litter they had received and I told my husband about him. We already had 2 cats, but one evening Jeff came home with a stupid grin on his face and a distinctive bulge in his shirt! It was our Mikey. He was ravenous that first day; when we got him to the vet, we found out why. He had worms and his little belly was so bloated. However, with treatment, he bounced back and seemed fine.

He did have problems with urinary blockages and we had him at the vet's many times. Finally the vet told us that he needed surgery to correct it (I can't remember the name, but I think it removed his penis and enlarged the opening). It was a pretty new procedure and we had to scrape together the $$ for it, but it was the best money we ever spent.

After that he was fine. He loved sleeping with us (usually on my head) and was such a loving part of the family. He was extremely tolerant for a cat; I never heard him hiss or growl ONCE. We could clip his nails and he wouldn't wriggle or struggle, he didn't mind being bathed, and he was a lap cat.

We had him for 17 years and it was so difficult for us to let him go. I miss him, even though it's been almost 10 years since he went to the RB.

Mikey, I loved you with all my heart.

In fact, I hope my next cat is a blackie.

jazzcat
02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
My Jazz kitty is the first cat to make me understand what being a cat lover means. Yes, I owned Ripley first for more than 10 years before Jazz came along but Jazz is the one who showed me what it feels like to be owned and loved by a cat. She is sweet, smart and mellow. She is soft, silky and huggable. She's the reason I now share my home with five cats.

There is nothing quite like a black kitty!

krazyaboutkatz
02-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I have owned many cats of all colors and shapes.For some reason,the ALL black cats I have, and had in the past were the most loveable and smartest.They seem to get so attached to people right away and stay loyal no matter what till the end.They get so attached to humans that they get devistated without them.All my blacks needed to snuggle with me or my husband.I feel that there is something very different and special about black cats.They seem to have human sensitivity more than the others and want to be with a person more than play with other cats.I really feel black cats are very different and should be highly respected.
Carla O'Donnell
Casco,Maine
[email protected]
I totally agree. :) My RB Pepper preferred to be with me rather than playing and hanging out with the other cats. I sure miss him.:)

Abby&Buddy'sMom
02-27-2006, 08:16 AM
I know that the blackies are often most overlooked, but if you think about it.. why .....the reason is: it is just fur(color) , nothing more. They are not evil or bad luck or anything like that. They were just born with fur that is black. simply that .. just fur..what difference does it make , it is only fur. But I guess for that some people will still overlook them and completely miss the treasure that they are. does this make any sense what I am trying to say?? :confused: I know, because I too was a potential adopter and was strickly looking for a female gray with white mittens...LOL!!! I came home with Abby that day :D Something about her made me want to just take her home that day and I am ever so grateful and thankful I made the right decision to bring her home...she is like a second child of mine (I have 1 real child only :) ) She gets and gives so much love it is hard to describe :) Like I said before in a previous post...I could go on for hours about my precious Abby ;) !

mruffruff
02-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Several years ago, I was sitting on my front porch thinking about some serious problems I was having with one of my dogs. Suddenly there was a small, totally black cat rubbing against my legs. It rolled on it's back and meowed until I reached down to pet it's belly. It immediately jumped on my lap and proceeded to rub it's face against mine.

I tried to find the cat's owners, but never did. The vet informed me that it was a boy, about 9 months old. I named him Blackjack. After the big snip, he decided he was going to make friends with all three dogs. He just walked right up to them and put his nose on each of their noses. The dogs were flabergasted that this little cat was not scared of the big dogs. He was accepted as part of the family right away.

Blackjack slept next to me every night, with a big dog on my other side. He came when I called him. He caught mice for the neighbors and presented them to me. He only got on the countertop once, learning quickly that I didn't want him up there. He never clawed the furniture or sprayed. He was the most loving cat I've ever known, sitting next to me on the couch every night.

Exactly one year later, he got his annual booster shots. The next day he disappeared. No one in the neighborhood saw him and all the searching and signs were to no avail.

I still miss my Blackjack. He was the one who taught me to love cats.

Among the 12 cats I have, 3 are all black and one is tuxedo. I think I'm prejudiced! :D

Don Juan's mom
02-27-2006, 11:09 AM
I've had Zerlina for 9 months now, and the house would be a lot more boring without her. She has taken over "wake up mom" duties from big brother Don Juan, and keeps him from getting fat and lazy with daily stalk-and-chase routines. Zerlina also has a whole vocabulary of meows, mrrows and purrs... and just enough catitude to remind me that I am not the owner. I am the OWNED. :rolleyes: Her very favorite toy is an old shoestring. What's not to love?

When I get home tonight, I'll try to post a pic of her that shows off her cute little white bikini. ;)

Liz

Don Juan's mom
02-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Just show folks this story!!

