PDA

View Full Version : Kitties Enjoy My New Homemade CatBeds! (NOW WITH INSTRUCTIONS!)

kimlovescats
02-25-2006, 02:11 PM
I finally learned how to make the cat beds that many on here have been making! My kitties love them!

Katie, Dexter Roxie
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/2fe331d9.jpg

Roxie:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/6819a9f5.jpg

Katie:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/cf62305c.jpg

Dexter:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/a3171b79.jpg

Pava:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/0446f68c.jpg

Bonnie:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/ed696a8e.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
02-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Great pictures. I'm glad that they like them. :) My cats love theirs too. :)

kb2yjx
02-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi Kim!! You really did a great job on the beds!! Beds EXACTLY like yours were selling at the cat show I went to today for $18/bed!!! I'd order a bed from you anyday!!!

rg_girlca
02-25-2006, 02:30 PM
What a fabulous job you did on those cat beds Kim. :) I love the patterns and the way each cat has claimed a bed as their own. How adorable they all look.

Great pictures. :D

icedtea
02-25-2006, 03:53 PM
what a greatjob. they love those beds.

catmandu
02-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Who Would Not Love Those Beds.
I Jsut Wish That I Was There,so I Could Curl Up On The Couch Beside Them.
What A Great Meowmie You Are To Make All Those Beds For Them.

chocolatepuppy
02-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Those beds are really cute, looks like you did a great job! Your kittys are cute as well. :)

QueenScoopalot
02-25-2006, 09:28 PM
MY YOU'VE BEEN BUSY! Great job Kim...sure wish I had the time to make some "kitty condoms" *sigh*! I used to sew all the time, and then I discovered another passion....trapping lol! ;)

kimboe
02-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Oh those kitty beds look really good!
I tried making some for the girls and I had no luck. And I can't seem to find anything on the internet to help with tips to make them.....*sigh....

But,Your beds look awesome and all the kitties obviously Love them...
Good Work ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-26-2006, 07:21 AM
You are a great seamster, Kim !!!!

orangemm
02-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Beautiful job! Looks like they got the "Seal of Approval" from all concerned!

catfamily
02-26-2006, 08:44 AM
You did a beautiful job!!And the cats look like they LOVE them.I wish I could sew.

moosmom
02-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Kim,

I LOVE them!! Do you have a pattern for them?? I don't have a sewing machine but I'm SURE I can hand stitch it. This is my favorite:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/0446f68c.jpg

Kim, you're very talented! I'm sure the kits are greatful!!!

k9krazee
02-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Awesome beds!! And very happy kitties!! I also love the picture that Donna posted :D

heidiv
02-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Kim it really looks like the kittys love there new beds but that Pava is adorable she looks like a sweetheart? I just want to snuggle with her she is beautiful. ;)

Barbara
02-27-2006, 08:53 AM
This weekend I sew a button on my cardigan tat I had not worn for 4 months because of this lacking button (the button was there- it was just too big a project for me to fix it :o ).

So I am standing in awe looking at these purrfect cat beds :)

Sonia59
02-27-2006, 08:59 AM
What nice cat beds! And the cats using them make them even more beautiful! :)

Donnaj4962
02-27-2006, 09:01 AM
WOW! Am I ever impressed! Those beds are great looking, and obviously very comfortable as your "official bed testers" have attested to! ;)

Is there a pattern? Or are you just so creative that you made it up on your own? I would love to make one for my friends' cat, Punkin Raptor Patch! I know he would love it.

Maresche
02-27-2006, 12:13 PM
The colors and patterns are gorgeous. If I were a cat, I'd love to sleep on/in one of those!

kimlovescats
02-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Thank you everyone for the nice comments! I'm sorry that I am just now responding to you ... we have been having days and days of computer issues here! *sigh*

These beds are very easy to make. Actually I just looked (searched) for the pattern that several of our PTers have used (Sirrahbed, Jazzcat, and Laura's Babies) and found that their instructions are completely different from mine. I guess you can do them however you find easiest and still get the same result!