Black Cat Credited with Saving Owner (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAT_HERO?SITE=NDBIS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

jenluckenbach
02-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Thank you ALL for these wonderful stories. I have put together a 2 page flier and will be handing them out this Sunday at our special ADOPT-A-BLACK-CAT adoption event. My very own fosters Simba and Nova (solid blacks) and TobyGreg (tuxedo) will be showcased with the other blackies from our rescue. Hopefully all your heartfelt words will help to convince a few people that they cannot live without a black cat of their own.

kitten645
02-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Calvin & Hobbes are the sweetest of all the cats I've had in 40 some years :) Not a day goes by the don't make me smile and laugh. They've never had an "accident". They use their kitty condos to scratch. They eat what's given to them and don't beg for people food. Calvin is 10 lbs and Hobbes is 20!! Calvin sleeps on my arm every night and Hobbes sleeps at the bottom of the bed. I wear alot of black clothes and alot of my decor including my sofa is black so other than black dust bunnies roaming the bathroom and kitchen floors they are pretty low maintainance. They are pretty easy going too. I love them more than anything in the world and would ALWAYS adopt a blackie in the future!
Claudia in SF :cool:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/missmeow645/bothboys.jpg

K & L
03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm afraid if I told Mouser's story it wouldn't help your adoptions! :D

jenluckenbach
03-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm afraid if I told Mouser's story it wouldn't help your adoptions! :D

LOL :D

Mouser and Monte can be in the NEXT issue. "Which black cats to avoid!" (LOL)

Laura's Babies
03-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I have to agree with Carla (Catfamilty) about black cats getting attached to people. I have had 3 long term in my lifetime and all three have been the most snuggely, loving lap babies I ever had. Black cats are pretty much like any other cat, they just wear a different colored coat. They bring NO ONE bad luck, especially the owner/servant.

Samantha is my blackie now who was found on my doorstep by a neighbor when I was out of town and took her home to keep. Everytime Samantha was let out, she came to MY door and begged to come in, for 2 years she begged to be mine and finally, we convienced my neighbor to give her up to where she was meant to be. She is the sweeties lap baby and never wants to go out anymore, now that she is where she wants to be. She KNEW and so did I that she was meant to be mine. She is a very smart kitty and learns fast, it took her less than 12 hours to respond to her new name when I gave her the name that fit her once she was mine. Black cats are treated so unfairly for just being born black. Would we even think of considering a person who wore black a evil person?

DJFyrewolf36
03-03-2006, 11:58 PM
So many good stories about black cats! I PMed you Jen, without reading that you didn't need any more stories :p. Eh, at least I can share my story about my two little black fuzzbutts :)

Onyx and Spook are both rescues from the street. I found Spook in November of 2004, right before a nasty snow storm, and Onyx last summer right before we moved. Both of them are the most afectionate cats, and by far a lot more attached to people and attention than Remus is (Remus is kind of a one person cat). They absolutely LOVE getting petted...from just about anyone. I worry when they refuse to let someone pet them, especially Onyx. They've been right about people 99% of the time, they've got much better judgement than I do!

I love my two black cats! Spook is so regal and panther-like, Onyx is more of a clutz but he's adorable at the same time :)

pnance
03-04-2006, 01:29 AM
M.C. may have to much white on him to be useful but I thought I'd post and let you decide.

He has his definate "quirks" but overall he loves attention, lays in your lap and talks up a storm. He's extremely smart and thinks things through. He can open closed doors using the door latch, open cupboards and even slam the door to "his room" when he's mad. He plays fetch and will come when you call. He's happiest laying in your lap purring...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid176/p73493248b2b19307c43e8e568e9bc7dc/f35a4773.jpg

catfamily
03-04-2006, 04:17 AM
M.C. may have to much white on him to be useful but I thought I'd post and let you decide.

He has his definate "quirks" but overall he loves attention, lays in your lap and talks up a storm. He's extremely smart and thinks things through. He can open closed doors using the door latch, open cupboards and even slam the door to "his room" when he's mad. He plays fetch and will come when you call. He's happiest laying in your lap purring...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid176/p73493248b2b19307c43e8e568e9bc7dc/f35a4773.jpg
He sounds like my KiKi 'Angel'. Black and white..mostly black cat.Very smart.Opened closed doors.'using the knob'.flushing toilets,turning faucets on.talking a lot.VERY smart.Blacks and Black and whites'mostly black' are just VERY smart cats.And always came when I called his name.Booboo too always comes when I call his name too'my all black'.

jenluckenbach
03-04-2006, 05:04 AM
MC is GORGEOUS!.

Well, tomorrow is our ADOPT-A-BLACK-CAT adoption event. I will be handing out your stories in the hopes of finding some good families for these cats.

catfamily
03-04-2006, 05:44 AM
MC is GORGEOUS!.

Well, tomorrow is our ADOPT-A-BLACK-CAT adoption event. I will be handing out your stories in the hopes of finding some good families for these cats.
GOOD LUCK!! :D :D :D

pnance
03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
MC is GORGEOUS!.

Thanks! :D

How did the event go?

jenluckenbach
03-07-2006, 05:10 AM
2 blackies got a home. YAY!

K & L
03-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Wonderful news Jen!

lady_zana
03-07-2006, 08:02 AM
I don't have any solid black kitties (yet! - there are two hanging around my apartment I'm trying to tame!) but my sister has two. I can tell you about them and her RB Shadow.

Shadow was the best lapwarmer anyone could ask for. He was a senior cat when adopted but entered into her multicat household with no problems. He cared for the kittens, bathing them and snuggling them at night to keep them warm. His favorite activity was making happy feet on his meowmy all night. Shadow didn't have a mean hair on his body. Though some people may have been scared of him because he was solid black and very large, Shadow was nothing but goodness and a kitten at heart.

Oliver got his name because every time my sister would feed him, he'd say "Please, can I have some more?" Though once a stray, Oliver quickly became tame and very loving. He is famous for his headbumpies; I'm not joking when I say he once gave me so many headbumpies that I almost fell off the bed! Oliver's purr is loud and he is not sparing with it. His favorite activity is to meet his meowmy at the door and tell her all about his day. The moment she sits down on the couch, she can expect the headbumpies to start coming. He always wants to be as close to her as he can be.

Doppelganger (Doppie) knows a good thing when he finds it! My sister saw a black kitten outside her home and opened the door to feed it when it ran inside and simply never left! Doppie is never without a little smile on his face and loves to be packed around like a baby. He's a great lapwarmer. Though not much of a talker, Doppie has a purr that could melt the hardest of hearts. His favorite activies include laying stretched out on top of his meowmy at night and purring while he sleeps.

I hope these helped. I know why some people don't like black cats and I am saddened over this because they are as wonderful kitties as any other color. I only know one black kitty who isn't a sweetheart and that's not because he's black - he'd be a meanie no matter what color he was! :p (I'm working on taming him though! He'll be my friend whether he likes it or not!! :p )

pnance
03-08-2006, 12:22 AM
2 blackies got a home. YAY!

Congrats, that's great news!! :D

Don Juan's mom
03-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Oh, boy, I found out something bad about blackies last night.

They are GREAT at hiding! :eek:

I missed Zerlina for about two hours last night. Couldn't find her in any of her usual places. I even looked outside thinking she could have slipped out (don't know how or when, though).

I knew she was around, because I could hear some scratching.

She'd gotten shut inside a cupboard. Silly kitty. Silly mom, too. :o

Liz

Cat's Meowm
03-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Well, even though this opportunity is over, you might again get a chance to adopt out the black kitties - perhaps Halloween time.
Wilbur is black on black. When he finds the sunniest window and lays still, he has light and dark ,but all black, stripes. (kinda like Flat Black and Metallic Black) But his chest still has long white hairs.
He's not a lap kitty, usually.. One time, Only {story to follow}. He likes to wait till I'm sleeping, than walk all over me [ All over me - sometimes I think I'm getting a mammogram] until finally snuggling by my knees with his face just inches from my arm. When I try to scratch my knees, cause of his whiskers, he grooms my hand. His tongue scritches.
His face is long. He's totally black nose and whiskers. Only about seven pounds. Not from lack of food. His mouth has black spots - if he were a dog he would have a black tongue like a pure-bred Chow (I think).
He's very mouthy. He goes into an empty room and whines so pitiously; when I answer him he gives me the riot act.Comes in the same room and knocks my knick-knacks off my shelf. Watches my re-action, then , I swear, he's laughing.
Wibur has been my only black cat; but compared to other kitties I've owned, these are some of his quirks.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Sorry I couldn't help, Jen. I tried a couple of times to write something and I don't know if it was me or what, but I just couldn't put into words how wonderful black cats can be. I miss mine terribly and hope to add another to my small little family in the future......hopefully not the near future though. ;)

kitten645
03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
you might again get a chance to adopt out the black kitties - perhaps Halloween time.

The SPCA here won't adopt out black cats in Sept because people adopt them as "decoration" for Halloween then abandon them. :mad: I hope this is a common practice. (the NOT adopting not abandoning of course!)
They also strongly suggest keeping outdoor blackies inside during the week before and night of Halloween as "people" have been know to do horrible things to them for fun that night. Sad but true. It's also why my boys are always inside only among all the other reasons. :eek:
Kitten

Cat's Meowm
03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
How horrible. :mad: I never knew *blackies* were sacrificed for stupid Halloween pranks. I've learned something else today on PetTalk.

I take my kitties in back yard; and most of the time they explore and go back inside when I say so. I try to let them get their exploring in before dinner-time, so when I hit the dinner dishes they'll go back in on schedule. One time the Wilbur took off for four hours. I was a Wreck! A Wreck! A nervous, screaming, Wreck.

When he finally decided to come home - I don't know who was happier. He let me pet him all over, and I was able to determine he was not the worse for his adventure. It's been since last summer since that adventure. He's wanting out again; I keep trying to remind him he's better off indoors.

But those black kitties, they can escape when you least expect it.