I'll try and type up as easy of an instruction guide as I can .... but will be harder than actually watching me make one (which is how I learned) ... but maybe you can follow it! My beds come out a bit smaller than the others that people here have been making, but as you can see by my pictures, they are still very usable and well-liked! ;)

OK, here are my instructions:

You will need one yard of fabric (45" wide) for the entire bed. ** You won't have any fabric to waste, so you might want to buy a bit over a yard to allow for any boo boos!) You can also use different fabrics for each piece (one for the top ring, one for the bottom of the bed) If you want to do that, then you will need 1/2 yard for each.

Step One:

With fabric folded in half ... cut out an 18" circle for the bottom of the bed. Because the fabric is folded, this will make 2 complete circles.

Step Two:

With fabric folded- cut ON THE FOLDED EDGE, a strip of material that is 10" wide by 13" long. When you open the folded material, you should have a strip that is 26" long. Do this twice to have a total of two of these strips!
These 2 strips will be the tube or top edge of the bed.

Step Three:

Cut an 18" circle of batting and pin between the two fabric circles. (with right sides of the fabric facing out on the top and bottom of the fabric) In other words the pieces will be put together like a hamburger, with the buns facing outwards and the meat being the batting! :p

Sew the 3 pieces together around the outer edge of the circle, leaving a good 1" to 1.5" border on the edge. (In other words, don't sew close to the edge of the fabric, you will need the unsewn border to attach the tube later)

Step Four:

Take the 2 strips of fabric and sew them end to end (both ends) which will make them connected like a large ring. Fold the ring in half lengthwise, with the printed side of the fabric facing towards you ... open edge is facing upwards. Begin stuffing and pinning as you go with poly fiberfill. This is a bit awkward, but once you do it a time or two it will feel more natural! What you are creating is a round, filled tube. (which will looks like a bagel when finished) ;) You will need to use lots of pins to keep it held close for sewing.

Now .... sew along the edge to close the fabric and create your ring. Depending on your preference you might want to remove the arm of your machine ... but it isn't really necessary .. just whatever is easiest for you to work with!

Step Five:

Take your fabric circle and turn it bottom side up. (just decide which side is least attractive and you want for the bottom)

Pin the ring (right side up) to the edge of the circle. Sew the two pieces together along the outer edge, and try to follow the thread line that is already there from where you sewed the tube closed. This is the most tedious part, but you'll be surprised how well it will turn out.

Step Six:

Turn the completed bed inside out, this will hide your sewn edge inside the bed. You may need to go back and trim a bit of the fringed edges off of your final seam, to make a neater look.

Wallah! You are done! Now get a kitty and test it out! It's GUARANTEED to work! :D

********* I will be adding photos of each step later today ************

furrykidsmother
02-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Wow! Great beds and adorable pictures!

catfamily
02-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm printing out those instructions in case Mike wants to help me someday in making them :D I also printed out the other ones instructions from a long time ago but moving and all I'll have to find them.I'll look at both and see if I'm able to try to do it.I'm definetly not a sewer but it's worth giving a try.Thanks Kim.

Laura's Babies
03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Kim, I am so proud of you! Those are wonderful!!! (Me proud? Bet those babies are even prouder!) They came out GREAT! You did a wonderful job on those and look how many you made... WOW! I love the different fabrics and colors you picked out, everyone has their own bed now! You are so creative girl! WAY TO GO KIM!!

elizabethann
03-02-2006, 05:46 PM
I wish I was as talented as you. Those are really cool.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Wow! I printed this out too!! Debbie sent me some fabric ages ago, and I never succeeded in making a bed. Maybe I will understand it better this time :o . Oh, a picture per step would be fantastic, Kim!! :)

lvpets2002
03-03-2006, 12:30 PM
:) ;) Way to go Kim & they look so comfy.. My girls have beds like that but I will confess I bought them.. All your babies are just so adorable..

kimboe
03-03-2006, 01:29 PM
OOoo...If you can put pictures.
I'd be making some many beds :p
But, it'd be cool if you did. Thnaks Kim for the instuctions.

k9krazee
03-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Ooo! Thanks for the instructions :D I printed those off!

Oh, a picture per step would be fantastic, Kim!! :)

I agree!! :D :D